LIVE (and Solo) from the Vista, Sep 09-2017...

sid_9169

I had originally planned to start this "Live Review" on or about Thursday evening of this week. Getting the introductory bits out of the way. Maybe a picture of luggage or two, or an airplane selfie... But, as often happens in life, the story looks like it's going "Live" on me.

Hurricane Irma is looming in the Eastern Caribbean as we speak. (As you read? Or, as I type? Whatever...) I am scheduled to depart ATL for MIA on Friday morning, headed into what appears to be, The Belly of the Beast... This could very well end up as a Live Review of me, as a homeless refugee on the streets of Miami, with a wet suitcase and a boarding pass. Who could have predicted 589 days ago, when I booked this journey, that it would turn out like this?

I'm going to remain hopeful for now that the cruise goes on as planned, however, I am thinking that we will not be calling on the Eastern Caribbean. As I type this, hurricane Irma has become a catagory 5 storm, and is only hours away from making landfall. Warnings have been issued for St Kitts, St Maarten, and Puerto Rico already. 3 of the ports we were supposed to call on...

No matter what happens, I'm bringing you all along with me, so buckle up butter-cup, this could be a bumpy ride... Until we meet again. Sid = out...

• Like 1

I would have been a fellow cruiser. see my comments on Hurricane Irma ugh thread. It's number 301. If you go to Miami please be careful. The airlines will be cancelling flights in our travelling time frame. In Tampa now, hope to get the "F" out of Dodge. I'm stressed out and I know my BP is higher than cruising altitude (airplane). Winds are 175 MPH!

Have you considered cancelling your cruise ?

Considering all the latest weather reports, your vacation may be anything but relaxing.

If you have travel insurance covering "cancel for any reason " you could,at the very least, get full credit for a future cruise.

If you do board the ship, the Captain could make the decision to change the course of the ship. You may be headed for a Canadian or Bermuda cruise !

Thank you for your kind words cruisekitty22, Breezie68, Ziggy7, winddawn, and zencruisers!... To MJSailors, I have no travel insurance, so my intention is to head to Miami as planned Friday morning... That is, unless Carnival announces a cancellation before then...

Have you considered cancelling your cruise ?

Considering all the latest weather reports, your vacation may be anything but relaxing.

If you have travel insurance covering "cancel for any reason " you could,at the very least, get full credit for a future cruise.

If you do board the ship, the Captain could make the decision to change the course of the ship. You may be headed for a Canadian or Bermuda cruise !

Thank you for your kind words cruisekitty22, Breezie68, Ziggy7, winddawn, and zencruisers!... To MJSailors, I have no travel insurance, so my intention is to head to Miami as planned Friday morning... That is, unless Carnival announces a cancellation before then...

Best wishes for a great outcome! Let's hope that beast called Irma doesn't impact your vacation. :) Hope you have a great vacation, and can't wait to hear about it. But please, don't take any unnecessary risks. Safety first, always. Keep us posted how it's going for you. We'd like to know you're safe if nothing else!

Was just on the Vista for the 8/26 sailing. Totally feel for you. That cruise is likely going to be cancelled. Where would they even be able to sail for a replacement itinerary if possible? Maybe Bermuda?

I'm still operating under the premise that this cruise is still going down as planned. Albeit, a completely different itenerary, as our original ports are currently being pounded by Irma... Both NCL and RCL have cancelled some sailings, but I'm still holding out hope for the Vista to be a go...

I just read on another page that they're leaving Jamaica now heading for Grand Cayman as planned.

As promised, a luggage photograph. Although, still completely empty, I'm itching to stuff it to the gills and get this party started!!!...

c0df9f0e09d6d135ece10f03edebe8c6.jpg

Until then, the party starts here at home with a margarita in hopes of good news in the next 24 hours...

26afbd016ec14329ab0e0e2e928bc69c.jpg

sent from my space phone 9169

I'm looking forward to reading your first-hand accounts of cruising with Irma looming. Hope you stay safe.

I am looking forward to your report and thank you for posting as well! ....I always jump on Cruise Critic in interest to see how the cruise-lines handle these weather situations....BTW...I love the reference to the "buckle up buttercup" ad that Carnival did several years ago....still one of my favorites :)

It may be better for you if Carnival does cancel the 9/9/17 cruise because then you will not loose your cruise fare.NCL has cancelled a 9/8 and a 9/9 cruise from FL ,giving the passengers a full refund and a 50% credit toward a future cruise ( check the NCL board regarding this ).

FWIW, we have friends who drove from NY to Hutchinson Island ,FL( barrier island that is about a 2 hour drive north of Ft Lauderdale )last week to visit their new condo. We heard from them today.

FL is getting prepared for Irma.

They will begin the drive home to NY early Thursday to get out of the storm's way.

They are cutting their stay short.,but better to try to be safe.

Hoping that Carnival follows NCL and cancels cruises for the safety of passengers and crew.

I'm still operating under the premise that this cruise is still going down as planned. Albeit, a completely different itenerary, as our original ports are currently being pounded by Irma... Both NCL and RCL have cancelled some sailings, but I'm still holding out hope for the Vista to be a go...

I just read on another page that they're leaving Jamaica now heading for Grand Cayman as planned.

As promised, a luggage photograph. Although, still completely empty, I'm itching to stuff it to the gills and get this party started!!!...

Until then, the party starts here at home with a margarita in hopes of good news in the next 24 hours...

sent from my space phone 9169

Great positivity!! Bon Voyage! <3

Bummer, just saw Carnival cancelled 2 cruises, yours might be next! :(

FROM CARNIVAL:

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, which is now a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Since the safety and security of our guests and crew are our primary concern, it will be necessary to cancel the following cruises given the projected path of the storm:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

We sincerely apologize for the disruption to your vacation plans. We will automatically process a full refund, including any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three week:

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on our plans for our other sailings departing from Central and South Florida this weekend. We will provide another update by 1:00 PM tomorrow.

Following....we just got off the Ecstasy last week....Irma is a scary storm...praying for all in her path....which could even affect us...Piedmont NC.... Your writing style is great and hope you get to cruise soon...thinking this one will be a no go..

Question...what will Carnival do with the ships that have cancelled their cruises...send them out empty but with crew to safer seas?

Yes, they will take them to another port or just send them out of danger!

Thanks! With over forty cruises we have never been impacted by a hurricane...we've missed some ports due to rough weather but that is all...And one of our favorite times to cruise is September:eek: Water is always so nice and warm...and kids have gone back to school!!

It seems that most of the cruise lines have cancelled everything for this weekend out of Florida EXCEPT FOR the Vista... I have to believe that the hammer will fall today, but like I said, I'm still willing to go into the eye of the storm if it's a go.

The Vista is CCL's biggest revenue ship, and I suppose they want to try and salvage this cruise somehow. I know they're biggest concern is the safety of the passengers as well as their largest investment (the Vista) It just seems strange that all the other ships / lines have cancelled, but the Vista remains in limbo (for now...)

Until then, I still hold out hope, but my hopes seem to be waning... If this does end up getting cancelled, I assume that they would refund all of my payments (including Cheers, my pre-paid gratuities, and the premium internet package that I ordered the other day)

If they do cancel / refund, I hate to tell the Carnival fans that I will most likely look into an NCL sailing on the Escape for the near future. As much as I want to sail the Vista, as a solo, it costed me around $2,000 for an inside once I added in the Cheers beverage program and gratuities. The upcoming cruises I've looked at on the Vista are running more than that just for an inside cabin. For just over $1,000 I can do a 7 day on the NCL Escape, with included beverage package...

Thanks! With over forty cruises we have never been impacted by a hurricane...we've missed some ports due to rough weather but that is all...And one of our favorite times to cruise is September:eek: Water is always so nice and warm...and kids have gone back to school!!
You might consider taking cruises out of NY then, so you dont run into cancelled cruise. At worst they change ports .