What cruising wisdom has Irma taught us?

Markanddonna

Take extra medications!

If you're the kind of person that will not want to go anywhere near a storm, make sure you get 'cancel for any reason' added to your insurance policy, and check what the requirements are to invoke it and how it pays out. Regular insurance won't always allow you to just cancel, it will only cover the extra expenses incurred as a result of the storm.

Don't travel during this time if you absolutely have to be back by a certain date. Or at least take a passport with you so that you can leave the ship early and fly back.

I think I will now always book a Caribbean cruise the first week of September as a result of Irma, with insurance, of course. I live on the east coast of Florida 90 minutes from Port Canaveral. I was on the Sept. 3 Oasis of the Seas cruise. Due to Irma, the cruise was extended 3 extra days until September. 13. I am retired, so that was wonderful. I cruised on a lovely ship with lots of electricity, food, and good weather instead of hunkering down in a hurricane or trying to evacuate. We had secured our home just in case. Worked out well. But so sad for those who lost a lot in the storm.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

If you are booked on a cruise and a Hurricane is going to hit stay home even if you do not have insurance. Risking your life for a few thousand dollars is not worth it .

No risk to my life at all in sailing. Cruise ships avoid hurricanes, period. They are not going to risk it. We were much safer on the ship. A lady who lives near me had a tree crash into her house 10 feet from where she was sound asleep during the hurricane. On the cruise we never had any bad weather at all.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums