Fresh Off the Anthem.....Any Questions???

musicman85

I am curious about the dress as well. Not on formal nights but all the other nights. I'm part of the old school..slacks, dresses, nice shirts. Seems jeans are more acceptable and polo shirts are too.

Can you give more info on the dress for the 7 nights (excludes formal)? I plan on bringing jeans for most days. I will certain bring slacks too. Seems there are casual nights and smart casual nights, but my history says night 1 was the only casual night on all our cruises. Was there more than 1 casual night? Thanks!

There was a formal night, but I saw some "formal " shorts and t-shirts. Any other night no one seemed to care, saw no swimming attire, but otherwise most anything seems OK.

Interesting. we heard there were two formal nights...Night 2 and 7 :) I don't usually go to dinner in the dining room on formal nights because we don't like dressing up. We do wear slacks and nice shirts for the other nights though.

Thanks for sharing....

Edited by slyster

Subject of Voom, worked great other than the day in Halifax. That day it acted squirrelly and was even asked about how it worked that day by our Genie. Side oddity, the Genie provided one set of codes and in our suite folder had a different set. Both set of codes worked.

Sent from a mobile device

I came to cruise critic to ask about dress in the dining room. I was told that men dress shorts were not allowed in the dining room on the first or last night so my sons dressed in slacks and nice shirt each evening. Formal night dress slacks and long sleeve shirt (forgot to pack ties). Well they were not pleased when we saw gym shorts, T shirts and caps in the dining room each night. However I did also see tuxedos.....

I will not be sailing on RC either..staff is over worked and understaffed. The Royal Esplanade was hard to navigate when the shops were trying to sell their $10 items, which was quite often. We enjoyed Boleros each night for before dinner cocktails, however one night we walked in and left as we sat for 10 minutes and no bar waiter....Did not care for the way our shore excursion (and others) in Portland gathered to find your bus. It was a huge cattle call on land, if you were in the back of the herd...you could not get through the crowd to get to your bus (if you heard it called)

Go with an open mind and hopefully it will meet your expectations. The Anthem of the Seas did not meet mine.

... The Royal Esplanade was hard to navigate when the shops were trying to sell their $10 items, which was quite often...

Agree 100% on this comment. Sad part is it seemed at no point in time something wasn't setup in the middle. Only real solution if trying to get from on end to the other was going up the stairs outside of Guest Services and going down the set outside of Izumi.

I also agree about the congestion in the Esplanade because of merchandise tables. We were walking through it during the day we were in Saint John, and commented that it was so nice to not have to dodge tables since they couldn't sell things when we were in port!

Maybe it's because we tend to eat at off times (generally early for all three meals), but we never had a problem finding seating in the Windjammer for meals we ate there. We also found the staff friendly and helpful. Not discounting others' experiences at all, just relaying ours for those who might be worried.

As for excursions, we avoid cruise line excursions whenever possible. Although independent excursions and tours are usually cheaper, the primary motivation for us is smaller groups. In Boston we toured on our own, with a Charlie Card (transit pass). In Portland we had a kayak tour with 4 other couples, none of them from the ship. Bar Harbor was a private van tour with 2 other couples, Saint John a kayak trip with one other couple, and Halifax a private van tour with 8 other people. I can highly recommend everything we did this trip, so if anyone wants details, I will be happy to share!

We did not get a time for the self assisted walk off, even though the schedule seemed to indicate that there were separate times. Walked off at 8:40, were told we had to vacate the cabins by 9 AM, and we were at our bus by 9 AM, no backlog taking the elevators down to Deck 5. My wife did not have her SeaPass, no problem. Customs believed everything written on the paperwork, no questions or searches.

The Long Run played 90 minute sets of all Eagles music, did it quite well. Rock the Boat was the house band, played all kinds of rock from the 50's through the 80's when I heard them, also did well they opened with two Ventures songs the first time I heard them, they had me. Joyce Kuo, who played lead guitar for We Will Rock You, did some solo acoustic instrumentals, very mellow.

Thank you. I love Rock the Boat. Hope they're still on for my sailing. And I haven't seen The Long Run yet so I'm super excited!!!

Agree 100% on this comment. Sad part is it seemed at no point in time something wasn't setup in the middle. Only real solution if trying to get from on end to the other was going up the stairs outside of Guest Services and going down the set outside of Izumi.

Same thing on the Explorer all 5 times we sailed on her!!!! It is really an accident waiting to happen since someone is bound to trip or fall with all the madness going on by passengers pushing and shoving who think they are getting such a real bargain.:(

MARAPRINCE

I do have reservations for the show We will rock you...but is there a way to see it twice? Can I be stand by for a previous showing without giving up my reserved time? and is it reserved seating or do I need to get there early? Thank you!

I do have reservations for the show We will rock you...but is there a way to see it twice? Can I be stand by for a previous showing without giving up my reserved time? and is it reserved seating or do I need to get there early? Thank you!
Once the stand by line opens it is just that, open. No check for reservations.

No reserved seating, with the exception of an area for grand suites and above plus Pinnacle (think Diamond Plus as well).

For the 2:30 Friday afternoon, 9/8/17, show they did not even check for reservations, so there must have been very few. Your reservation is just to get in, seats are first come, first served. In addition, the center two sections of the balcony are reserved for Stars and Pinnacles until 10 minutes before the show, then anyone was allowed in those sections. There were still a few available seats in the balcony at show time. The doors open 45 minutes before the show, and supposedly with 15 minutes to go the seats are open to the public, so it should be easy to see a show without a reservation, no one will know you have a reservation for another show.

We're on the Anthem tomorrow. Did you use the Royal IQ app on the ship.

We did, and many times it was helpful. But there were also some frustrations, because it could be glitchy at times, and it did not include all activities or other info. My biggest gripe is that it does not include dining times for the different venues. You'd think that would be a relatively simple addition.

I am fresh off the Anthem coming off of the 9 night Canada/New England cruise. My sea legs are still there, and I swear the room is swaying......ahh the after affects of a cruise :)

I'll write a review with some pictures soon, but wanted to open the floor for any up-coming cruisers with questions.

Don't let the negative reviews deter you from having a good time. Yes the ship is big, and yes there are thousands of people, but on my cruise there was always a chair by the indoor and outdoor pool (not the solarium), and a table in the Windjammer Marketplace (buffet) if you looked around. It's like finding a parking spot, you can't always get a pull out, so if you drive around, you'll find another one!

I promise this isn't turning into a review, but just remember that the public spaces with food and entertainment are really only on decks 3-5, and 13-16. The rest are staterooms, and while the ship has a mega layout, navigating it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and I'll try my best to answer them :)

Stay calm and cruise on!!! :D

Who was the Cruise Director.

Also can you share what you learned from Rock the Boat behind the scenes

How does the new sea pass protocol work. We are on Harmony in Nov and are told we get our sea pass in our rooms. How do we buy drinks while waiting to go to our rooms.

They would scan the barcode on your SetSail pass for any purchases made befire you have your SeaPass cards.

Newbie questions

We just made a last minute Bermuda booking. Advance reservations for iFly and North Star are sold out. How do I book them once we are on board?

Do we need to get a time assigned for self assisted walk off? How does work?

I got off on 9/9, self assisted walk off was available as soon as they were able to let people off.

ifly was broken and they needed a part. not sure if they've fixed it in the interim.

I came to cruise critic to ask about dress in the dining room. I was told that men dress shorts were not allowed in the dining room on the first or last night so my sons dressed in slacks and nice shirt each evening. Formal night dress slacks and long sleeve shirt (forgot to pack ties). Well they were not pleased when we saw gym shorts, T shirts and caps in the dining room each night. However I did also see tuxedos.....

I will not be sailing on RC either..staff is over worked and understaffed. The Royal Esplanade was hard to navigate when the shops were trying to sell their $10 items, which was quite often. We enjoyed Boleros each night for before dinner cocktails, however one night we walked in and left as we sat for 10 minutes and no bar waiter....Did not care for the way our shore excursion (and others) in Portland gathered to find your bus. It was a huge cattle call on land, if you were in the back of the herd...you could not get through the crowd to get to your bus (if you heard it called)

Go with an open mind and hopefully it will meet your expectations. The Anthem of the Seas did not meet mine.

This is the time ( 1st and last night) when there is NO "dress code", because your luggage has not been delivered or already put out for departure.

Who was the Cruise Director.

Also can you share what you learned from Rock the Boat behind the scenes

Cruise director was Marc Walker, but he is leaving this week. I believe it will be Dru Pavlov, according to the CD thread here on CC.

How difficult was it to get on the bumper cars, skating, Flowrider, etc...?

We did the bumper cars one day with about a 20 minute wait. Great fun! We didn't try to do skating, but the couple times I walked through it didn't seem to be full, so I'd bet you could do that almost anytime it's open. Flowrider had some longish lines for standup surfing some days, but we did boogie boarding with only about 5 other people one afternoon. The staff was wonderful with this old lady -- so much fun! On our previous cruises, the boogie boarding had longer lines than standup. I think there were so few kids on our cruise that it was the opposite, with the "diehard" Flowrider fans on board preferring the standup.

How does the new sea pass protocol work. We are on Harmony in Nov and are told we get our sea pass in our rooms. How do we buy drinks while waiting to go to our rooms.

As Bob wrote, you just use the SetSail pass until you get in your cabin. When you checkin at an iPad or desk in the terminal, they stamp your SetSail pass. Keep it in your hand, it is checked at least a half dozen times as you go to the waiting area (if you are there before boarding starts) and then as you board!

I got off on 9/9, self assisted walk off was available as soon as they were able to let people off.

ifly was broken and they needed a part. not sure if they've fixed it in the interim.

We did iFly the first sea day -- it was a rush! I was sorry to see it was broken later in the cruise, for those who did not get the chance.

We were among the first group off with self-assist, right at 7:30. We were at our gate at EWR (using Uber) by 8:30!

We just came off the cruise you left but to Bermuda,,,,,loved it only thing was food in. mDR but windjammer has so many options.........,..

I am fresh off the Anthem coming off of the 9 night Canada/New England cruise. My sea legs are still there, and I swear the room is swaying......ahh the after affects of a cruise :)

I'll write a review with some pictures soon, but wanted to open the floor for any up-coming cruisers with questions.

Don't let the negative reviews deter you from having a good time. Yes the ship is big, and yes there are thousands of people, but on my cruise there was always a chair by the indoor and outdoor pool (not the solarium), and a table in the Windjammer Marketplace (buffet) if you looked around. It's like finding a parking spot, you can't always get a pull out, so if you drive around, you'll find another one!

I promise this isn't turning into a review, but just remember that the public spaces with food and entertainment are really only on decks 3-5, and 13-16. The rest are staterooms, and while the ship has a mega layout, navigating it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and I'll try my best to answer them :)

Stay calm and cruise on!!! :D

We purchased the band onboard it was only 5 bucks, it worked fine for us no issues just know you can't use it to get on or off ship. It they tell you this when you purchase

Did you use the Wow bands?

Was there anywhere they didn't work? Especially interested in using them getting on and off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums