French Troops Open Fire in St. Marten

elcuchio24

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/french-troops-open-fire-sxm/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_term=Editorial&utm_content=100000072304783

Sounds like there is a little more going on in St. M then what the official word for the local government is. The good news it it sounds like they are regaining order.

Would love to see more reports. "Open fire" seems over the top

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thats from a french newspaper talking to a commander on the ground, I think its accurate. BUT, I'm sure they were shots in the air....not actually with an intent to harm, just scare off

Here is a massive article while covering topics of the entirety of Irma's impact on the Caribbean in general that details many problems in St Martin. It seems that rather then "over the top", many of the issues may have been understated to this point. Desperation can cause behavior not normally seen and the acts of a portion of a society doesn't represent the whole...but seriously who goes and steals TV's, jewelry, electronics, and money in the aftermath of a cataclysmic disaster? Go take food or water from a store because you have nothing to eat or drink makes sense, but stealing material possessions at the end of a gun barrel/knife is despicable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4875370/Islanders-fight-scraps-food-St-Martin.html

Here is a massive article while covering topics of the entirety of Irma's impact on the Caribbean in general that details many problems in St Martin. It seems that rather then "over the top", many of the issues may have been understated to this point. Desperation can cause behavior not normally seen and the acts of a portion of a society doesn't represent the whole...but seriously who goes and steals TV's, jewelry, electronics, and money in the aftermath of a cataclysmic disaster? Go take food or water from a store because you have nothing to eat or drink makes sense, but stealing material possessions at the end of a gun barrel/knife is despicable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4875370/Islanders-fight-scraps-food-St-Martin.html

The local gov't knows that this will not be great for tourism, so it doesnt surprise me that they downplayed it quite a bit

I would have been happily surprised if looting didn't happen. I witnessed via tv, riots in Paris and the US and in Toronto and Vancouver Canada where cars were turned over, stores looted and people robbed. This is not that surprising to me. Disgusting but not that surprising.