Breakaway 9/17 NYC-Bermuda Reroute due to Hurricane Jose ?

F27TW

We have some friends leaving tomorrow on this NYC-Bermuda sailing and are curious what the speculation is re: a reroute due to the projected path of this storm.

Canada/Maine, maybe?

Curious if anyone may be in the know on this one!

We have some friends leaving tomorrow on this NYC-Bermuda sailing and are curious what the speculation is re: a reroute due to the projected path of this storm.

Canada/Maine, maybe?

Curious if anyone may be in the know on this one!

Heading east then south to Bermuda

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm betting the ship is going to hightail it out of NYC and head straight east, like previous poster alluded to. Breakaway will not go north, because the storm will be chasing it pretty much the whole way.

She will make a safe loop around to south and back west and still go to Bermuda.

(I'm only suggesting because this is what the Anthem did last Labor Day when Hermione was knocking on Jersey's coast. We still had bad seas the first sea day, but after that it was beautiful.)

I'm sure they will still have a ball.

So the bigger question is when will Jose turn back toward Bermuda. It's suppose to make a U-Turn around New York and head south. I could see the Breakaway heading west toward the coast and heading north.

There are only a couple of outlier models that show that u turn. The majority of models and the last official NHC forecast show nothing of the sort. We'll see what the new forecast that will be released in a few minutes shows. In any case going south (not west because you can't go very far west) and then east takes you into the worst part of the storm over the next 2 days. I suspect they'll likely try to go east first.

Update: Official 11 pm forecast shows no u turn through 8 pm Thursday.

Edited by njhorseman

... leaving tomorrow on this NYC-Bermuda ... curious what the speculation is re: a reroute ... Canada/Maine, maybe? ... anyone may be in the know on this one!
Nothing to speculate & nobody in the know as it will depend on tomorrow's latest weather data & forecast model, radar & navigational info feeds for the BA Capt. to decide upon ... have trust & faith, they are good & we've rode in some pretty rough seas over the years on NCL ... twice on the much smaller one - the Crown in the 45,000 tonnage class to/from Bermuda.

Canada/NE ports - forgetabout it, Gem is up that way joining other ships from various lines doing the popular Fall foilage sailings ... don't believe there's a berth for the mega-ships to join the party ... not to mention, imagine tendering ashore & coming back. But, never say never - pack a fleece jacket & windbreaker, just in case.

BA typically cruise easy & slow at 13 to 15 knots out to Bermuda stretched over, more or less, 3 days ... like others posted above, most likely - sail northeast out into the big Atlantic, staying as far away from Jose as possible - but, turn south toward Bermuda at some point & bring her safely into Dockyard ... probably run all 3 or 4 engines at full speed ahead, doing 22 knots. Those with Fwd staterooms & on higher decks, be prepared with rocking & rolling at some point during this crossing.

BA has been tracked live on AIS data again, she was running about 18 knots slowing to 16 knots now - ETA to NYC is around 8:00 UTC (that's 4 AM, EDT ... super, super early) Have your friends rise-n-shine early, get to the pier ... check-in and board early to start to enjoy the cruise.

Happy & safe sailing on this week's cruise ... unlikely to be a smooth ride heading up to Bermuda, but she's a big ship and even with 15' waves, we barely felt any motion ... Deck 10 Fwd. For safety reasons, outdoors were closed for a while & roped off.

There are only a couple of outlier models that show that u turn. The majority of models and the last official NHC forecast show nothing of the sort. We'll see what the new forecast that will be released in a few minutes shows. In any case going south (not west because you can't go very far west) and then east takes you into the worst part of the storm over the next 2 days. I suspect they'll likely try to go east first.

Update: Official 11 pm forecast shows no u turn through 8 pm Thursday.

97cdfd1b96c47994eacd36b287a967c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums