Help Me Choose! Princess, Celebrity, or P&O

crewsgirl

I sailed to NZ from Sydney in January this year. The seas between Australia and NZ were flat, very little movement.

We made it into the fjords, the weather was poor - drizzle and quite cold, but the water was smooth. So although we made it in, the view was a little restricted, although that did add to the ambience.

As noted by MicCanberra, I think it’s the luck of the draw but I hope you do get to make it in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! Just thought I would check in after another call from my TA today. We decided to cost and compare X to Princess Majestic...and I have just spent the last 3 hours reading reviews of the Majestic. I was so excited because the price was great and its a new ship, but after all these negative reviews on CC, I am ready to skip that trip all together. I am wondering how the Aussies will respond to this ship this upcoming season. Would love to hear from any of you booked on this one. Currently leaning heavily on Celebrity.

We are interested in visiting Australia/NZ (which is a huge bucket list item for me) and I am starting to research all available options, but would love to hear recommendations from seasoned cruisers. Definitely have to hit Sydney, Melbourne, and all the great scenic places in New Zealand....we are young, active 60s, enjoy fine dining but certainly are not food snobs, prefer a verandah cabin, but we are most interested in a port intensive itinerary with nice floating accommodations for a decent price. We have sailed on HAL, RCCL, Princess, & a Viking river cruise, but I am not familiar with the best way to book this trip. I should mention that I might like to try Celebrity cruise line as well. Should we use our US TA? Or, book with one there in AUS? Any other advantages/disadvantages I should know about. We are thinking probably Jan. 2019. Is January the best month to visit? If not then, when would you suggest? I would like to avoid typhoon/earthquake season if possible. :eek: Ideas on what to pack for Jan. there welcome as well.

I appreciate all information and opinions and thank you in advance.

Why not HAL again? We did HAL for a 14 night round trip out of Sydney last year. The itinerary was fabulous, through the wonderful Fjordland, up the east coast of the South Island and then the various spots on the North Island. The size of the vessel - the Noordam - suited us at just under 2000 pax, and of course the service on HAL is always superb. Next year we are doing a 16 nighter from Auckland to Perth with Celebrity. I think if you're used to HAL or Celebrity then P&O Australia is definitely one to steer clear of. I wouldn't dream of booking through an Australian agent when you can book via a US agent as Australians pay way, way, way more for cruises than do Americans. We would love to be able to get our cruises for what you pay in the US. Even drink packages are more expensive. I just booked a drink package for our forthcoming cruise as it was offered at a 20% discount if booked within the last few days. The 20% discount actually brought it down to what Americans pay for the same package. Sad, but true. Whoever you decide to book with, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Oooh, can I throw in another suggestion: Azamara Journey, Sydney to Auckland. Friends from Miami did that cruise previously and loved it. Much smaller vessels with a really superior level of service. We are HAL and Celebrity people but so look forward to trying Azamara one day. Quite a bit more expensive, but I believe the extra cost is considered well worthwhile.

Oooh, can I throw in another suggestion: Azamara Journey, Sydney to Auckland. Friends from Miami did that cruise previously and loved it. Much smaller vessels with a really superior level of service. We are HAL and Celebrity people but so look forward to trying Azamara one day. Quite a bit more expensive, but I believe the extra cost is considered well worthwhile.

Problem for us is that those small ship premium lines do few, if any Sydney round trips.

Would love to try Azamara and Silverseas

Thanks so much for the response. P&O just plummeted to the bottom of my list. ;p I think I am going to be comparing Princess/Celebrity/HAL although I have read that the Noordam is tired also and headed for dry dock.

We usually prefer to do our own independent shore explorations. Do you find that is rather easy in the NZ ports? I definitely want to enjoy the fabulous NZ Sauvignon Blanc wines from the Marlborough region. Is that possible on these cruises?

We cruised with Celebrity around New Zealand and then on to Tasmania and Sydney. We had a great time and booked all of our tours with local operators.

This year we have cruised twice on P&O and enjoyed both. P&O are not as good as Celebrity in some ways, but don't write them off. They are competitive on price.

We have cruised 17 times with Celebrity, twice with P&O, once with HAL, once RCL and a few other lines. Can't comment on Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are interested in visiting Australia/NZ (which is a huge bucket list item for me) and I am starting to research all available options, but would love to hear recommendations from seasoned cruisers. Definitely have to hit Sydney, Melbourne, and all the great scenic places in New Zealand....we are young, active 60s, enjoy fine dining but certainly are not food snobs, prefer a verandah cabin, but we are most interested in a port intensive itinerary with nice floating accommodations for a decent price. We have sailed on HAL, RCCL, Princess, & a Viking river cruise, but I am not familiar with the best way to book this trip. I should mention that I might like to try Celebrity cruise line as well. Should we use our US TA? Or, book with one there in AUS? Any other advantages/disadvantages I should know about. We are thinking probably Jan. 2019. Is January the best month to visit? If not then, when would you suggest? I would like to avoid typhoon/earthquake season if possible. :eek: Ideas on what to pack for Jan. there welcome as well.

I appreciate all information and opinions and thank you in advance.

On our first trip to Australia, we did a Princess cruise that also included New Zealand. Before the cruise, we did a land tour that was also handled by Princess. They did an amazing job and it included several flights within the country. We went to Ayers Rock (also called Uluru), the Great Barrier Reef and more. Princess provided the guides, air, buses, hotels, everything. If you really want to see Australia, do this too. You won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruised with Celebrity around New Zealand and then on to Tasmania and Sydney. We had a great time and booked all of our tours with local operators.

This year we have cruised twice on P&O and enjoyed both. P&O are not as good as Celebrity in some ways, but don't write them off. They are competitive on price.

We have cruised 17 times with Celebrity, twice with P&O, once with HAL, once RCL and a few other lines. Can't comment on Princess.

Maybe your P&O cruises were with P&O UK which is different from the Australian company. It is like comparing a full-service airline with a budget airline. We have cruised on many different lines and twice this year on P&O Aust. We went because it was a week's holiday at a very low price, but anyone who expects it to be similar to Princess or Celebrity would be very disappointed. I am not criticizing the stewards. I feel that that are just as good as on other cruiselines. It is just that the product is different. :D

On our first trip to Australia, we did a Princess cruise that also took us to New Zealand. Before the cruise, we did a land tour that started in Sydney, it included several flights within the country. We went to Ayers Rock (Uluru) the Great Barrier Reef and more. Princess handled everything, guides, flights, buses and food. If you really want to see Australia, include this in with your trip. You won’t regret it.

Maybe your P&O cruises were with P&O UK which is different from the Australian company. It is like comparing a full-service airline with a budget airline. We have cruised on many different lines and twice this year on P&O Aust. We went because it was a week's holiday at a very low price, but anyone who expects it to be similar to Princess or Celebrity would be very disappointed. I am not criticizing the stewards. I feel that that are just as good as on other cruiselines. It is just that the product is different. :D

Chalk and Cheese.

On our first trip to Australia, we did a Princess cruise that also took us to New Zealand. Before the cruise, we did a land tour that started in Sydney, it included several flights within the country. We went to Ayers Rock (Uluru) the Great Barrier Reef and more. Princess handled everything, guides, flights, buses and food. If you really want to see Australia, include this in with your trip. You won’t regret it.

True, a cruise won’t show you some of the best parts of Aus or NZ

I have not been on Princess or Celebrity yet, but you could not pay me to go on a P&O ship again. I was on the Adonia when it was leased to fathom. LOVED the itinerary and the Impact Guides and Cruise Staff that were fathom crew. Was less than impressed with the cabin hosts and dining room crew that were P&O. The difference in attitude was night and day. Fathom crew was bubbly, friendly, helpful, etc. The P&O crew was stiff, unapproachable, and acted like they were doing me a favor when I asked for gluten-free foods (which they had been notified I would need) or even a refill of my water.

I have not been on Princess or Celebrity yet, but you could not pay me to go on a P&O ship again. I was on the Adonia when it was leased to fathom. LOVED the itinerary and the Impact Guides and Cruise Staff that were fathom crew. Was less than impressed with the cabin hosts and dining room crew that were P&O. The difference in attitude was night and day. Fathom crew was bubbly, friendly, helpful, etc. The P&O crew was stiff, unapproachable, and acted like they were doing me a favor when I asked for gluten-free foods (which they had been notified I would need) or even a refill of my water.

Again though that’s P&O uk not Aus

Why not HAL again? We did HAL for a 14 night round trip out of Sydney last year. The itinerary was fabulous, through the wonderful Fjordland, up the east coast of the South Island and then the various spots on the North Island. The size of the vessel - the Noordam - suited us at just under 2000 pax, and of course the service on HAL is always superb. Next year we are doing a 16 nighter from Auckland to Perth with Celebrity. I think if you're used to HAL or Celebrity then P&O Australia is definitely one to steer clear of. I wouldn't dream of booking through an Australian agent when you can book via a US agent as Australians pay way, way, way more for cruises than do Americans. We would love to be able to get our cruises for what you pay in the US. Even drink packages are more expensive. I just booked a drink package for our forthcoming cruise as it was offered at a 20% discount if booked within the last few days. The 20% discount actually brought it down to what Americans pay for the same package. Sad, but true. Whoever you decide to book with, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Good points! I do enjoy HAL and the smaller ship is so nice for getting around. We have friends who loved the Noordam down under and highly recommended it as well. My only concern is that I have read that the Noordam is quite aged, and due for dry dock. There was a great itinerary however, the pricing was more. I may need to look at that one again.

The drink packages have just gotten ridiculous. And after purchasing a drink package, our friends were then told that the wine she liked was NOT included....ha! That was a burn.

And thanks for the tip, I will be booking through my TA here for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
I have not been on Princess or Celebrity yet, but you could not pay me to go on a P&O ship again. I was on the Adonia when it was leased to fathom.

That's not P&O Oz. You might as well be comparing Woolworths UK to Woolworths Oz. Two completely different companies.

Given what's been said, I thought I ought to stand up a little for P&O Oz.

Pros:

Cheaper. Sometimes very cheap.

More interesting itineraries. Especially PNG.

More home ports. Like Brisbane and Cairns.

Some nice free dining options.

Good kids services and facilities.

Well refurbished public areas.

Cons:

You need to be able to take your fellow passengers as you find them.

Decorum is not much of a priority.

Pantry food only barely OK.

Tired cabins.

Old hand me down ships.

That said, if price and departure port was not an issue, I would go on Solstice every time.

That's not P&O Oz. You might as well be comparing Woolworths UK to Woolworths Oz. Two completely different companies.

Given what's been said, I thought I ought to stand up a little for P&O Oz.

Pros:

Cheaper. Sometimes very cheap.

More interesting itineraries. Especially PNG.

More home ports. Like Brisbane and Cairns.

Some nice free dining options.

Good kids services and facilities.

Well refurbished public areas.

Cons:

You need to be able to take your fellow passengers as you find them.

Decorum is not much of a priority.

Pantry food only barely OK.

Tired cabins.

Old hand me down ships.

That said, if price and departure port was not an issue, I would go on Solstice every time.

Good summary,

I will add that the length of the cruise changes the demographic on every line and this applies to P&O as well.