ST Maarten to open Early November

pattymindy

Thanks for the confirmation of this date. After reading this I am not sure how many ships will actually be able to dock there, but it exceeds expectations that any ships would be able to go there so soon. For the sake of those who depend on tourism for income (most of the island?), I hope this can happen as scheduled.

Hopefully this is true and we will get to visit on my cruise - and give much needed revenue to the locals

Kudos to you. So many of the devastated islands are solely dependent on tourist dollars. We are only there for the day but we can buy a drink or something to eat or a trinket or two and help them get back on their feet.

Kudos to you. So many of the devastated islands are solely dependent on tourist dollars. We are only there for the day but we can buy a drink or something to eat or a trinket or two and help them get back on their feet.

I booked this cruise as a way to see other islands as we have been to Barbados 11 times - it may not work out as we planned due to the hurricanes but I really want to visit as many of the original literary as we can - we visit these islands as tourists because they are our idea of paradise - they put up with us so only fair that in their time of need we do all we can to assist them

I don't believe it.

All of the cruise ship ports depend on tourism for a large portion of your economy. Locals need to work.

Consider that 80% of shore excursions are based on beach days, boat rides, snorkel trips, dive trips that don't require much infrastructure.

Cuba reopened a few days after being hit with a Cat 4 storm. At the same time the US state dept warned of power and water outages in Havana. Key West cruise terminal (featured on many news channels) reopened the week after the storm.

Yes, it will take time to fix homes and hotels, but the tourists will infuse the money needed to restore the islands.

I don't believe it.

neither do I. And if they port is open what will there be to do other than maybe a little shopping? I feel sorry for all those depending on tourism but I also know I would rather spend a day at sea or some other port than stop at a port that really isn't ready for hoard of people.

neither do I. And if they port is open what will there be to do other than maybe a little shopping? I feel sorry for all those depending on tourism but I also know I would rather spend a day at sea or some other port than stop at a port that really isn't ready for hoard of people.

Like someone else had mentioned, 80% of the tours are beach days, snorkeling or diving. That can still be done. Also there are tours of the Islands....primarily for the landscape which will still be there. Then yes, a bit of shopping and a drink or a meal. Every little bit of your tourist dollar helps. Oh and, they also get money for port fees and what they sell to the ship itself.

So, by all means, stay onboard but let those that wish to help the community come ashore and spend a bit.