Recent Millenium cruisers - is it ship-shape??

Sammy1

I think it’s a case of there being a lid for every pot. I think S class is ok, but I love M class. :)

Well stated! I'm thinking we should go ahead and book. I've been reading some of the recent cruiser reviews of the ports we'll visit, and can't resist.

Well stated! I'm thinking we should go ahead and book. I've been reading some of the recent cruiser reviews of the ports we'll visit, and can't resist.

Just don't set your expectations for the ship too high and focus on the ports and you'll be fine. Look at the ship as transportation to get there. And, remember to pack your earplugs.

We were on the recent cruise around Japan and had a great time. The ship is looking a little old, it is true. The tables for two are too close together. Sometimes it was hard to find a table in the buffet and sometimes we had a buzzer for a table in the MDR when we turned up at a popular time. It is also true that the live music in the coffee shop in particular was very loud indeed. However we enjoyed it all. The service was terrific. The drinks were generous. The food in the MDR was good and the buffet was fine. While not in control of Celebrity the weather and the seas were wonderful! The ports were interesting and organisation that was in the hands of Celebrity seemed to be well handled. Immigration was the usual disaster as it is anywhere. For me, a hole in a curtain, a stain on a chair, or some ill fitting cupboards - while not ideal - are really easy to get over. If the same is not true for your wife, I would pick a different ship. As for me, I loved our aft balcony and was happy to forgive the old shower curtain for it!

We were on the Millennium in Alaska in early July. We absolutely prefer S-class ships but the Millennium's itinerary was better so we bit the bullet and went with an M-class. As others have stated it is "tired looking" in many areas but still in very good shape. We were in a celebrity suite which had not been updated (and had some horrendous art) but was perfectly fine. The crew however was the absolute best we have ever had on a cruise and more than made up for deficits in other areas. Because of the itinerary we are considering another cruise aboard the Millennium in January. We would rather stick with Celebrity than switch to another cruise line.

We are currently on the Millenium from Tokyo to Shanghai in a Celebrity Suite. I think the suite is very nice and well laid out and everything is up to par except the bathtub has lots of dings. We eat in Luminae every night which is very good. We've also eaten in the sushi restaurant which was great and Qsine which I thought was overpriced. The buffet is not to my taste and I found the Aqua Spa meals very disappointing. The issue I'm having is that our suite is under the pool grill and we hear scraping, carts and heavy walking all night which disturbs our sleep. I've complained at least 5 times now and we are more than halfway through the cruise and still having a problem. The lack of response is as troubling as the noise at this point. We are frequent cruisers but usually not on Celebrity. From now on I think we will choose another cruise line.

We are currently on the Millenium from Tokyo to Shanghai in a Celebrity Suite. I think the suite is very nice and well laid out and everything is up to par except the bathtub has lots of dings. We eat in Luminae every night which is very good. We've also eaten in the sushi restaurant which was great and Qsine which I thought was overpriced. The buffet is not to my taste and I found the Aqua Spa meals very disappointing. The issue I'm having is that our suite is under the pool grill and we hear scraping, carts and heavy walking all night which disturbs our sleep. I've complained at least 5 times now and we are more than halfway through the cruise and still having a problem. The lack of response is as troubling as the noise at this point. We are frequent cruisers but usually not on Celebrity. From now on I think we will choose another cruise line.

I’m sorry you aren’t getting good rest, but really, this is not the fault of Millennium or Celebrity. And unfortunately, other than not taking care of the pool grill, or moving you to another suite, I don’t know what anyone on the ship can do to improve your experience. They’re not making the noise on purpose. It’s pretty unavoidable when they move heavy trolleys and equipment around.

This is the sort of situation that research can prevent. If you don’t always check what is above and below your cabin/suite before you book it, you should start now, or get a good travel agent who will do this for you. There are many threads on Cruise Critic on the pros and cons of various cabins and locations, on every cruise line.

• 2 weeks later...
I’m sorry you aren’t getting good rest, but really, this is not the fault of Millennium or Celebrity. And unfortunately, other than not taking care of the pool grill, or moving you to another suite, I don’t know what anyone on the ship can do to improve your experience. They’re not making the noise on purpose. It’s pretty unavoidable when they move heavy trolleys and equipment around.

This is the sort of situation that research can prevent. If you don’t always check what is above and below your cabin/suite before you book it, you should start now, or get a good travel agent who will do this for you. There are many threads on Cruise Critic on the pros and cons of various cabins and locations, on every cruise line.

We learned the hard way to book a cabin with other cabins above, below, and across the corridor and to mark our reservation "no upgrades". The cruise line's idea of an "upgrade" may put you right above or right below a noisy venue.

I sailed the Millie after the refurb (2016) and thought the ship was tired . I was in an Aqua cabin which was fine but many of my fellow cruisers complained of poor bathrooms.

I thought the standard of food in the Oceanview cafe was very poor.

Entertainment was sub-standard.

Sorry but you did ask.

Annie

Was your Aqua cabin on Deck 11 and if so, were you disturbed by the noise from the rooftop terrace? Thanks for any info you can give about your cabin.

Glad to see that the Mellenium seems to be in good cruising order.

We're due for our fist cruise with Celebrity from Shanghai to Tokyo in October 2018.

We have cruised before with P&O and have enjoyed it,after all a cruise is what you make of it.

If we had believed some of the reviews of P&O ships you would think the ships would be better of at the bottom of the sea.

I'm looking forward to this cruise along with two other couples and I'm determined to enjoy myself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Glad to see that the Mellenium seems to be in good cruising order.

We're due for our fist cruise with Celebrity from Shanghai to Tokyo in October 2018.

We have cruised before with P&O and have enjoyed it,after all a cruise is what you make of it.

If we had believed some of the reviews of P&O ships you would think the ships would be better of at the bottom of the sea.

I'm looking forward to this cruise along with two other couples and I'm determined to enjoy myself.

Haha...I love your outlook, especially your 2nd last statement! (y)

We decided to go ahead and book, along with a small group of friends.

We are a little spoiled, I guess, after sailing on several S-class ships, but thrilled to hear our favourite specialty restaurant, the Murano, is now on the Millenium.

I'm now busy researching and planning excursions for all the wonderful ports.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Yup, although still a year away I have booked 3 hotel rooms in Beijing, within walking distance of the forbidden city.

I have been to China before whereas my fellow travelers have not.

I'm looking forward to comparing my first cruise on an American ship as apposed to my previous cruises on ,I suppose,a quintessential British ships of the P&O line.

Was your Aqua cabin on Deck 11 and if so, were you disturbed by the noise from the rooftop terrace? Thanks for any info you can give about your cabin.

We were...but we were in a cabin very close to the elevators...but friends who had an aft, middle cabin didn't mention any problems. LuAnn

We are a little spoiled, I guess, after sailing on several S-class ships, but thrilled to hear our favourite specialty restaurant, the Murano, is now on the Millenium.

Sorry, but to the best of my knowledge and per the Celebrity website, Murano is NOT currently one of the

specialty restaurants on the Millennium. It does, however, have Tuscan and Qsine.

Mike

Sorry, but to the best of my knowledge and per the Celebrity website, Murano is NOT currently one of the

specialty restaurants on the Millennium. It does, however, have Tuscan and Qsine.

Mike

Yes, that’s correct. We just disembarked Millennium earlier this month, and there is no Murano restaurant, only Tuscan Grill, Qsine, and Sushi on Five.

Mike

That's ok....Tuscan and Qsine are our 2nd and 3rd favourites. Its all good! :D

Thanks for clarifying.

• 2 months later...

I sailed on the Millennium B2B Vancouver to Tokyo then Tokyo to Shanghai, a total of 28 days in Sept. 2016. I loved the ship. The crew was always helpful, food in the MDR was very good, balcony room was very comfortable. To me, the fact that the ship is not humongous & doesn’t have all the “kid features” is a plus. The ship is a comfortable size, not too big, not too small.

We were onMillennium in Asia twice. The itineraries are great; the ship is a way to get there. Set realistic expectations and you will be fine. I kept running into passengers who were confused because they had heard raves about Celebrity and didn’t realize they weren’t sailing S class.

We like both classes of ships for different reasons. We were last on Millie January 2017. Our cruise was Hong Kong to Shanghai with over night stop in the Philippines. We booked Millie again for March 2018 with overnight stay in Beijing. I thought the ship was in good shape. The staff were fantastic.

We have also been on Radiance... if I had to choose again, it would be Milennium for sure!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will second that !

The Millennium is far superior to the Radiance. We have sailed on both multiple times. They are both excellent ships and crew, but the Millennium is just better for us in every way !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Millennium on January 21st and she is in great shape. I was worried as some people said she was tired. Maybe a bit but I like her classy feeling compared to all the glitz of some other ships.

One small complaint though was our bed. After about 10 nights we both had lower back aches.