Regal Princess October 14 to 21, 2017 New England/Canada

Bimmer09

Norris, happy to see the review.

SPOILER ALERT!

............................Would I sail on this tub again??

YES!

I figured if you tried it you would like it!

Goin' up around the bend...

CCR

Deck Chair Queen (aka Carol) checking in, late as usual.

The song lyric game: We're Going to Sea! Benjamin Britten's Peter Grimes, one of our favorite operas. And very much about the sea. Old Davey Jones shall answer.

Norris and his waiters: Wherever we go on the ship they swarm to serve him. It's like a scene from Night of the Living Dead. Me, I'm chopped liver and an afterthought. Every meal began with a 20 minute search for Sir Norris's wine bottle, while I sat parched and ignored.

The NY sailaway: Apart from Venice, the most beautiful of all of our sailaways. Brought a lump to my throat.

Keep up the good work on this Gentleman's Seafaring Journal.

Carol

LOL I am sure you have adapted. Hope Norris reads this for future opportunities to earn brownie points. :)

Norris

As you were comfortably confined to a cozy Caribe aft cabin taking marvelous stills and video, I was Lido enjoying the band. Perhaps you heard the music and commotion from above?

a26d84eefb2f6aa912b21596efb440ca.jpg

3081615ae03bf42c1d1a140c4e8dad3e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ron, thanks for posting the pics of the fun by the pool. I would gladly sail the Regal in warm waters where the lido would come alive. A good steel drum band (not a solo guy with backing music from a laptop) really sets a great vibe.

No I couldn't hear the band aft and the ships horn is very muted there too. No wind and great views is why we sail aft. Once the ship gets some speed up the wake is like a giant washing machine but we don't mind - it's white noise for enhanced napping.

Cheers my brother!

Norris

Norris, Norris how have I missed you��. What a great review, love the order and the photos and of course the wit��. We have two sailings booked on the Regal so can’t wait for more. Now will search for you on the tube. Can’t wait for you to take me on your “Sea Cruise”.......dating myself��. Lanz

Hello: I'm following along with Norris also -- maybe will do this cruise in 2020. :)

As it is nighttime in Chicago right now it may be appropriate to show you some dark shots of the Regal as she steamed towards our first port of call, Newport RI. It got dark around 6 pm.

37974245296_a4185b40f7_b.jpg

26252051259_0331335438_b.jpg

I had the company of a group of ten hearty men and women in full cruise mode knocking back the drinks and smoking cigars during my Saturday time at the smoking area. They were good humored and having a blast. I had time before our dinner at 8 to take a photo-walk on the upper decks where it was quieter.

37974641196_f0d1eb5d40_b.jpg

24175817968_cc46ec2f91_b.jpg

24175838118_ce9844c2c7_b.jpg

I know I called this the SKYWALK on my upcoming video. It is of course the SEAWALK and pretty cool when lit.

24175842448_544a0aaf78_b.jpg

The Mighty M.U.T.S

37997249012_6708d04077_b.jpg

37997264472_38265be17a_b.jpg

38027956541_dd9c08acc0_b.jpg

38027958941_74d842166b_b.jpg

Next up-first MDR dinner. We usually start our cruises in Sabatini's but they had booked us a comped meal there on Monday night so we went with that.

Following! Great pictures & I like commentary. Where exactly are the smoking areas? I love the idea of having coffee at that aft deck, but was hoping for a non smoking section too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just go down one flight of stairs to deck 16 where they have some comfy chairs looking over the wake and a coffee/tea set-up too. Buffet diners eat out there. There is a full bar also.

Thanks for the compliments!

Norris

OK' date=' time to join the fun... First off, a Manhattan seems appropriate if you please (hold the bitters). Oh, and Proud Mary, CCR, 1969.[/quote']

As you can see I am way behind in responding to comments-this was back on page 3.

Welcome and I'll try to fix you a cyber Manhattan!

If anyone hasn't read fishin' musician's British Isles review go find it and enjoy.

Norris

Coming up- I'd hoped to write more this morning but just got a text and have to go into work early-our first MDR dinner in Concerto, the Welcome Aboard show, the water and light show on pool deck in video and then some sleep.

When we awake we should be anchoring off Newport, Rhode Island and we have a Cliff Walk and Fancy Mansion visit lined up.

Plus News, Sports and Weather with our Meteorologist Storm Fogg. Stay tuned!

Norris

Norris,

Thanks for the lovely pics. We boarded the Regal the day you got off and had a similarly wonderful time.

Our faves were The Santuary on the first sea day........best $20 I have ever spent,

And the smoking area on deck 17......very comfy and met scads of nice folks there. No one in the pool ever.

I agree with your earlier comment on the robes! Dreadfully small. Maybe too much shrinkage from laundering? Requested larger to no avail. I urge our fellow CCrs to urge Princess to update. This was not the case on Majestic as they were large and plush. Wondering about Crown as I am boarding the 8th with friend.

Enjoy your reviews.

As you can see I am way behind in responding to comments-this was back on page 3.

Welcome and I'll try to fix you a cyber Manhattan!

If anyone hasn't read fishin' musician's British Isles review go find it and enjoy.

Norris

Thanks for the kind words Norris, but I don't recall a British Isles review amongst those that I've written (Alaska(Coral, Sapphire and NCL Sun), Mediterranean (Crown Princess and Windstar Star Breeze), New England/Canada Maritimes on Caribbean Princess, Mexican Riviera on Sapphire Princess and a bunch of Caribbean sailings on RCL, NCL, Costa, Windstar and of course, Princess). Although we really have no brand loyalty, Princess always feels like home. We have our 2nd cruise on the Regal coming up and it will be our 2nd time in one of the forward facing Deluxe Obstructed Balconies (HUGE balcony).

Really enjoying your writing and photos!

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY -- haven't been back there in ages. Your sailaway photos brought back many memories. I used to bicycle down to the Verrazano Bridge quite often. There was a very nice walkway along the waterfront that went under the bridge. It was one of my favorite places to go. I was a Wall Street messenger in the early 1970's. I don't even recognize the lower Manhattan skyline anymore.

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is opposite Governors Island. Back when I lived in Brooklyn it was restricted and off limits to civilians. Now it's a National Monument and open to the public.

Sorry to bore you with my ramblings. Carry on.

Thanks for the kind words Norris' date=' but I don't recall a British Isles review amongst those that I've written (Alaska(Coral, Sapphire and NCL Sun), Mediterranean (Crown Princess and Windstar Star Breeze), New England/Canada Maritimes on Caribbean Princess, Mexican Riviera on Sapphire Princess and a bunch of Caribbean sailings on RCL, NCL, Costa, Windstar and of course, Princess). Although we really have no brand loyalty, Princess always feels like home. We have our 2nd cruise on the Regal coming up and it will be our 2nd time in one of the forward facing Deluxe Obstructed Balconies (HUGE balcony).

Really enjoying your writing and photos![/quote']

Thanks for the kind compliments!

Even though, in my Wikipedia profile it refers to me as "The man who is never wrong" in this case I have you confused with "fishin' chris"' so you and he have fishin' in common. He has a really good British Isles review with superb pictures on CC, first page.

You have a fine cruisin' history, let's just get that right, shall we? (my favorite Gordon Ramsay-ism). You have sailed on more lines than I and I would be interested in a thumbnail sketch of the Costa experience if you have time.

2nd cruise on the Regal means that you liked it. I liked it enough to do a second but lord knows when as we have no Princess bookings after this January.

Thanks for the response as I thrive on feedback, both written and the guitar variety.

Norris

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY -- haven't been back there in ages. Your sailaway photos brought back many memories. I used to bicycle down to the Verrazano Bridge quite often. There was a very nice walkway along the waterfront that went under the bridge. It was one of my favorite places to go. I was a Wall Street messenger in the early 1970's. I don't even recognize the lower Manhattan skyline anymore.

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is opposite Governors Island. Back when I lived in Brooklyn it was restricted and off limits to civilians. Now it's a National Monument and open to the public.

Sorry to bore you with my ramblings. Carry on.

See the red part highlighted- we were last there 2 years ago and there has been so much building that we took an architectural boat tour on October 22 to get caught up and I hope you'll stay until the end to see the photos I took during that. They are pushing the architectural envelope in some of the buildings there, just as they have been doing in Dubai. As you know only too well Jasperdo, our vacation isn't over when we step off the ship....

Cheers!

Norris

Yay, another Norris & Carol review! :-)

Happy to join in the fun!

Love the pic of Snowy! Such a pretty kitty. :-)

Lisa! My favorite respondent from the Netherlands! I will randomly pop in a picture of Little Snowy so keep watching/reading.

Norris

Dinner and a show?

We usually eat around 8 (or could be 9) when on a ship and tonight, our first night onboard the Regal Princess, we would dine then go to the Welcome Aboard Show in the Princess Theater. We had an hour an 15 minutes to accomplish this.

We are ATD-Anytime Dining kind of folks who eat alone-Table for two only please is our jargon. We don't share a table. We did once and said never again, but that's just us.

We banter with foreign waiters, that's our thing.

We are guided to a table for two by the lovely could-be-in-an-airlines ad-Lisette and once again Carol gets to have that napkin placed upon her lap. Our waiter is Alan from the Philippines but you don't have to write that down as it will be the last time we see him.

Now, afore ye think, where are all the photos of the Regal Princess? let me say that even when I board a new ship I don't run around trying to see it all on day 1. I have a week to do all that and day 1 I do what needs to be done- unpacking, booking the Sanctuary (usually for the whole week if in warm climates) booking Sabatini and Crown Grill, changing out mini bar for all beers/club soda, and relaxing with a cold beverage. But I have taken a few elevator rides and walked the length of deck 7 just to get places and my initial opinion of the Regal is...the interior is designed to dazzle and is a considerable step up in luxurious feel than the Grand Class. It's EVOLUTIONARY as opposed to REVOLUTIONARY which the Celebrity S Class was and the EDGE class will be. If the Grand Class is a Marriott then the Royal Class is a Ritz Carlson. Some new color palettes-lighter colors, upgraded lighting, new art etc....but plenty for me to criticize too and I'll get to that as we go along with observations.

It's dinner time and we always look forward to our meals on Princess. The service always is top notch too with just an occasional miss-step.

First let's set the scene....

A couple of shots of the room taken during and after the meal...

37343312454_03e89fe8e4_b.jpg

This dazzling light fixture was above our table. Love it!

This young fun lady came to take our picture but I whipped out my Canon and shot her first (without checking my settings so not a great photo but it was done for comedic effect) and she had a good laugh.

37999340666_68a8d9239d_b.jpg

38052644821_6ab3a1b0dc_b.jpg

Anything to drink sir?

Yes- I have a bottle of Malbec that I bought here at lunch. Can you bring it henceforth my good man?

Can I have your card sir? ( I have one of those little black leather Princess wallets and pass him the card with the same grace as Sir Noel Coward would have shown)

I'll be right back with your wine, sir!

Well 15 of your Earth minutes passed before they found my bottle and the Head Waiter came over to explain, which reminded me of the Basil Fawlty explanation for why he didn't have any walnuts for the Waldorf Salad. Now I had my wine, which had been "found in a cupboard" at least, while Carol had sat there thirsty during the Circus Clown parade of waiters who came up from time to time asking for more details- I even showed them a photo I had taken earlier that day of the bottle in that restaurant.

So the meal was off to a late start unfortunately but Carol and I roll with the punches.

I found that the table was so small and my distance from it so short that I couldn't get focus on my big cameras so resorted to the iPhone5 for the following food shots...

Le Menu

38037808291_f4c6f5caf3_b.jpg

Shrimp cocktail, tiny shrimp in a zesty slap-yo-mama sauce

37984650926_96be4d632a_b.jpg

Carol's Iceberg lettuce salad

37984672686_b9716f58db_b.jpg

More....

More dinner....

I couldn't find anything on the menu that excited me (First World problem)as there was always one ingredient that scuppered the dish for me. However I do like hamburger and fries any day of the week ( we are big 5Guys fans when it comes to fast food and I cook fine burgers over charcoal in the summer, whenever that was).

This was a decent burger with some lame-ass fries but I ate every drop. Mushrooms and cheese of the Stilton variety. Them belly full...

38022378942_4a4d52493f_b.jpg

Carol had the conglie all compagno pasta shells with marinara (former Miami Dolphins quarterback) sauce.

38022386032_19c7d0af5e_b.jpg

Her notes tell me I had almond butter ice cream, chocolate chip ice cream and honeydew sorbet-deelishus even though I barely remember it as I kept looking at my watch and we were running 15 minutes late for getting a seat a the show. She had Chocolate Hazelnut souffle and although I didn't photograph it, it looked and smelled yummy. Good meal!

I did buy a coffee card from a roving waitress earlier in the day (about $35 including the service fee) but I abstained from having my usual Sambuca and double espresso due to the time. We had to scurry off to the Princess theater!....

Norris, we liked for the most part many of the meals in the MDR, heck I even tried the Curtis Stone "Pork Belly" one night and was actually pretty good.

The only thing I noticed as the week went by the menu seemed to shrink, meaning less options and selections that didn't interest me.

The last evening of the cruise we did enjoy a complementary meal in Sabatini's. I had a pounded veal steak (breaded and bone in), it was good but over salted.

I don't get it, we are on a NE cruise but can't locally sourced shrimp and lobster. Fail.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Looks like I'm late to the party...again! I really need to stop letting real life get in the way of reading reviews from you, Norris.

Since I am late, I better catch up. Bartender, 2 bottles of your finest Guinness, if you please. It is BOGO hour at Crooners (on some ship, somewhere in the world) after all.

We were on the Regal in March and loved the ship. I can't wait to see the rest of your review.

The show had already begun when we got to the Princess Theater and there were people rows deep standing at the back almost to the entrance stairs. The Welcome Show isn't a must-see that we would willingly stand for and so we left.

Patter Carol, looked for an alternative and found that the Water and Light show on Lido was scheduled to happen and I was curious to see that as it struck me as a pointless waste of space up there, taking up swimming pool space. A sunken circular swim-up bar might have been a money spinner in warm climates but would have to have had a waterproof cover or be raised up hydraulically in inclement weather to prevent a tsunami from a sloshing pool. It could divide two pools and serve both. In colder climate cruising it would become a swim up umbrella, ear-muff and parka boutique serving hot chocolate and cold remedies...

We took an elevator to deck 16 for a look-see....

qRo50VEiOCk

Afterwards it was time to retire to our cabin and stare out into the fog from the balcony before descending into a deep cavern of sleep on the comfy bed.....

Norris,

Thanks for the lovely pics. We boarded the Regal the day you got off and had a similarly wonderful time.

Our faves were The Santuary on the first sea day........best $20 I have ever spent,

And the smoking area on deck 17......very comfy and met scads of nice folks there. No one in the pool ever.

I agree with your earlier comment on the robes! Dreadfully small. Maybe too much shrinkage from laundering? Requested larger to no avail. I urge our fellow CCrs to urge Princess to update. This was not the case on Majestic as they were large and plush. Wondering about Crown as I am boarding the 8th with friend.

Enjoy your reviews.

I'm glad you like reading the reviews and thanks for saying so!

The robes are a let-down on such a glitzy ship as are the threadbare off-white towels but they get washed so much they can't stay soft and fluffy for long.

We are sailing on the Crown in January so please come back after your cruise and let me know if all was well on her.

Cheers!

Norris

Dang it, we missed the Skywalk - although we walked on windows in the floor at a outdoor bar on the ship that was over the water. I thought that was it, LOL! Thanks for showing the video of what we missed! Come to think of it, we really did not explore the ship that much like we usually do as we were off the ship and in port from early morning right until the latest we could be. But what a great cruise it was in every way! On the first night we both had the Prime Rib and it was very good.