Switching cruises

Nevada Jen

I'm new to cruising and to vacation planning in general. I wanted a 7 day cruise but didn't see any for my dates when I booked. So I booked a 4 day. To places I am not very excited about. After reading the boards and carnivals website, I see I just wasn't pulling up the 7 days cruises. I now see a really good cruise from a different port. Is it possible to switch cruises for little to no cost? My travel agent hasn't got back to me and I'm going a bit nuts. From reading the contract it looks like I am right at the spot where maybe I could cancel for no charge but I don't even know what kind of fare I have. The new cruise is way more expensive to the extent that matters. Thoughts?

As any cruise line sees it you’re not switching cruises, but cancelling and rebooking. If you bought insurance you’ll need to redo that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good point about the insurance. I would have forgotten that. I am assuming I cannot call Carnival myself and make the change since I used a travel agent? It is annoying the heck out of me to watch plane fares go up while she twiddles her thumbs.

Good point about the insurance. I would have forgotten that. I am assuming I cannot call Carnival myself and make the change since I used a travel agent? It is annoying the heck out of me to watch plane fares go up while she twiddles her thumbs.

I used a TA and unfortunately I had to use her to make any changes, Carnival won't help you.

OK. Now I am just extremely unhappy. Are there actually non-cancelable fares? My agent is telling me Carnival will not allow the change. I'm 65 days out from the cruise. I can't follow Carnival's cancelation policy but it looks to me like any fare can be cancelled more than 61 days out. Worst case you lose 50 bucks a passenger. By the way, I didn't get a super awesome fare. Its 10 bucks cheaper than what you can get directly from Carnival. I'm not super trusting that my travel agent isn't the problem here.

When you book through Carnival, it's a $50 per person change fee. Used to, they would add it to your balance, but now you have to pay it when you change it. As far as booking through a TA, I don't know. I STRONGLY suggest you book directly through Carnival in the future. I would never use a 3rd party.

OK. Now I am just extremely unhappy. Are there actually non-cancelable fares? My agent is telling me Carnival will not allow the change. I'm 65 days out from the cruise. I can't follow Carnival's cancelation policy but it looks to me like any fare can be cancelled more than 61 days out. Worst case you lose 50 bucks a passenger. By the way, I didn't get a super awesome fare. Its 10 bucks cheaper than what you can get directly from Carnival. I'm not super trusting that my travel agent isn't the problem here.

This might help you:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3401/~/i-need-to-cancel-my-booking%2C-is-there-a-penalty%3F

You really need to find out what fare type you booked. Ask your TA that specific question.

Apparently I booked a pack and go rate which makes the entire thing not cancellable. What kills me, is I was never told this is what I booked and it is literally no where on any of my documents. And if it was like some stellar deal, maybe I would have been on notice, but it wasn't. Plus, even if that is their policy, why would Carnival not let me change to a cruise that is twice as expensive? I'm done. Never using that agent or sailing Carnival again. I know this is technically my fault. I also paid a shocking amount for my first car 25 years ago. Never bought another Nissan or used that dealer again. I may just no call no show and cut my losses. At least carnival will not be able to make another cent off me.

None of this is Carnival's fault. You didn't do any of your own research it appears and your TA is worthless. It wouldn't have helped to have booked another rate as you are also within final payment penalty. But go ahead and be a no show, I bet that will teach Carnival a lesson!

When you talked to your travel agent did you tell her that you wanted 7 days? She should have seen all the cruises that were available. Yes she should have told you what type of rate code you were booking, early saver pack and go. As my husband and kids tell me I am so nosy I ask a lot of questions, while looking at the deck plans and seeing if the rate is non refundable. I wouldn't blame Carnival because they laid out the stipulations for that particular rate code. Sorry that you didn't know, I would do an extended stay where ever you are sailing from and just make the best of it.

I’m not sure why you’re blaming Carnival, when your Travel Agent didn’t do their job and educate you on the cancellation policies of the cruiseline.

Agreed, this is not Carnival's fault, It is the travel agent's fault for not explaining the cancellation policies.

In the future, I suggest booking directly so you can handle the booking yourself.

Try and have a great cruise.

Looks like she found this site in time to complain!! But not in time to do any due diligence.

I call this user error.

With all the info on this site all of this could have been avoided.

Please blame yourself and not Carnival.

When you book through Carnival, it's a $50 per person change fee. Used to, they would add it to your balance, but now you have to pay it when you change it. As far as booking through a TA, I don't know. I STRONGLY suggest you book directly through Carnival in the future. I would never use a 3rd party.

This is not 100% accurate. It all depends on what fare you book. ES (Early Saver) you can make changes and it is $50/pp fee (up to final payment date). Some fares have no cancellation fee (prior to final payment date), some fares are non-refundable at all. All fares have large penalties after final payment date of hundreds of dollars up to the full amount paid. You have to understand exactly what rate you are booking under.

As far as you have to pay the extra $50 and they don't add it to your balance. This also is not true. If you make a "change" to your reservation to another ship/sail date, they change everything under your original booking number, leave your full deposit intact and add the $50/pp fee as an "administration fee." If you cancel and rebook, then they deduct the $50/pp from your amount paid and the balance is applied to the new cruise at booking, so if you have only paid your deposit and you cancel and rebook, you may have to make up the difference at the time of booking to reach full deposit amount again. This is why I prefer making a "change" instead of "cancel/rebooking", no extra money out of pocket immediately.

I fully agree this is why I do not use a TA, you are at their mercy for information and for them to handle all things related to your booking (you can't do anything directly at that point as they own your booking), but I do highly recommend a good PVP.