Which U.K. Port?

sjde

OP : we have sailed out of Dover, Southampton and Newcastle and regularly visit Liverpool. Personally I prefer Southampton, it is very easy , you can drive there, we had valet parking off the QE2, drove up to reception, handed over the car and the keys and it was there when we disembarked! Perhaps they don’t do that now? Anyway Southampton although a long way from here in Scotland, has great amenities and good transport links. On doing a Norway cruise you do lose some time both ways, so if time is short you might want to cruise from Newcastle. The thing about Newcastle is the docks are some distance from the town and there is little there. Dover isn’t bad, with the docks not far from the town for smaller ships, but you still lose some time sailing to Norway. Liverpool docks are in the centre and very convenient for the many hotels, shops and bars and restaurants in the area. We have only cruised from there on day trips and the ferries. But it has some interesting features including Tate Liverpool and Albert Dock. There are some cruises from Scotland, quite a few on Fred Olsen which attract a generally much older British passenger base.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP : we have sailed out of Dover, Southampton and Newcastle and regularly visit Liverpool. Personally I prefer Southampton, it is very easy , you can drive there, we had valet parking off the QE2, drove up to reception, handed over the car and the keys and it was there when we disembarked! Perhaps they don’t do that now? Anyway Southampton although a long way from here in Scotland, has great amenities and good transport links. On doing a Norway cruise you do lose some time both ways, so if time is short you might want to cruise from Newcastle. The thing about Newcastle is the docks are some distance from the town and there is little there. Dover isn’t bad, with the docks not far from the town for smaller ships, but you still lose some time sailing to Norway. Liverpool docks are in the centre and very convenient for the many hotels, shops and bars and restaurants in the area. We have only cruised from there on day trips and the ferries. But it has some interesting features including Tate Liverpool and Albert Dock. There are some cruises from Scotland, quite a few on Fred Olsen which attract a generally much older British passenger base.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The dock at North Shields (Newcastle) is only 10 miles from the city center or 15 miles to Durham.

Royal Quays outlet shopping is walking distance about 800 metres away.

The Metro Centre Europes biggest indoor shopping centre is less than 20 miles away.

Cruise and Maritime or Fred Olsen possibly but not my cruise choice so not sure.

C&M go up as far as Tilbury. FO don’t go up the Thames.

Silversea have about 6 per year that start from Tower Bridge. (Silver Wind and Silver Cloud) They also have Greenwich and Tilbury starters.

There are a few others ... I work right by HMS Belfast where they berth. Nothing beats passing under Tower Bridge with Rule Britannia blasting from the speakers.

Done it once doubt it’ll happen again... costs too much! But it’s certainly the best U.K. port starter!

on the ship

And yes, small ships can get into very tight holes! And if unsure of the gap size, look at the pilot boat! Misses the sides by inches in places

Edited by les37b

Not Boddingtons, it's gone down hill since they were taken over by the multi nationals and moved the brewery.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

How about a pint of 'wife beater then (Stella Artois) is that a lager lout drink? they used to drink Carling from memory.:halo:

C&M go up as far as Tilbury. FO don’t go up the Thames.

Silversea have about 6 per year that start from Tower Bridge. (Silver Wind and Silver Cloud) They also have Greenwich and Tilbury starters.

There are a few others ... I work right by HMS Belfast where they berth. Nothing beats passing under Tower Bridge with Rule Britannia blasting from the speakers.

Done it once doubt it’ll happen again... costs too much! But it’s certainly the best U.K. port starter!

on the ship

And yes, small ships can get into very tight holes! And if unsure of the gap size, look at the pilot boat! Misses the sides by inches in places

HMS Belfast is great for a visit, went on her last time in London Town, about 4 years ago.

Rule Britannia !! (Sounds like a P&O Great British Sailaway.)

The best tasting lager is Peroni IMO although i prefer hoppy ales.
Hi,Peroni and San Miguel seem to be taking over UK bars nowadays.My favourites Stella and Kronenbourg 1664 seem to be diminishing.My favourite Italian beer is Moretti,cheers,Brian.

Hi,Peroni and San Miguel seem to be taking over UK bars nowadays.My favourites Stella and Kronenbourg 1664 seem to be diminishing.My favourite Italian beer is Moretti,cheers,Brian.

Yes i get Moretti on draft sometimes in our favourite Italian restaurant.