Breakdown of Prepaid Gartuities

Lyndonn

Some will undoubtedly disagree; however, to the best of my knowlege -

For each cruise on each ship, the gratuities (prepaid or otherwise) are pooled and and used to pay the crew eligible for that pool: stewards, waiters, assistant waiters, galley staff, laundry staff, deck attendants etc.

Bar staff are paid from their own, separate gratuity pool - the 15% gratuity added to drink prices or included in drink packages.

'Management' positions (hotel director, maitre d' etc.), guest relations officers, the cruise director & staff and ship's officers are not part any gratuity pool.

I don't know if spa staff tips are pooled or they get to keep their individual tips. They are not Princess employees.

Some will undoubtedly disagree; however, to the best of my knowlege -

For each cruise on each ship, the gratuities (prepaid or otherwise) are pooled and and used to pay the crew eligible for that pool: stewards, waiters, assistant waiters, galley staff, laundry staff, deck attendants etc.

Bar staff are paid from their own, separate gratuity pool - the 15% gratuity added to drink prices or included in drink packages.

'Management' positions (hotel director, maitre d' etc.), guest relations officers, the cruise director & staff and ship's officers are not part any gratuity pool.

I don't know if spa staff tips are pooled or they get to keep their individual tips. They are not Princess employees.

According to the Princess website pools are tipped across the fleet

Only half goes to the crew and the rest to crew activities like employee of the month, crew parties and incentices. Princess doesn't want to share where your tips go for a reason. Tips should be open and clearly stated where they go.

Only half goes to the crew and the rest to crew activities like employee of the month, crew parties and incentices. Princess doesn't want to share where your tips go for a reason. Tips should be open and clearly stated where they go.

And this info is from where......

All the gratuities go to the crew eligible for any given gratuity pool. Princess guarantees minimum 'wages', depending on the position, for 'gratuity-paid' crew. If the pooled gratuities are not sufficient to meet the minimum wages, Princess makes up the difference. If the pooled gratuities exceed the the amount need to pay the minimum wages, the crew get the 'extra'.

According to the Princess website pools are tipped across the fleet

You're right. It seems that has changed -

"This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet."

Princess specifically says that Spa staff does not get any share of gratuities because not every guest uses their services.

No, it seems that has changed too. They now share the bar staff gratuity pool -

"A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges, dining room wine accounts, and Lotus Spa® services. This is shared amongst the beverage staff, their support staff and Lotus Spa® personnel."

They must have gotten rid of Steiner's of London and and made the spa staff Princess employees.

I really don't care how the tips are broken down or distributed. It's up to Princess and their compensation plans. As long as I contribute what is expected, I have done my part. If I feel an employee deserves something extra, I am free to do so as I have participated in the auto-tipping.

All I know is almost every single Princess crew member seems happy in their job, most have worked for Princess for years, so the pay and conditions must be ok. You couldn’t keep a happy act up for 7, 8, 9, months if things were that bad.

I put this little schedule in another thread a couple of days ago.

Princess does not offer a breakdown of their auto gratuities but Carnival & RCCL do. The breakdown below is probably similar to Princess’s.

Carnival Cruise’s Auto Gratuity is $12.95, split as follows:

Housekeeping Team - $4.05

Dining Team - $6.40

Alternative Services - $2.50

RCCL’s Auto Gratuity is $13.50, split as follows:

Stateroom Attendant - $3.45

Dining Services - $6.10

Other Hotel Services - $3.95

All I know is almost every single Princess crew member seems happy in their job, most have worked for Princess for years, so the pay and conditions must be ok. You couldn’t keep a happy act up for 7, 8, 9, months if things were that bad.

Also depends on a person. If I had to act that cheery and happy, I'd snap a week later.

You would be surprised how long you can fake happy when your livelihood and family's well being depend on it.

does anybody really care, I don't know why anybody would worry about how tips are distributed.

I admit I don't understand it either. I trust the cruise line to get me where we are going safely, feed me and make sure I have a comfortable place to sleep. I don't worry about what the captain makes, and trust they have worked out a deal with the crew that everyone can accept. I don't have to know the details, I've agreed on what I think the cruise is worth to me.

(Yes, I know things do go wrong, but in general I trust that they will work out)

I really don't care how the tips are broken down or distributed. It's up to Princess and their compensation plans. As long as I contribute what is expected, I have done my part. If I feel an employee deserves something extra, I am free to do so as I have participated in the auto-tipping.

Exactly! So many get wrapped up in crew compensation, working conditions, etc. When we are on vacation, the last thing we want to think about is the crew and whether or not they are happy.