LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

Firstly, I kindly ask that you keep this thread on topic (not always easy to do). I am taking my time to post and share information for CC members that are interested in doing an Amazon cruise. This is the thrust of this thread. Thanks so much:D

#4 - A complaint!!!!!! When I saw a special line for embarking passengers in Seven Seas, Mariner, Grand and Master Suites, I was appalled. This is so Oceania and so not right!!!!!!! There are so few passengers in these suites and having to watch these few passengers embark before those that had waited at least an hour to embark was horrible. Regent - we are not Oceania (or NCL). We like all passengers to be treated the same. This "new" embarkation process is extremely upsetting to even those of us in the suites that can embark early!!!!!!!! Hopefully my point has been made.

Jackie - I think you are totally wrong in this. Personally, having sailed on both Regent and Oceania AND on other lines like Cunard etc I really like this practice. There is zero difference between this and airline policy for check in. Lines for Economy, Business, First and Frequent Flyers etc. Why on earth not allow people travelling in very expensive suites (your good self included!) to board earlier and to access their suites earlier - provided of course that they want to do so. if Regent has "adopted" Oceania's policy on this, then well done!

Gerry

The food pictures were incredible and made me hungry ! I have a question -- I noticed (or think I did) that the plates put out for people to pick up and serve themselves (don't like that either but that is another story...) were upside down. Is this to keep the surfaces clean? If so - what a great idea. I have never seen it before nor ever thought about it. Is this done at all the buffets?

The food pictures were incredible and made me hungry ! I have a question -- I noticed (or think I did) that the plates put out for people to pick up and serve themselves (don't like that either but that is another story...) were upside down. Is this to keep the surfaces clean? If so - what a great idea. I have never seen it before nor ever thought about it. Is this done at all the buffets?

You are so right. Those that pay for the higher suites have many benefits and among them should be pre-boarding.

According to many cruise line policies if those in the lower cabins arrive at their appointed time they will not have to wait an hour.

Jackie - I think you are totally wrong in this. Personally, having sailed on both Regent and Oceania AND on other lines like Cunard etc I really like this practice. There is zero difference between this and airline policy for check in. Lines for Economy, Business, First and Frequent Flyers etc. Why on earth not allow people travelling in very expensive suites (your good self included!) to board earlier and to access their suites earlier - provided of course that they want to do so. if Regent has "adopted" Oceania's policy on this, then well done!

Gerry

Gerry - we are going to disagree on this. IMO, Regent is like having an all First Class ship (or airline). First Class does not have priority boarding for people based on how much they paid. Also, I have been saying for years that on luxury cruise lines (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea), everyone is treated the same once they walk outside of their suite. The extra benefits they receive (priority dining/excursion reservations, etc.) are basically invisible to others. Also, even though certain suites and certain Seven Society levels can go to their suites early is invisible. The lines for Seven Seas Suites and above was so "in your face" that it was disturbing. A room full of passengers waiting to board and they open a line where only a handful of people got in the "special" line while the rest watched. No other lines were open. Anyway, just broke my own request on this thread not to discuss this issue. I respect you and your opinions and did not want to be rude by not responding. Hopefully this will be discussed on another thread at a later date.

I understand your issues with the plates but, as you know, Regent is self-serve while Oceania serves their guests. Our preference is serving ourselves (with utensils changed every 15 minutes). Based on the health issues on Oceania and Regent, serving passengers does not seem to have any more effect on the health of passengers than serving yourself. What is really working is not shaking hands. Captain Serena says that most germs are in the palms of our hands (which we do use on utensils). I'm finding myself disinfecting my hands when I enter La Veranda (or other dining venues) and doing it again after helping myself to food on the pool deck or La Veranda. In terms of walking around the ship, I see crew members wiping down the elevator buttons. Not shaking hands with officers isn't bad at all. This is one practice that I would like to see on all Regent ships - at least during the Fall/Winter months.

Back to the Mariner -- not too much to say this morning. As many posters know, the Smithsonian contract with Regent ends this year. One new lecturer is really a breath of fresh air in terms of new and interesting discussions. He has been discussing "Social Media" and how to use many things that some of us are clueless about. For instance, this afternoon the topic is "Effective use of Cloud Storage at home and while traveling. See how to use Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, Google Photos and Flickr to transfer, organize your photos and videos. Share photos and video by using weblink. Q&A workshop and Photo Upload follows the lecture. Unfortunately I have missed most of the sessions but plan on going this afternoon (followed by the Country Fare).

Whenever "we" (posters) talk about who will be on a ship next, the answers seem to vary. I was told that Michael Coghlin would be replacing Andreas but it ends up that Nikki will be replacing him. Not a big deal (Nikki is lovely) -- it is just difficult to keep track. I asked about our March Voyager sailing and apparently Massimo will be the G.M. (another wonderful person). Regent does have a new G.M. that is onboard Voyager at the moment (do not recall his name).

Also learned that the Mariner is being refurbished in France (some of you may know this but I didn't). It makes sense since Mariner is the only ship built in France so she will be home for 3 weeks. This ship is so solid and soundproofed that it is surprising.

I was thinking about the ships this morning and what it be like to create a ship combining certain aspects of each ship. In terms of suites, I would put in the PH suites from the Mariner, the lower suites from the Explorer not counting the teeny tiny suites on Explorer), Grand Suites and Aft Seven Seas suites from Mariner, a couple of Master Suites from Voyager and a couple from Explorer.

Then I would take the Coffee Connection from Explorer (currently named The Cafe), theater from the Mariner, Compass Rose space from Voyager (more open than Mariner or Explorer), Observation Lounge from Explorer, aft lounge from Mariner or Voyager and mid-ship lounges from Explorer.

Now that I'm built the perfect ship in my mind, I'm looking forward to our Greek buffet. If it is interesting, I'll take photos.

We have disagreed on the question of priority boarding for years, Jackie. I think Regent might do well to take a survey of those who pay for "high end" suites and ask ALL of them what is important - or not - to them. All I can say is after 3 Oceania cruises I see the logic in this policy. And would support it.

I totally agree that the PH suites on the Mariner are the "best at sea" and if the new ship can have these it would be great.

Look forward to the photos of the Greek buffet..I just left a cruise. - too short - where we stopped in Greece. Love that food!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have disagreed on the question of priority boarding for years, Jackie. I think Regent might do well to take a survey of those who pay for "high end" suites and ask ALL of them what is important - or not - to them. All I can say is after 3 Oceania cruises I see the logic in this policy. And would support it.

I totally agree that the PH suites on the Mariner are the "best at sea" and if the new ship can have these it would be great.

Look forward to the photos of the Greek buffet..I just left a cruise. - too short - where we stopped in Greece. Love that food!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One tiny disagreement. IMO, rather than asking 40 top end suite passengers what they think (assume 98% would love it), I'd ask the 640 other passengers that thought that they were going on a luxury cruise line where all passengers are treated the same. Anyway, a few photos of the Greek buffet will be posted later.

This afternoon the Mariner turned Into a party with loud music, passengers and crew dancing around and screaming as they cheered for people to win the games they were playing at the Country Fair. I will post random photos but am notsure if I can post a video. So many smiling faces! Is this typical Regent..... well, no, but it brings out the fun part of the crew as well as the passengers and those that participate have an amazing time. Having spent two transatlantic crossings on Explorer (which is typically when they have the Fair) it was not held either time. Now, we are not even doing a crossing but they brought out all of the booths, costumes, etc.

There was a booth (Canyon Ranch Spa) that had one person put on a blindfold and put make-up on their partner or friend (really funny to watch). A contest where you smell spices and try to identify them ......... another where two people (a pink an blue team) that have to carry 3 full martini glasses of colored liquid a few feet and then pour the liquid using a funnel into a wine bottle. The team that fills the wine bottle up the most wins. There were probably 10-15 booths plus the ring toss (tossing rings over the heads of the people in the pool). Each department has their own booth and people vote for the best. Participants get tickets and there is a drawing for prizes at the end.

It is important to note that this is not some drunken party with people being pushed into the pool. It is simply fun -- the kind of thing that children would enjoy (only thankfully there are only adults or it would be a completely different experience).

I think that my enthusiasm is showing. Photos later (they aren't good photos - just a few giving posters an idea of what this event is about.

Hoping to have a quiet dinner in CR with Dennis - need a day or so or calmness after a week in the Amazon and a day at Devils Island. BTW, the photo that did not post last night simply said "DEVILS ISLAND - HELL ON EARTH".

P.S. Went to the Social Media lecture and learned a lot but the most important thing that I learned was how great Google Photos is.

Edited by Travelcat2

A few words before I go in the bedroom and switch devices. Tomorrow we arrive in Barbados and Passages has an "Important Notice" that I have not seen before and I'd like to share it with you. "This is to inform our guest that Barbados has a local restriction with regards to the wearing of camouflage design clothing. Local security officers will send you back to the ship and you must change in order to pass outside of the port area - no exceptions. Please consider this when choosing your wardrobe for your day out. Thank you for you understanding." While it would be rare for a Regent passenger to wear camouflage, I find the notice of interest. Speaking of things that you typically do not see on Regent, as you know, we boarded the ship on November 17th and today (December 6th) saw our first lanyard. So, they do exist but are rare.

Dinner in CR was wonderful -- really a lovely day.