LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

A side note - camouflage clothing is actually illegal in quite a few countries including Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, Trinidad, Tobago, Zambia to name a few. South Africa isn't a big fan of it either. They don't want you to look like the military. If that is your style, you may want to review the law before you show up in the country in camo.

Irishwitchy, thanks for information about camouflage clothing - very interesting!

So, we are in Barbados - and this is a perfect example of why we prefer not going to the Caribbean. First, a Royal Caribbean ship with 3,100 passengers was disembarking with us. It was a madhouse trying to get transportation into town in a sea of people. By the time we returned (less than an hour later), another ship (not sure which one) arrived and there were even more people. One could not look at anything in the shops as it was gridlock.

The lady driving the Regent shuttle to and from the cruise terminal was delightful. She let us know that another two large ships would be arriving. I have no words other than I am happy to be back on the ship.

Perhaps if you took a taxi around the island it would be nice but visiting the downtown area was not so nice (unless you want to see Diamonds International on every corner - and I'm not overstating this). We got the $2/person shuttle back to the cruise terminal and worked our way through all of the people back to the free Regent shuttle back to the ship.

The weather is very humid. We spoke to a couple from Arizona that, like us, are used to dry heat. The humidity, when you are not accustomed to it can be quite uncomfortable.

Will try not to complain about our two final ports. Trying to decide if we do the touristy (but likely fun) swimming with the stringrays tomorrow. Not quite sure how it works - how can I take money and a camera with me if I'm going in the water? Will have to figure that one out. Has anyone reading this blog done the swimming with the stringrays in Antigua? Suggestions are more than welcome.

That is all for now. Trying to cool off.

Irishwitchy, thanks for information about camouflage clothing - very interesting!

So, we are in Barbados - and this is a perfect example of why we prefer not going to the Caribbean. First, a Royal Caribbean ship with 3,100 passengers was disembarking with us. It was a madhouse trying to get transportation into town in a sea of people. By the time we returned (less than an hour later), another ship (not sure which one) arrived and there were even more people. One could not look at anything in the shops as it was gridlock.

The lady driving the Regent shuttle to and from the cruise terminal was delightful. She let us know that another two large ships would be arriving. I have no words other than I am happy to be back on the ship.

Perhaps if you took a taxi around the island it would be nice but visiting the downtown area was not so nice (unless you want to see Diamonds International on every corner - and I'm not overstating this). We got the $2/person shuttle back to the cruise terminal and worked our way through all of the people back to the free Regent shuttle back to the ship.

The weather is very humid. We spoke to a couple from Arizona that, like us, are used to dry heat. The humidity, when you are not accustomed to it can be quite uncomfortable.

Will try not to complain about our two final ports. Trying to decide if we do the touristy (but likely fun) swimming with the stringrays tomorrow. Not quite sure how it works - how can I take money and a camera with me if I'm going in the water? Will have to figure that one out. Has anyone reading this blog done the swimming with the stringrays in Antigua? Suggestions are more than welcome.

That is all for now. Trying to cool off.

Jackie,

Yes, we have done that! It can be fun, but be prepared that it can be very crowded. To feed the stingrays by hand is a funny experience. We enjoyed it for quite a while until another shipload of tourist arrived!

Don't worry about your camera or your money. There is always a nice Regent guest nearby that will be happy to take your camera and money:halo:and will return it to you after your swim. ......."Enjoy!

We did the stingray thing in Turks and Caicos. It was fun. You don't really swim with them there. It is more like walking in the water, shuffling your feet so you don't step and one, and they swim around you. I thought I would be scared, but it was really very fun.

Great pic of Dennis with the captain.

One tiny disagreement. IMO, rather than asking 40 top end suite passengers what they think (assume 98% would love it), I'd ask the 640 other passengers that thought that they were going on a luxury cruise line where all passengers are treated the same. Anyway, a few photos of the Greek buffet will be posted later.

This afternoon the Mariner turned Into a party with loud music, passengers and crew dancing around and screaming as they cheered for people to win the games they were playing at the Country Fair. I will post random photos but am notsure if I can post a video. So many smiling faces! Is this typical Regent..... well, no, but it brings out the fun part of the crew as well as the passengers and those that participate have an amazing time. Having spent two transatlantic crossings on Explorer (which is typically when they have the Fair) it was not held either time. Now, we are not even doing a crossing but they brought out all of the booths, costumes, etc.

There was a booth (Canyon Ranch Spa) that had one person put on a blindfold and put make-up on their partner or friend (really funny to watch). A contest where you smell spices and try to identify them ......... another where two people (a pink an blue team) that have to carry 3 full martini glasses of colored liquid a few feet and then pour the liquid using a funnel into a wine bottle. The team that fills the wine bottle up the most wins. There were probably 10-15 booths plus the ring toss (tossing rings over the heads of the people in the pool). Each department has their own booth and people vote for the best. Participants get tickets and there is a drawing for prizes at the end.

It is important to note that this is not some drunken party with people being pushed into the pool. It is simply fun -- the kind of thing that children would enjoy (only thankfully there are only adults or it would be a completely different experience).

I think that my enthusiasm is showing. Photos later (they aren't good photos - just a few giving posters an idea of what this event is about.

Hoping to have a quiet dinner in CR with Dennis - need a day or so or calmness after a week in the Amazon and a day at Devils Island. BTW, the photo that did not post last night simply said "DEVILS ISLAND - HELL ON EARTH".

P.S. Went to the Social Media lecture and learned a lot but the most important thing that I learned was how great Google Photos is.

I love those "country fairs". And i think the staff does too.

As for the boarding "issue". On Oceania no one even thinks about it. Nor on other lines I suppose. Personally since Regent makes a LOT of money from its "high end suite" guests I think their opinion counts. I board airlines in a separate queue, quicker than those in economy. So far no one has suggested I be sent to the guillotine!! Same goes for Regent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As for the boarding "issue". On Oceania no one even thinks about it. Nor on other lines I suppose. Personally since Regent makes a LOT of money from its "high end suite" guests I think their opinion counts. I board airlines in a separate queue, quicker than those in economy. So far no one has suggested I be sent to the guillotine!! Same goes for Regent.

Actually some of us who sail on Oceania do think of it. Why? Because we travel with our adult children and our daughter-in-laws parents. We book a higher end suite to make it more similar to our Regent experience while they book the lower end suite. No problem once onboard, but if we want to travel to the port together, which we do, we either have to wait till later to board, or they have to sit in the port waiting. Since we don't want to make them sit there, we wait till later, but it would be our preference to be able to board earlier at the same time. Comparing to boarding an airplane is not accurate because there the difference in boarding time is 15 minutes at most, vs potentially several hours.

Actually some of us who sail on Oceania do think of it. Why? Because we travel with our adult children and our daughter-in-laws parents. We book a higher end suite to make it more similar to our Regent experience while they book the lower end suite. No problem once onboard, but if we want to travel to the port together, which we do, we either have to wait till later to board, or they have to sit in the port waiting. Since we don't want to make them sit there, we wait till later, but it would be our preference to be able to board earlier at the same time. Comparing to boarding an airplane is not accurate because there the difference in boarding time is 15 minutes at most, vs potentially several hours.

I have read on the Oceania forum that if this situation happens you can ask to all board together and it works! Plus in my experience - only 3 times I have to say - lines were not that long (though the last time we held them up because Oceania needed to make copy of my ESTA!) Last time there were no lines at all. The other two times were in Miami. Maybe 100 people were waiting to board and they did so quickly.

I have read on the Oceania forum that if this situation happens you can ask to all board together and it works! Plus in my experience - only 3 times I have to say - lines were not that long (though the last time we held them up because Oceania needed to make copy of my ESTA!) Last time there were no lines at all. The other two times were in Miami. Maybe 100 people were waiting to board and they did so quickly.

Good to know. We will try that next time.

Gerry, before I make a rather inflammatory comment, please know that I respect you and have for many years - even when we disagree.

IMO, no one on Oceania even thinks about how "elitist" and "class oriented" the boarding system is because they don't know any different. Most Oceania cruisers have either cruised Oceania for years or have cruised mainstream or premium, cruise lines where this is the "norm". The majority of Oceania cruisers have not sailed on luxury cruise lines.

In terms of the money that the upper suites bring, if that were the only important thing, Regent could have ships with 75 passengers instead of 700, make them very happy and charge a lot more money.

Again, Regent is a first class ship and airlines do not have special lines for first class passengers that pay full price vs. first class passengers that may be flying with frequent flier miles or discounted rates. IMO, this is what luxury/first class is all about.

I cannot express how infuriated I am about this new policy and the fact that Regent is now the ONLY luxury cruise line that has started this "class oriented" system of boarding, and how sad I am that I can no longer tell cruisers that are new to luxury cruising that all passengers are treated the same once they step foot outside their suite. What I can say is that Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea treat all passengers the same but Regent is the exception.

Back to this cruise - for a minute. Today was too hot - too many people ashore and that is all I can ay about that. On the positive side, the crew, service and ship are wonderful and being able finally see F&B Director Donald after 3 years was amazing. Some people have posted over the years that the crew are nice to you because they have to be. Okay, they do have to be but the friendships established onboard the ships are very real and last many years.

We have cancelled our stingray excursion and our friends have cancelled their lobster and champagne catamaran excursion. We don't arrive in Antigua until noon and it just doesn't make sense to go out in the heat of the day (and in the case of our friends, do a 6 1/2 hour excursion and get back to the ship 1/2 hour before the ship departs).

There are also some of us that took this cruise for the Amazon and Devil's Island. After approximately 20 days, the Caribbean is not too exciting. Again, this is just my honesty speaking. It will be interesting to learn how many miles we have sailed. Just going into the Amazon alone is 900 miles each way. One reason Captain Serena loves the Amazon is because it is the only cruise that goes into a continent that far and is basically a river cruise.

I will post less in the next few days and simply ask that the topic of boarding not be brought up again as it is upsetting and we are trying have a vacation and not dwell on negative topics. Obviously you can post what you want........ I am simply asking as nicely as I can. Thanks much!

Hambaghale - I am with you. I feel that if you pay for one of the upper suites, you should not have to stand in line to board. I do not understand why some people want to race to the bottom. In my lifetime, I have always strived to be at the top.

In the hopes that corporate reads this, I want to be one that says, YES, we want to be boarded by class, just like the airlines!

I will post less in the next few days and simply ask that the topic of boarding not be brought up again as it is upsetting and we are trying have a vacation and not dwell on negative topics. Obviously you can post what you want........ I am simply asking as nicely as I can. Thanks much!

I hope people respect your simple wish to keep the focus of this thread on your Amazon Adventure. It appears that some people are ready to follow their own agenda about establishing class systems where there was not one before. I just received another email ad from Regent and they stress that everyone will have a First Class experience outside their suite while allowing extra special treatment within the upper suites with a butler and larger luxurious setting for those that would like an extra treat on their cruise.

The latest pictures have been outstanding! Sure looking forward to you getting home and your ability to dedicate a little more time to your Amazon review without impacting the vacation that you are on. This thread has been one of the most followed recently. It is unfortunate that your efforts are not appreciated by some but I can assure you that many followers keep checking back on this thread to remotely experience what we can from your Amazon Adventure.

I will admit that your experience has been rewarding in that folks may have decided to cruise on this itinerary as a result as well as those who have decided against the cruise as a result of the realities of the heat, humidity, security etc. It is your balanced perspective that makes your postings so enjoyable and educational on the Regent board. Some times I don't think people appreciate the effort required to share one's experience real time. But there are many of us that do!

Thank you for taking the time to post this!! I'm getting on the Mariner 2 weeks from tomorrow for Christmas and this is making me even more excited--how has the evening entertainment been, if you've gone yourself or just heard? Our singers/dancers on the Explorer last Christmas were phenomenal. Also, is Capt. Serena for sure getting off in Miami?

Jackie - being Swiss and therefore VERY democratic - I respect your opinion. But that is what it is - your opinion. It isn't mine. As I have made clear. And I doubt it is shared by a lot of people who pay a great deal of money to cruise in expensive suites. I also think you are wrong about the people who cruise on Oceania. There are a lot like me who move from line to line depending on itinerary etc. You fall into this category I think.

Basta! We disagree - big deal! I always like reading your posts, and I have been fascinated by this thread because I have had the Amazon on my list for a long time. (The jewelry issue might have killed it though!). And I can see why, in the heat (would love some of that here today where it is snowing...) you cancelled your snorkling etc. enjoy the rest of the cruise and have a lovely Christmas and New Year!

Gerry

Thanks Ken -- when I get home I'll be happy to debate the boarding issue (on another thread) but I won't be the one starting the thread.

We are rocking and rolling on our way to Antigua. Fortunately we now have our "sea legs" (didn't even know that it was a real thing -- needing a couple of days to get used to the movement of the sea.

A few nice events will be happening this morning -- before we dock in Antigua at noon. Then we'll do a bit of souvenir shopping for a few friends.

doyouseawhatisea, so happy that you will be returning to the Mariner for Christmas. I have heard that most of the shows are good but have not attended any myself (we saw some of the shows on Mariner in September with a different cast). Although there will be a major crew change in Miami, I'm sure that the crew coming onboard is as good as what is here now (except for Captain Serena since I've never met a Captain so willing to speak with guests, share information and stories, etc.). There will be 100 children on your cruise which, if I remember correctly, will not be a problem for you. It should be very festive and lots of fun. Looking forward to your reports from the ship.

Sorry - will be happy to read and respond to the subject on another thread. This thread is a "live" thread about experiences on the Mariner going to and from the Amazon. The opinions/experiences on this thread are mine (or anyone else onboard the Mariner than choose to post their opinions/experiences.). Questions and on-topic comments are always welcome:halo:. nfcu - looking forward to responding to you on another thread. Your input is very interesting!

Thanks for your understanding.

For some reason I am having great difficult reaching my email (an "Outlook" account). This is more than frustrating. So, I'm spending a bit of time working on my former address which is accessible (gmail). I only mention this so readers may think about having a secondary email address when sailing. Internet has been spotty - sometimes good and sometimes terrible. Connecting with Cruise Critic has been pretty easy from our suite.

Time or the cooking demonstration!

Gerry, before I make a rather inflammatory comment, please know that I respect you and have for many years - even when we disagree.

IMO, no one on Oceania even thinks about how "elitist" and "class oriented" the boarding system is because they don't know any different. Most Oceania cruisers have either cruised Oceania for years or have cruised mainstream or premium, cruise lines where this is the "norm". The majority of Oceania cruisers have not sailed on luxury cruise lines.

In terms of the money that the upper suites bring, if that were the only important thing, Regent could have ships with 75 passengers instead of 700, make them very happy and charge a lot more money.

Again, Regent is a first class ship and airlines do not have special lines for first class passengers that pay full price vs. first class passengers that may be flying with frequent flier miles or discounted rates. IMO, this is what luxury/first class is all about.

I cannot express how infuriated I am about this new policy and the fact that Regent is now the ONLY luxury cruise line that has started this "class oriented" system of boarding, and how sad I am that I can no longer tell cruisers that are new to luxury cruising that all passengers are treated the same once they step foot outside their suite. What I can say is that Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea treat all passengers the same but Regent is the exception.

Back to this cruise - for a minute. Today was too hot - too many people ashore and that is all I can ay about that. On the positive side, the crew, service and ship are wonderful and being able finally see F&B Director Donald after 3 years was amazing. Some people have posted over the years that the crew are nice to you because they have to be. Okay, they do have to be but the friendships established onboard the ships are very real and last many years.

We have cancelled our stingray excursion and our friends have cancelled their lobster and champagne catamaran excursion. We don't arrive in Antigua until noon and it just doesn't make sense to go out in the heat of the day (and in the case of our friends, do a 6 1/2 hour excursion and get back to the ship 1/2 hour before the ship departs).

There are also some of us that took this cruise for the Amazon and Devil's Island. After approximately 20 days, the Caribbean is not too exciting. Again, this is just my honesty speaking. It will be interesting to learn how many miles we have sailed. Just going into the Amazon alone is 900 miles each way. One reason Captain Serena loves the Amazon is because it is the only cruise that goes into a continent that far and is basically a river cruise.

New thread started: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2572058

Jackie, thanks for taking us along on your trip. It has brought back many great memories. Our 2011 Mariner cruise, the 72 day Circle South America included a trip up the Amazon. The Amazon part was in March during the wet season. For those interested, our blog is found at:

www.circlesouthamerica2011.blogspot.com Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on March 9 to start the Amazon portion.

The Amazon is a world all its own unlike any thing else we have seen as we have traveled around the world. We spent hours sitting on the aft deck off the Horizon Bar watching the activities of people living their life on this river.

The River was 18 feet out of its bank and was expected to rise some more. We had lots of big interesting bugs, but no mosquitoes. The cruise was very interesting and well worth doing. The scenery was outstanding. It was hot and humid, but I didn't find it more so than some places in South East Asia.

We did the Regent tours and found them good to great. Even though this was in the early stages of included tours and things weren't always very organized.

Jackie, you have done a great job with your pictures and commentary. Thanks for taking the time.

One last comment.....Since you brought boarding up in one of your early post, I want to correct a later comment about boarding on the "luxury lines".

Our favorite of the "luxury cruise lines" is Seabourn. We were on the Sojourn in Sept and their boarding process is almost exactly like what nfcu gives below for Silversea. Except instead of a Butler, it is a Seabourn staff member.

Actually, on Silversea, Owner's Suites guests get special boarding privileges ahead of the other suites...........When arriving in the terminal, there is always a Silversea representative verifying your suite number before you go through the check in process. If you are in an Owner's Suite, a Butler is summoned and you are immediately ushered on board, even when general boarding has not yet begun.

I see that there is a new thread for the boarding issue. That is good as this is apparently a hot topic! Thanks Bill.

Edited by cwn

cwn: Thanks of posting your blog. "Our" South American cruise was wonderful - even though we only did one segment.

I was wrong about no other ships being in port with us. Unfortunately, we have an NCL ship and a huge foreign ship (cannot figure out the cruise line). Fortunately, those two ships are on a separate dock and we have our own dock - makes it much less crowded.

Being in Antigua and seeing signs "Antigua and Barbuda" makes me think about how the hurricane just about wiped Barbuda off of the map while Antigua fared pretty well. I didn't ask but do wonder if people in Barbuda were moved over here. Hope they were taken care of.

To me, this is another typical Caribbean port but with overpriced items. Simple shell necklaces that you can buy for $5 are $35 here. It is hot but with a breeze. Another Regent passenger - from Florida has also been affected by 20+ days of heat and humidity.

Tc, we were informed on our cruise last month that everyone from Barbuda is being housed on Antigua, some of them in the large stadium. The people are ferried daily back to Barbuda so they can restart infrastructure. It is feared that a bird native to Barbuda has been totally wiped out. All of the animals perished too.

Have been enjoying your posts very much. However, I don't think I could tolerate the heat and humidity. It was too hot for me just in Columbia!:p

Tc, we were informed on our cruise last month that everyone from Barbuda is being housed on Antigua, some of them in the large stadium. The people are ferried daily back to Barbuda so they can restart infrastructure. It is feared that a bird native to Barbuda has been totally wiped out. All of the animals perished too.

Have been enjoying your posts very much. However, I don't think I could tolerate the heat and humidity. It was too hot for me just in Columbia!:p

Really appreciate your input - thank you. To lose everything - homes, business, animals, birds - just unimaginable.

Just a FYI. I am friends with Franc and he stated he is joining the Mariner when it arrives in Miami. Not sure how long he will be onboard.

And can you say hello to Olga for us. We took her to dinner in Compass Rose a few years ago. I am assuming it is the same Olga.

Eileen and Bob Kettrick

Hambaghale - I am with you. I feel that if you pay for one of the upper suites, you should not have to stand in line to board. I do not understand why some people want to race to the bottom. In my lifetime, I have always strived to be at the top.

In the hopes that corporate reads this, I want to be one that says, YES, we want to be boarded by class, just like the airlines!

I have never done it, but I don't resent those who pay the extra mponey and enjoy some extra perks.