LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

Hope that you enjoyed the photos. It is raining (11:00 p.m.) so tomorrow's visit to Devil's Island is iffy. Just in case, when I was watching Terry Breen's discussion about Devil's Island on television, I took a few pictures of the television screen. Okay - I know - that is cheating but may be better than nothing. Also have a rather interesting story to share about Devil's Island.

Dinner in Signatures's was wonderful - way too much food.

Love the photos! But unfortunately some remind me of why I tend to avoid buffets - handles of the tongs IN the food and the germy hands that last used those tongs which are now contaminating the food on that tray. Drives me nuts when people just throw the tongs or serving spoon/fork back onto the food. Grrrrr.

I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you. We did a similar itinerary in 2009 on, alas, another cruise line. It sounds like a lot has changed—smoke was not an issue; very, very large bugs were! We are glad we did it, but would have preferred the Regent experience. Love your food pics, presentation is always done so well. We are back on Mariner in April for the first cruise after refurbishment, really looking forward to it.

Love the photos! But unfortunately some remind me of why I tend to avoid buffets - handles of the tongs IN the food and the germy hands that last used those tongs which are now contaminating the food on that tray. Drives me nuts when people just throw the tongs or serving spoon/fork back onto the food. Grrrrr.

Agree with you but want to mention that we were first in line (waited a while in order to take photos before anyone helped themselves to the food). What you saw I the photos is the way that the Regent kitchen staff laid it out. Gorgeous presentation but tongs do not belong on the food.

The improved sanitation on the Mariner is generally excellent. They change out tongs and serving spoons every 15 minutes and we are washing/disinfecting hands constantly. These measures are obviously working since the ship and the passengers have remained healthy. I'm certainly willing to forego shaking hands to avoid getting sick.

Briar14 - your post was extremely interesting. Unfortunately, the burning of the Amazon is quite bad at times. The bugs were here last year but surprisingly were not this year. No way to predict. I was looking forward to taking bug pictures (some posters did last November) but there were none to photograph.

The one thing that really came in handy today was a cheap pair of plastic shoe coverings that I wore to walk the muddy trails (with huge puddles). They worked well and weigh nothing.

Enjoy your Mariner cruise. She will look amazing after refurbishment and doesn't look too bad now!

Joan Didion (a writer I respect) is 83 today. In honor of her birthday, the "quote of the day" in my newspaper (Naples Daily News) is something she wrote (not sure in which of her books).

This is for you, Tc:

"... The grave's a fine and private place, but none I think do there embrace. Nor do they sing there, or write, or argue, or see the tidal bore on the Amazon, or touch their children. And that's what there is to do and get it while you can and good luck at it."

(I hope you don't find the sentiment gloomy. I thought it was terrific.)

poss - that definitely was terrific. Dennis and I both enjoyed reading it. Now I have Captain Serena's favorite Italian poem from Giocomo Leopardi for you.

The Infinity

Always dear to me was this lonely hill,

And this hedge which from me so great a part

Of the furthest horizon excludes the gaze.

But as I sit and watch, I invent in my mind

endless spaces beyond and superhuman

silences, and profoundest quiet;

wherefore my heart

almost loses itself in fear. And as I hear the wind

rustle through these plants, I compare

that infinite silence to this voice:

and I recall to mind eternity,

And the dead seasons, and the one present

And alive, and the sound of it. So in this

Immensity my thinking drowns:

And to shipwreck is sweet for me in this sea.

Okay - so let me try to catch up. First, as Cruise Director Lorraine stated, "the stars aligned" and we were able to visit Devil's Island. The wind and rain made getting into and out of the tender difficult but there was something about stepping foot on this island that was a once in a lifetime experience. Although I did quite a long walk, Dennis did the entire island and I do have photos to post (hopefully when I finish this post).

Tonight was a special occasion for the five of us reaching the higher levels of the Seven Seas Society. The Captain, General Manager and Chief Engineer hosted dinner for the three passengers that reached Platinum and Dennis and I. It was lots of fun. A special touch was dessert. I am a huge fan of Regent's Opera cake. For my last birthday I asked Dennis to get me a piece of the cake from a new French bakery. It was good but not as good as Regent. So, Dennis asked the pastry chef when he planned on making it on this cruise. Apparently they only make it once per cruise. So, we were surprised when it was brought a whole cake to the table where we were all able to have a piece (accompanied by ice cream). Once again, Regent outdoes itself.

I then learned that the fun and somewhat goofy Country Fair will be held tomorrow. Due to possible rain, it will be held on decks 5 and 6 (normally it is held on the pool deck). Hoping to get photos so that posters that have not experienced this event will get a glimpse of what it is about. While definitely not for everyone, for those that participate, it can be a lot of laughs.

Going to switch devices and will try to post photos. My descriptions may be poor since I was not with Dennis when the photo were taken (I left Dennis on his own in Devils Island....... fortunately this was pre-planned and not a big deal). I did hear that a passenger had a coconut fall on his head. Hope that he is okay.

Poetry about the sea is so cool. Here is a little poem I wrote for Spanish Ambassador Jose Luis Pardos regarding the Turbot War or in Spanish "Guerra del Fletan". I helped him do image compression for "Si Spain" and his personal artistic projects years ago.

Estai

Fishing where only God rules the High Seas

Torrents of evil could not sway the brave crew

Descendants of the proud Basques and Celts

XIV Century beckoning voices from the grave

Swept by a lonely sea far from Motherland Spain

Master and crew fought bravely defending Right

Forming a "Club of Survival" against oppression

Respected by freedom loving peoples everywhere