LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

I found this description on the RSSC site about the meeting of the waters you may have seen.

"The town is situated at the point where the Tapajos and the Amazon waters meet. This is called the "Wedding of the Waters" and is one of Santarem's major attractions."

Did not know that. Another great piece of information! Thanks!

Some more photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not the best shot of meeting of the waters (NOTE: Messed that one up...... where is "Z" when I need him. Trying again I next post

24e01c3c5e0e0733aa1e5ee984f7dd73.jpg

Do not know what this says but identifies where we are.

Edited by Travelcat2

Don’t want to bore you ... just a couple more

402dd0fbd6f76982d1326f474012cfb8.jpg

Seems like a typical bus. No air conditioning

ecc824aff840199acfdb1a436bc149d6.jpg

Just like home .... pizza!

Edited by Travelcat2

Whew - it is always a challenge to post photos. Sorry that they don't come across as I expect them to...... still learning.

Tomorrow is Boca Da Valeria. I believe that this is the port where there is a "pretend" village and the kids come out to hold your hand (for a dollar). I did not hear Terry Breen's discussion about this port but she apparently told a group onboard last year that we no longer need to bring gifts or school supplies to this port. They have more than what they need (including expensive cell phones, etc.). Just reporting what I've read about this on CC. This may be a port where I stay on the ship (no excursions offered).

Although I felt fine in the heat, it really permeates your body. My scalp remained wet through lunch in air conditioned La Veranda ... until I got back to the suite for a shower (I know - too much information but some of you are interested in the heat and humidity down here). The best thing we can do in the suite is to keep lights off and drapes closed. We are running about 3 degrees warmer than when we were in the Caribbean (currently 73 degrees in the living room).

Must mention that last night they had Chateaubriand in Compass Rose. It may have been the best piece of meat that I've ever had. One vegetarian option was Pad Thai which we had as an side dish* - it was nice and spicy and quite delicious. We spoke with Chef Kelly and he explained how he uses the center cut of the tenderloin and cuts off the ends, It was very popular last night and the end pieces were used in Beef Stroganoff for lunch (how can beef tenderloin in Stroganoff not be delicious?).

*A few words to people new to Regent. You can make double orders of any item ........ ask for an appetizer portion of an entree or an entree portion of an appetizer. You can do what we did and turn a main course into a shared (or single) side dish. Don't limit yourselves. Remember too that the chef will make just about anything that they have ingredients for with 24 hours notice (you advise the Restaurant Manager in Compass Rose).

Since posting, all meals have been perfect. I did submit the mid cruise comments and received several calls to discuss our constructive criticism. I also did praise several crew members and Sette Mara. First world problems....

Thank you for the update. I had begun to get concerned as 'cool' food had also been mentioned on another 'live' report.

Sounds as though Regent act on feedback and try to address any niggles.

One quickie comment. Finally saw one bug....... a moth -- smaller than what we have at home.

According to wonderful Capt. Serena, there is less smoke in the Amazon than last year. According to a crew member, the decks were black with bugs last year and now are clear. I have no explanation for this but am not complaining.

Love the pics and standing by in case you want me to post for you. BTW, I can’t help it but I crack up every time you discuss the heat. 94 degrees is a piece of cake here in south Florida. I stress when it’s below 70.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travelcat2,

The remarks about Boca da Valera you heard are right.

It's all fake, just like a lot of stories about the Amazon.

Some people seem to think it's like the old days, but helas?- those days are gone and time goes on and for sure he world in the Amazon has certainly changed as well!

Jackie; please don't worry about the bugs. There used to be a whole lot of them in the old days, but nowadays there seem to be more of them in the Everglades....... :cool:

Concerning the heat and hummiddity: , have your ever been to New Orléans and the swamp? :halo:

Enjoy the rest of your trip, and be prepared for just another civilised area : Manaus.!

Tomorrow is Boca Da Valeria. I believe that this is the port where there is a "pretend" village and the kids come out to hold your hand (for a dollar). I did not hear Terry Breen's discussion about this port but she apparently told a group onboard last year that we no longer need to bring gifts or school supplies to this port. They have more than what they need (including expensive cell phones, etc.). Just reporting what I've read about this on CC. This may be a port where I stay on the ship (no excursions offered).

Thanks for bringing back memories of our Amazon voyage of a few years ago. Yes the village is fake BUT they do bring their pet monkeys and Sloths to that village so there is a photo opportunity to see these animals up close. Enjoy!

Thanks for bringing back memories of our Amazon voyage of a few years ago. Yes the village is fake BUT they do bring their pet monkeys and Sloths to that village so there is a photo opportunity to see these animals up close. Enjoy!

f370ea54c07e1cfa2d71ca4620b0d8ab.jpg

Not a great photo but here is a Sloth

Love the pics and standing by in case you want me to post for you. BTW, I can’t help it but I crack up every time you discuss the heat. 94 degrees is a piece of cake here in south Florida. I stress when it’s below 70.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z, I'm so excited -- after 1 1/2 cruises I've learned (from your instructions) how to post photos from Tapatalk without having to quote myself (which was a pain). IMO, Dennis' photos this morning were great. He isn't familiar with the iPhone but did so well! Thank you for all of your help. Not sure how many drinks that I owe you at this point:evilsmile:

Since I'm being lazy today, I want to write a bit about food. The Mariner has the best Indian chef onboard. The Indian food is truly delicious. We have no idea how he could make tandoori chicken without a "tandoor" (not sure if that is what it is called). We had samosas (potato and peas) last night - so tasty. Even the naan which is difficult to make onboard was yummy. One hint for those of you that like a bit of spice, ask for a side of "Sambal". This also spices up soups and other things.

The samosas do have a few very thin slices of what appears to be jalapeños on the side (quite hot) but we enjoy the flavor of Sambal for the samosas (as well as for the chicken). We asked for the chicken breast -- a request which they accommodated (we also asked for white meat turkey for Thanksgiving).

My point in going through this is simply that you can turn what some may find a bit bland into quite tasty dishes. Don't limit yourselves.

This brings me to our server, Kevin. This is the first time we have met Kevin and he is another amazing server. He is from India and is close friends with newly made butler Preston. I believe that Kevin would also make a great butler. In any case, he has learned our preferences which makes things easier for him and for us.

Our friends are dining with Alberto - another wonderful server. He is serving in the middle of the restaurant and we prefer to be on the side but we visit their table at the end of the meal and sit for a bit.

Today is packing anything and everything that I can think of for our long excursion tomorrow. Dennis and I don't use backpacks but have a backpack full of things for the long excursion. Mornings here are tolerable but the afternoons are like fire (unless you are "Z", live in Florida and find the weather there comfortable;)).

I know that I keep talking about Captain Serena -- there are just so many wonderful things to say about her. She visits with people all over the ship when she can and is so full of information and is very personable. We love her. This isn't to say that we don't love Andreas. He is quite a young General Manager who does his best to keep guests happy and the ship running well. Regent is so fortunate to have these individuals (as well as many more that we will name on our Final Questionnaire).

Enough babbling for now. Almost time for lunch!

The lovely woman did not come out above. Trying again. If you can make the photo larger. Really a beautiful person

a9c3d8c53f1def37910a16d3728f93b7.jpg

Didn't work - will try again later. The system is getting a bit slow at the moment.

Jackie,

While the village may not be "authentic", it is the place where several years ago Devor was able to donate a bunch of deck chairs from the Mariner when they got new deck chairs. I did not see any in you photos but when I was there two years ago there were several around, especially at the church. Davor took great pride in being able to do this and was pleased when I told him some were still there.

Best,

John

Not the best shot of meeting of the waters (NOTE: Messed that one up...... where is "Z" when I need him. Trying again I next post

24e01c3c5e0e0733aa1e5ee984f7dd73.jpg

Do not know what this says but identifies where we are.

Well, I don't speak Portuguese but it looks like it's a political ad for Senhor Priante who helped raise $4.8 million reals to start the sport center in Santarem. He's the resource champion of Santarem.

Some things are the same the world over...

Travelcat..hope I did not stir up too much going on about Boca being a fake village..but the reality is..it is..that aside, it is still a decent representation of a modern typical Amazonian river home ( minus the satellite dish ..hahaha)...

I hope i don't open up another issue, but I believe I am quoting Ms. Breen correctly in that she warns us as travelers to the Amazon to NOT give money or encourage the people to trap the sloths and parrots - just to get a buck from the tourists. Again I could be incorrect but I believe she said that the parrots wings are cruelly clipped to prevent them from escaping AND the sloths - once taken out of their home tree are doomed to a slow death. What you do with this information is up to you. Certainly I would check with Ms. Breen to ascertain the accuracy of these statements. Sorry for briefly hijacking this thread.

Oh well...the bugs were interesting..once moth that stayed on the top deck near the netting was the size of my open palm..and we only got rid of the huge crickets about 2 days from the return trip to Miami...

We were supposed to be there during the high flower and fruit season but did not see much..how about the trees now???