LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

Just catching up! So busy at work now.

I am really happy that they are not shaking hands onboard. I personally despise social situations where you are kind of forced to shake hands. It is a huge germ spreader. In my office, I avoid shaking hands with patients. Some people find that rude, but it is really just smart. Shaking hands originated before the germ theory of disease originated, and it is something that should just go away, IMO.

I have never been to Trinidad and Tobago, don't know why, just never went there. It looks like a place I should visit.

I am glad you haven't melted too much yet. I love warm and humid so would be really happy. George would complain that if he wanted to be in the heat, he could just go to work on the ranch in the summer rather than paying money for a cruise.

Still waiting for some big bug pics.

malily, I didn't think about the brown water in the distance looking like land. It really does. I'm hoping to get a closer picture tomorrow. The water seems to meet in many places -- just difficult to photograph.

Pam - would love to know how the picture turned into a blob - especially since I was able to post several photos. Your post made me laugh.

Bill, whatever you think that the sign says is okay with me. It was difficult to take photos from the bus which is why you are seeing that billboard and a pizza shop. I'm really getting into posting photos from the phone. It works well and is easy.

drcandon: You didn't start anything - what you shared is true and I have read/heard about it before. Dennis really enjoyed going there and was hesitant to take photo of the sloth in particular because he was concerned that once they are removed from the trees they die (his hope is that they put them back when the people leave). I do recall posts on CC from last year about the parrots, the village, etc. Ms. Breen definitely recommends against giving dollars/gifts to the people but this is not stopping them. I understand trying to help the villagers so my opinion of the whole thing is mixed. Do not think that you hijacked the thread at all. Please post whenever you want to share information as it is most welcome.

Rachel - the not shaking hand "thing" becomes a habit. There is hugging, arms around each other - as long as you aren't putting the palms of your hands together. Speaking for myself, I disinfect my hands at every opportunity (as well as washing my hands).

Bugs...... so posters are hoping that we see big ones? I get it but am not disappointed that there are not large bugs on the ship (so far). I suspect that the best photos will be taken on the long excursion tomorrow. It is pretty much guaranteed that we will see pink dolphins, the meeting of the waters, a real village and a restaurant. IF I can go out in the heat again the next day, I'll take photos of the Opera House.

If it were not so hot, I could sit on the balcony for hours as the river and land seems to change quite frequently. Quite the adventure.

Good morning from Manaus where it is cloudy with a chance of rain and thunderstorms. It has been raining quite a bit lately so we aren't sure what we will run into bug wise when we go 10+ miles into the jungle by boat. Speaking of bugs - still none on the Mariner decks or balconies. Smoke from the Amazon is noticeable occasionally. The only time is was really heavy was at the mouth of the river.

The Silver Whisper (our favorite Silversea ship) is docked here as well. Actually we arrived 1/2 hour early but are not docked yet due to two ferries which are in the midst of being moved.

This is the day I've been dreading but I trust that we will see many interesting things. Although I have removed all jewelry etc. I am taking my iPhone and iPad which would be a big loss if someone robbed us. We are only here once so I really need to capture as much as possible.

I've packed everything mentioned earlier as well as a two complete mosquito net outfits (top, pants, mittens and booties) that we hope not to use. Our butler brought us a zip-lock bag of ice that we'll put two wet wash cloths in

Everything on the Mariner is going well. We are at the point that we don't even notice the few things that need replacing. As noted previously, carpeting in public areas are still pristine -- the areas are being cleaned constantly and we do feel that we are on an ultra clean ship.

Almost wish there was something negative that I could say. Not a fan of Canyon Ranch Spa. Dennis gets deep tissue massages and they really don't seem to know what they are doing. Then they run "specials" in Passages but when you get there you learn that it wasn't quite the way it was represented. The person at the reception desk didn't know what I was talking abut when I made an appointment for my nails. I had to show him on the list of services. IMO, everyone working there should be familiar with the services - even if it is not a service that they personally perform.

Will likely report back in 12 or so hours. I think that I'm just posting because I am truly nervous about this excursion. Kind of wish that I could blink and be transported to the Explorer on the transatlantic cruise. That is really my speed.

Manaus (technically on the Rio Negro) provides some of my best memories of the sheer magnitude of the waters in the Amazon Basin. Looking at those floating docks graphically display the huge variations in water levels that occur throughout the year. And who can forget those floating gas stations? Have Fun!

I hope this is not too late for you, but as you have mentioned shopping in the past, may I recommend the opera house shop in Manaus? it is not cheap but it has a selection of top quality pieces, carvings, jewellery etc.

Rp

You are not too late. We will be at the opera house tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

2onboardagain - I finally "get" what you are saying. I have so much to say post and so many photos. The internet is not cooperating so I'll try tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll just say that I ate a fried ant and had an amazing 8 hours on the Amazon today.

Jackie,

While the village may not be "authentic", it is the place where several years ago Devor was able to donate a bunch of deck chairs from the Mariner when they got new deck chairs. I did not see any in you photos but when I was there two years ago there were several around, especially at the church. Davor took great pride in being able to do this and was pleased when I told him some were still there.

Best,

John

When we visited the Amazon, in the information provided by Regent they suggested that we bring school supplies for the children, however, Terri Breen mentioned that it was not necessary. There were so many passengers who had brought supplies and we didn't know what to do with them. One of the passengers was able to reach out to Catholic Services in Manaus and they met us at the pier and were so happy to have all the supplies.

While at the "village", the senior officers, including the captain got off the ship and brought bags and bags of clothing that had been donated by the crew - they were dropped off at the church and they were quite appreciative for the all the items received.

gnomie :)

Second day in Manaus. Today my "cat" tendencies kicked in and I decided to curl up in the suite instead of going out. I know - the Opera House is gorgeous (Dennis is going). Actually, I was going to go but left my "ice stuff" in the suite and couldn't face the heat without it). Admittedly, my "probably" unwarranted opinion of Regent excursions plays into it. Having to sit in the theater and be told that only people with an 8:30 a.m. tour could get bus tickets and then a herd of sheep (oops - meant to say passengers) line up, etc, etc, etc. added to my being happy to stay onboard.

Since we unfortunately did not clear the waitlist for the Boi Bumba show (really was interested after reading what posters have said about it), we also cancelled the excursion we had (also based on reading what posters said and rereading the description of the excursion). Yesterday we received new tickets which I hoped were the ones for the show but they were not - it was simply a time change that had us out at 2:30 p.m. which is just too hot. As with anything in life, I'm not wasting more than a moment being disappointed.

For me a highlight of yesterday was visiting a "real" indigenous tribe (they have either around 200 ingenious tribes in the Amazon. "Factlet" for those of us who do not know geography...... The United States would fit inside Amazonia.) The show they put on was beautiful (many photos were taken and I will post some).

Their lives were described through translation from our Tour Guide. One dance simply had the father/mother/child or baby walking in a circle to a drum beat - one mother nursing as she walked by. I captured the face of one chid and the make-up they wear and got a photo of the bottom 1/3 of their leg which is tattooed (men and women). Everyone danced with the children, men and women. No one was expecting the people on our tour (mix of Brazilians and tourists) to give them a dollar for holding an animal that should not be taken out of their natural environment or looking for a gift.

They do sell a hand-made items and the tour says that we can leave a tip if you would like. I think the five of us from the U.S. were the only ones that tipped.

Almost forgot about eating ants. The fish they were barbecuing for their meal was on the grill. Next to it, in a large bowl was fried ants which were offered to us. Next to that were grubs (I think) - will be posting photos of both. Being somewhat adventurous, I ate one ant (size of large red ants), Dennis had five and I'm not sure how many our friends had but tI believe that they tried them. Could not bring ourselves to eat the grubs

Still to come: Pink dolphins, catching piranha (or not), meeting of the water (again) and other impressions from yesterday.

2onboardagain - I finally "get" what you are saying. I have so much to say post and so many photos. The internet is not cooperating so I'll try tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll just say that I ate a fried ant and had an amazing 8 hours on the Amazon today.

I think it is impossible to fathom just how wide the variation of water levels are between the "wet" and "dry" seasons until you see the engineering marvel of those floating docks and the flood elevation markings on that wall for the various years. I remember our guide telling us that despite the challenge of dealing with that severe rise and fall of the river during each year one of the reasons that Manaus prospered is that the acidic waters of the Rio Negro kept the Mosquito populations down in the City.

John

Jackie,

While the village may not be "authentic", it is the place where several years ago Devor was able to donate a bunch of deck chairs from the Mariner when they got new deck chairs. I did not see any in you photos but when I was there two years ago there were several around, especially at the church. Davor took great pride in being able to do this and was pleased when I told him some were still there.

Best,

John

Hi John,

Thank you so much for sharing that story. It is great that Regent does such lovely things. Wish that some of the non-touristy villages could receive some of these items. The village where we went yesterday are learning to be around "white people". The tour guide hopes that the interaction with tourists will eventually make them comfortable and that they may go to school with children in nearby cities.

We did make a donation at the village.

Jackie

Just came across this thread today. We experienced the Amazon on the Navigator earlier this year and I am enjoying TC2's review/postings. For those considering this cruise in the future or if you are just interested, we created a blog of our May 2017 trip. Postings are in reverse order and most have a link to pictures (on Flickr). https://amazonmay2017.blogspot.com/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Travelcat..hope I did not stir up too much going on about Boca being a fake village..but the reality is..it is..that aside, it is still a decent representation of a modern typical Amazonian river home ( minus the satellite dish ..hahaha)...

I hope i don't open up another issue, but I believe I am quoting Ms. Breen correctly in that she warns us as travelers to the Amazon to NOT give money or encourage the people to trap the sloths and parrots - just to get a buck from the tourists. Again I could be incorrect but I believe she said that the parrots wings are cruelly clipped to prevent them from escaping AND the sloths - once taken out of their home tree are doomed to a slow death. What you do with this information is up to you. Certainly I would check with Ms. Breen to ascertain the accuracy of these statements. Sorry for briefly hijacking this thread.

Oh well...the bugs were interesting..once moth that stayed on the top deck near the netting was the size of my open palm..and we only got rid of the huge crickets about 2 days from the return trip to Miami...

We were supposed to be there during the high flower and fruit season but did not see much..how about the trees now???

I am currently doing a live blog on Crystal Symphony but I've been drawn to this blog too - partly because we return to Regent in the Spring and partly because we spent a month in the Amazon basin / on a SS cruise a few years ago.

What we learned was that the sloths etc are captured in the wild ( mothers killed) then they themselves killed when they get too big to handle. Then the cycle repeats.

How long does it take for us to learn these simple lessons..?

We tourists have responsibilities too - that is what makes travel rewarding.

I am currently doing a live blog on Crystal Symphony but I've been drawn to this blog too - partly because we return to Regent in the Spring and partly because we spent a month in the Amazon basin / on a SS cruise a few years ago.

What we learned was that the sloths etc are captured in the wild ( mothers killed) then they themselves killed when they get too big to handle. Then the cycle repeats.

How long does it take for us to learn these simple lessons..?

We tourists have responsibilities too - that is what makes travel rewarding.

Thank you so much for posting. What you posted needs to be said.

P.S. No Yellow Fever vaccination documentation has been asked for by Regent or Brazilian authorities. Just an FYI. Not saying that you should not have a vaccination (up to you and your doctor) but we still have not seen one mosquito. It may be different after the rainy season. We are about to enter the rainy season so I has been dry for a while.

Thank you so much for posting. What you posted needs to be said.

P.S. No Yellow Fever vaccination documentation has been asked for by Regent or Brazilian authorities. Just an FYI. Not saying that you should not have a vaccination (up to you and your doctor) but we still have not seen one mosquito. It may be different after the rainy season. We are about to enter the rainy season so I has been dry for a while.

Thanks

Always read your posts.

YF certificate was obligatory when we visited - and we were never asked to present certification!

Side effects were seriously unpleasant....

b7dd4bcf7096555e96202ef3da4d4268.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haven't heard about Dennis' impression of the opera house and his excursion today.

Looking at that critter in the picture would make me keep my hands in the boat while traveling around the river systems there. Definitely would slow me down taking a swim with the dolphins or even just sticking a toe in the water.

I am sorry the heat is bothering you so badly. Our summer temps approach 100 degrees, with humidity almost as high; our heat index is well over 100 almost every day. The trip you are on now was never anything that appealed to either of us, but I don't think the heat would have bothered me and Mark would have loved it. He was very cold natured.

Haven't heard about Dennis' impression of the opera house and his excursion today.

Looking at that critter in the picture would make me keep my hands in the boat while traveling around the river systems there. Definitely would slow me down taking a swim with the dolphins or even just sticking a toe in the water.

Ken - that fish was mounted on a stand in a gift shop but it certainly looks perilous. We definitely did not stick any parts of our body into the river.

Pam - I'm doing pretty well considering the heat. The main reason that we moved from Southern CA to Washington state was to get into cooler weather. Where we Iive now, if I'm cold, I put on a throw blanket and entice a kitty or two to sit in my lap (their temperature is 101 degrees.). On the other hand, if it is hot, you can take everything off and you are still hot.

Tomorrow I'll discuss pink dolphins and will post photos. Stay tuned.

Internet at a snails pace this morning - likely because we just docked and there are a lot of people online. I want to finish with the village. This evening I'll post a photo of the fried ants in a bowl, the grubs and the fish they were preparing for dinner.

We booked this excursion through https://manausbooking.com . I do recommend them but they are not for everyone. We ended up (five of us) in a group of about 25 Brazilians in a boat that was clean and ran well (not particularly comfortable seats). Once we got used to everything being announced in two languages and having more people than expected, we really got into enjoying the excursion and are pleased that with went with Manaus Booking rather than a Regent Choice excursion (less hours - no lunch for the Regent excursion). While we were eating lunch a larger boat with approximately 100 Regent passengers (could be less but it was really full and had two decks) arrived. They saw pretty much what we saw but did not get the delicious food.

I do not recommend this excursion for anyone with walking difficulties. It is difficult to get onto and off of the boat and one docking area in particular had a very unstable walkway. We needed to hold on to the sticks that were holding the walkup up I order to keep our balance. On the other hand, it was fabulous and, IMO, more authentic than the Regent excursion.

The piranha - they take you to a place where there are captive piranhas (huge ones). People try to catch one and, if caught, were released back into the water. Difficult to take pictures but if I find a decent one, I'll post it. Although touristy, this was an amazing stop. Seeing the piranha jump at the bait (small fish) with those teeth is frightening. When we left there I tried not thinking about what would happen if our boat capsized in those waters.

I will post photos of some of the buffet lunch that we had. The fish (not piranha) was delicious - both fried with a batter and in a stew. There was also a beef dish, chicken dish and something that looked like fish heads. There was rice, pasta and veggies. Many unusual bottles of sauces and spices on the table but none of us seemed to want to try it. The fruit was amazing - some of the best we have had -- pineapple, watermelon, papaya - all great.

The boat ride to the dolphins was over an hour so we watched the scenery and enjoyed the breeze (the boat was going pretty fast and we really appreciated the wind). Most of the Brazilian people on our excursion swam with the dolphins. The five of us were a bit concerned about putting out bodies in the water with possible parasites that we are not used to. They had a lot of fun with the dolphins (that are not held captive - they are free to swim away but can't resist the snacks that they were being given).

Ken - Dennis' review of the Opera House will be forthcoming. There is so much to report about that we have done and a lot that we have yet to do (especially Devil's Island). I'm just taking it all slowly.

Back to the ship for a moment. We had a local fresh fish last night (cannot recall the name) and it was delicious. It appears that a big buffet is being set up on the pool deck (the very hot pool deck). The tours begin after lunch so it will likely be crowded. BTW - we are in Parantins in the Amazon. Tomorrow is Alter Do Chao (Amazon). Then we have two sea days (the one on Monday get us back into the Atlantic Ocean - I may have to do a happy dance on that day! Devils Island is on Tuesday and then back to the Caribbean (disembarking December 12th).

I hope the lunch was more than fried ants and grubs :-) The fish didn't look too bad. Really enjoy the pictures of the village and look forward to more pictures of your excursions as time permit. It does sound like you are enjoying the Amazon despite the heat and humidity. Take care stay safe and keep posting!

Jackie...your pics and commentary are amazing and much appreciated! In your planning for the cruise, was this time of year optimum for an Amazon journey, or is the heat pretty much the same year round?

The temperature during the day isn’t as problematic for me (though it is for my wife!), but I’m curious as to how the nighttime cabin interior temperature, which you’ve mentioned earlier, is currently faring.

Sent from my iPad using Forums