LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

The last dish was fried egg roll and another delicious fried dish - all vegetarian

Going to look for the hard boiled eggs in a spicy sauce. With all of that good food, not sure how five of us could eat so much

0b10fa708b13dfbcb525f6146aa02d53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jackie: I’m glad you have mastered using tapatalk to post pics. Well done and keep posting them since the pics add so much more to your excellent narrative. Pls tell Olga and Erhan (don’t know if you know him. Bald headed Turkish gentleman who is a Maitre d’) hello from us.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackie: I’m glad you have mastered using tapatalk to post pics. Well done and keep posting them since the pics add so much more to your excellent narrative. Pls tell Olga and Erhan (don’t know if you know him. Bald headed Turkish gentleman who is a Maitre d’) hello from us.

Z and TB

When I get home I want to explain the one thing that I was missing in terms of being able to post photos without replying to a post. I'll return your instructions with a slight addition (having to do with a "+" sign) so that you can share the information with others.

Yes - we know Erkan and will send your regards to him and will hug Olga (again) from the both of you!

For now, I think I'll post some food pictures. This afternoon's buffet is particularly interesting since it is East Indian themed. Tomorrow should also be a special buffet since it is a sea day. Later in the cruise will be the galley lunch (25th Anniversary celebration) as well as the Country Fair. Hopefully there are some newbies that will be interested in seeing photos.

Off to Canyon Ranch spa where someone will "rebalance" my pink/white nails. Hope they are not too grumpy.

Note: The smoke is bothering several passengers. It seems to only be an issue the day we enter and the day or two before we depart the Amazon (14 hours until we are back in the Atlantic Ocean - out of Brazil and away from the 25% tax.). I'm obviously looking forward to it.

Z and TB

Passed on greetings! It brings big smiles to their faces.

Indian buffet was amazing! Photos later.

Taking a bit of a rest this afternoon. There is a couple that may book this suite for the WC in 2019 that would like to see this suite so I'll be showing it to them in a bit. Think I need to look up the cost of a WC in a Grand Suite -- it must be extremely pricey.

As we depart the Amazon (and having crossed the equator once again), I look at the water and wonder if it is the "meeting of the waters" or the "separation of the waters". There are so many places where the brown water sits next to the ocean water and they just exist separately -- not always in a straight line but side by side. Just an observation.

Travelcat2, It appears you have a couple relaxing sea days before you dock at Devil's Island. The latest pictures have been great! I hope some of the other cruisers that are with you will consider posting their impressions and a few pictures when they get back home if not before.

Ken - wish that I could get others to post. Our Roll Call pretty much fell apart and the "Meet and Mingle" that Regent spent so much time to set up was pretty much a bust. The one person that may post when we get home is our friend. They are simply doing too many things to take the time to post. Since we've seen most of the shows and are in a large suite, we are really enjoying our time in the suite.

I noticed that there is a discussion about Canyon Ranch Spa on another thread. I mentioned that Dennis' massage was "so so" but, due to a special (assuming it is what they advertise it to be) he will have another massage tomorrow. The lovely women (Tracy) that does nails, did a wonderful job and was as sweet as can be -- no pressure to tip or buy anything.

Just don't feel like posting photos of lunch today. Tomorrow is the "galley lunch" - part of Regent's 25th anniversary year (we also received 25 year anniversary pins). I'll take photos and see if anything is worthy of posting.

Do plan on posting photos of Devils Island when we are there on Tuesday.

The seas are picking up a bit (i.e. getting a bit choppier) as we go back into civilization and the Atlantic Ocean. We should be out of Brazil sometime in the middle of the night.

There are a couple of crew members that think that the Amazon is the worst place in the world that Regent visits. Captain Serena loves it! I love the fact that we saw it and that I survived without becoming a melted puddle on the floor. At times it was quite challenging. Those were the times when even my ice pack would not give me relief.

More tomorrow.

Yes congrats on surviving. For me, I think the heat and the challenge of it might take precedence over whatever exotic appeal I thought it had. Actually, after seeing all your great pix and reading such wonderful description, I feel like I’ve already been there, and don’t plan on returning!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually, after seeing all your great pix and reading such wonderful description, I feel like I’ve already been there, and don’t plan on returning!

I'm thankful that Jackie & Dennis took the Amazon adventure for us. It has been a serious bucket list trip that few people ever have had the opportunity or fortitude to participate in. It appears that the worse of the heat and humidity may be coming to an end soon.

Even from afar it has still been exciting to follow along!!!

Travelcat2, It appears you have a couple relaxing sea days before you dock at Devil's Island. The latest pictures have been great! I hope some of the other cruisers that are with you will consider posting their impressions and a few pictures when they get back home if not before.

Onkel_ken, we are on this Mariner cruise (first time on Regent) and will post about our experience when we return home. To give an idea of how pleased with we are with the service, cuisine and accommodations, we've purchased a future cruise deposit while onboard. Just a little preview of how the review may go!

Edited by RJ2002

Onkel_ken, we are on this Mariner cruise (first time on Regent) and will post about our experience when we return home. To give an idea of how pleased with we are with the service, cuisine and accommodations, we've purchased a future cruise deposit while onboard. Just a little preview of how the review may go!

Looking forward to your review when you get home and settle in enough to share your Amazon adventure with us. Since this is your first cruise with Regent, it should be a fresh perspective!

I also look forward to RJ2002's review. Based on purchasing a future cruise credit, they are likely having a wonderful cruise.

On the other hand, no doubt there are passengers that disliked the Amazon. It is too challenging for for many mobility challenged individuals in most ports. I'm not talking about much too much walking -- there are areas where you are walking on a swaying wooden bridge that is difficult to walk across. At the last port, we had to walk on a beach with beautiful white powdery sand and it was not very easy to walk in either. The smoke, even though it was minimal according to the Captain, it was quite difficult to sleep with (only for a couple of nights).

Knowing what I know now, would I have gone on this cruise? Absolutely. Would I do it again? No!

For those passengers that had the Yellow Fever vaccination that was not needed ........ well, it is up to you if you think that it was worth the risks of side effects. The same can be said for Malaria pills (most people we have spoken to did not take the Malaria pills due to side effects). As many have said that have visited the Amazon, there are no mosquitos on the river as it is too acidic. I suppose that if you are going deep into the jungle, these precautions would be worth it.

Besides for the amazing scenery that we passed sailing up and down the Amazon, my top personal moments were in the village (where I posted pictures). This was real -- this wasn't about just putting on a show for tourists. Some people on the excursion were holding the children in their arms. They are not used to a lot of "white people" and, as least as of now, the village is unspoiled. Again, this was not a Regent excursion and I don't really see Regent taking their passengers to such a primitive place and being offered fried ants and grubs for a snack.

Swimming with the dolphins was fun to see - as was seeing the piranhas but it was in a more or less a controlled environement. The dolphins were free but were used to be fed by hand. Likely this is not a good thing. The piranhas (will look for a photo of the small area they are kept in -- the fish were too fast for a good photo).

Really hope that RJ2002 will share their excursion experiences with us.

While almost everyone was in the theater listening to Terry Breen discuss Devils Island (I'll watch on television later), I was able to post a few photos. I more or less need to be in a patient mood to do that. Since Dennis had a massage and then went to the theater, I had time.

Another slam for Canyon Ranch Spa's bait and switch advertising. In Passages last night it stated (for today) "Enjoy ANY 50 minute Facial or Massage for $129 each. *Valid for appointments booked and received today before 2PM". So, Dennis goes up a little after 8:00 a.m. when they open and no one knew about the special (or pretended not to know). Normally I would give them the benefit of the doubt but this is happening too much. Dennis wanted a 1:00 p.m. appointment but they said the procedure must be done by 12:00 p.m. (not the 2:00 p.m. shown in Passages). Thankfully he was there early enough to get a 9:00 a.m. appointment since he wanted to see Terry Breen at 10:00 a.m. and also wants to get in line early for the Galley Lunch (starts at 11:30 p.m.). In any case, I suggest that passengers take the page of Passages with them when they go to Canyon Ranch Spa to make an appointment!

Everything else onboard is wonderful - even the passengers! With such a long cruise with the same passengers (vs. a B2B cruise or two segments of a much longer cruise), it seems that everyone is mellow and happy. I see a line of people leaving the Observation Lounge every night before 6:00 p.m. to change into appropriate clothing ....... not seeing jeans or shorts in any dining venues or lounges.

Food could not be better. Crew could not be better. Still looking forward to welcoming F&B Director Donald to the ship on the 7th. Several crew members are counting the days until we reach Miami and they get to go home on vacation. The Captain is leaving along with our bartender, Alexander, Maitre 'D of La Veranda/Sette Mari, Francisco and several others. Captain Teo will be back on the Mariner and he is also a wonderful Captain - one that I consider a friend.

Enough for now.

Hahahahahaha! Boy, does that sound familiar. We took our 'trip of a lifetime' cruise on Regent (Navigator, Monte Carlo to Venice) back in 2009 and, well, we had our second one booked on about the 3rd day on board.

Last summer we had three future bookings on our account. It's definitely an addiction. Glad you've been bitten by the 'Regent bug'. :D

First a correction -- Capt. Teo is not replacing Capt. Serena - it is another Captain. I do not recall his name because when we were being introduced, we accidentally shook hands (in front of Capt. Serena) and got away with a warning (a funny one). So, we both went to the hand sanitizer and took care of our hands. G.M. Andreas is also separating for vacation in Miami. His next assignment is Explorer. Not sure who is replying him but will post when I find out. So, the Mariner will have three top officers being replaced while they vacation -- Captain - General Manager and F&B Director. Chef Kelly should still be onboard since he boarded Mariner sometime after our September cruise. He does 4 month contracts (I think - not sure).

25th Anniversary Galley Lunch was over the top wonderful. Photos to follow when I have time.

Not sure if we will be able to tender to Devil's Island. That will be determined tomorrow morning. IF we are able to tender, Captain Serena asked that people with mobility issues think about whether they want to go ashore as getting into and out of the tenders will be difficult and walking on the island is not easy.

My two Bloody Mary's has left me sleepy. Think a nap is in order.

Thanks for taking us along on your Amazon voyage TC, Jason Montague mentioned these officers will be on board when we board the Mariner in January

Captain: Aivo Palm

GM: Michael Coghlin

CD: Margaret Lynn (boards in Lima)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking us along on your Amazon voyage TC, Jason Montague mentioned these officers will be on board when we board the Mariner in January

Captain: Aivo Palm

GM: Michael Coghlin

CD: Margaret Lynn (boards in Lima)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Wes. It must have been Captain Palm that I accidentally shook hands with. Hope that Michael boards early Ike Donald will so we can give him a hug -- he is such a lovely man. Have not sailed with Margaret Lynn but did meet her when I visited the Mariner in Vancouver last year.

Hope that you and Ida enjoy the Mariner as much as we have. As I recall, you will be on the ship for quite a long time. For us, the first 2 1/2 weeks have flown by with 8 nights left!