Gratuities options

WeeCountyMan

The question is, if you believe they are exploited like that, how can you cruise at all?

It simply isn't true any longer, and hasn't been for a long time.

It's not me that shouldn't be cruising at all, it's those who have been told again and again that the crew depend on these tips for their livelihood, but still find excuses to stiff them that shouldn't cruise at all.

From the almighty and oft quoted ITF's website:

Many domestic staff are “tip earners”, paid about US$50 a month and expected to survive on the generosity of the passengers.

Often paid derisory wages of around US$50 a month – less than the price of a pair of sunglasses in the onboard shop

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

I'll cruise with however I like, but thanks for the advice.

Princess - what's yours ?

Seems you are more of a Thomson cruiser, well since you found them in 2011. It would appear you have sailed 9 times with them but only twice with your favourite cruiseline Princess, does the Princess gratuity policy have anything to do with this, I wonder.

I rest my case, but as you say cruise with whoever you choose.

However if you then wish to cruise with a cruise line that possibly doesn’t include tips please don’t look for ways to justify not paying those tips.

You asked who is my favourite cruiseline and I will have to say Celebrity.

I have been sailing with them since 2000, I have sailed on RCCL, NCL, HAL, AZamara and Oceana but that doesn’t really matter.

I have never sailed on a Thomson ship but have docked next to one or two of their ships in the last few years and I am sure everyone on board has a fabulous time.

However not for me, as it would appear from your posts that ships which add a daily charge are not for you.

The good thing is that there is so much choice available. I’m sure you will find a cruiseline that fits perfectly with what you want from a cruise.

Considering this, it would seem from your cruise history that you have, and that line isThomson.

Take care enjoy your next cruise I know I will ����

Edited by swigso

That is a very unfair assumption.

I have been cruising for many years and have never taken off “any grants”, in fact one year I paid those wonderful guys in the restaurant the tips that my miserly former friend tried to stiff on the last night.

Please don’t prejudge ����

I never realized that in the British version of English, 'I wonder' and 'I assume' mean the same thing. They don't in American English.

http://www.itfseafarers.org/demanding.cfm

Worth a read. Back in 2004, 800 dollars guaranteed and paid by cruise company.

It says guaranteed, not "paid for." Big difference.

Which converts to a tick over $2.00 per hour.

A lot of running around trying to justify whatever. Gratuities are a part of the American cruise experience. Basically, they are the employees only source of income. Those are facts. You can try your best to dispute those facts, but they do not jibe with reality.

Everything else is noise doing whatever to try to justify cheapness. Sorry, but that is the way it is, unvarnished and clear. If you don't like the system, find a cruise line that does not include gratuities and go your merry way. Do not mess with crew that is working their butts off trying to please your sorry selves.

Seems you are more of a Thomson cruiser, well since you found them in 2011. It would appear you have sailed 9 times with them but only twice with your favourite cruiseline Princess, does the Princess gratuity policy have anything to do with this, I wonder.

I rest my case, but as you say cruise with whoever you choose

Appearances can be deceptive - and it appears you are arithmetically challenged.

Three of our first four cruises anywhere were with Princess, as indicated, and we'll be booking another soon, once we can confirm our availability to travel on the dates in question.

FYI - the reason we've sailed with Thomsons so often is largely because we can fly from Glasgow or Edinburgh - the long coach journey to and from Southampton to join other lines is tedious and tiring. There are other factors, none of which have anything to do with tipping protocols.

The rest of your guff is not worth responding to.

Gee, I bet you were ace on the high school debate team.

How can you have a guarantee in your contract and not be paid it? Of course it is paid. They are signatories to contract, employer and employee backed by itf agreements.

Yes the pay rates are low compared to western standards. Just like your iPhone and the salary for the worker who assembled it in China .

The key question on this is if everyone pays their tips does the waiter/steward take home the minimum guaranteed by contract of $1000 or $2000 per month?

If $2000 they are clearly benefiting from the arrangements, if not cruise companies are offsetting their legal obligations.

I note how all companies base themselves outside of the UK/USA for tax and regulatory purposes.

Note, I haven't commented on my views on tipping. Just the facts of their contracts.

Appearances can be deceptive - and it appears you are arithmetically challenged.

The rest of your guff is not worth responding to.[/quote

Thomson Celebration Jan./Feb. 2011 - Red Sea

Diamond Princess Nov. 2011 - Beijing to Singapore

Thomson Spirit July 2012 - Baltic

Thomson Spirit Sept./Oct.2012 - Idyllic Iberia

Thomson Spirit Oct. 2013 - Mediterranean Odyssey

Thomson Spirit July 2014 - Fjordland Splendours

Thomson Celebration Oct. 2014 - Ancient Wonders

Star Princess March 2015 - Californian Coastal

Thomson Majesty Oct./Nov 2015 - A Taste For Adventure

Thomson Majesty May 2016 - Mediterranean Medley

Thomson Dream Oct. 2016 - Adriatic Explorer

Braemar (Fred Olsen) July 2017 - German Waterways

Seems you are more of a Thomson cruiser, well since you found them in 2011. It would appear you have sailed 9 times with them but only twice with your favourite cruiseline

Sorry but since 2011 I can still count 9 Thomson cruises or is this just a trick sorry if I’m thick and arithmetically chalenged,

I really love people making excuses to remove the gratuities.

So as a final retort Whatever

Gee, I bet you were ace on the high school debate team.

How can you have a guarantee in your contract and not be paid it? Of course it is paid. They are signatories to contract, employer and employee backed by itf agreements.

Actually, I was the captain of our Forensics team, but that is neither here nor there.

Do you not understand the difference between guaranteed (which the lions share is paid by pax and only any shortfall would be supplemented by the cruise line) and the cruise line paying it all? That was my entire point. The gratuities fuel the pay. If many stiff the gratuities, then the employee makes a maximum, according to formulas postulated by some here, of $800.00

Why do people care what their maximum income is? This whole silly discussion should never be raised.

If you are on an American based cruise ship, you live by the protocol. And the protocol calls for a daily charge for gratuities/service fee/whatever. Not happy? There are options.

Yes I completely understand. Your previous post implied that the employee was not paid their guarantee, which was the distinction which your post implied.

We were left with a view from your posts they are left with $50 a month. Clearly this is untrue, agree?

Agree. No gratuity based employee would end up with $50 per month. But they could end up with $800 (which I've never had verified by an employee, but will accept.). And $800 for 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 7 months straight (or more) is simply not acceptable to me. That is why I rail against tip stiffers and why we always supplement our gratuities to those who go above and beyond. That supplement probably totaled over $500 this month but I do not regret a nickel of it.

From the almighty and oft quoted ITF's website:

Many domestic staff are “tip earners”, paid about US$50 a month and expected to survive on the generosity of the passengers.

So, for the benefit of others who haven't seen where this is quoted, it is from this post: http://www.itfseafarers.org/dark-side.cfm

It is complaining about working conditions on non-signatory, non-ITF ships. The ITF goal is, as they put it on that very same page:

The ITF seeks a cruise industry regulated by negotiated trade union agreements, based on respect for basic human rights and a fair wage. In the first instance the ITF’s strategy is to approach the companies that operate cruise ships and ask them to conclude ITF-acceptable agreements.

And guess who they have signed up? Celebrity (and RCL, and Carnival, and Norwegian). Search for "Celebrity" to see a list of ships that have agreements with the ITF at this page http://www.itfseafarers.org/look_up_ship2.cfm

I think it was deceptive to quote that line out of context, without providing the source for the quote other than their "website".

So, for the benefit of others who haven't seen where this is quoted, it is from this post: http://www.itfseafarers.org/dark-side.cfm

It is complaining about working conditions on non-signatory, non-ITF ships. The ITF goal is, as they put it on that very same page:

And guess who they have signed up? Celebrity (and RCL, and Carnival, and Norwegian). Search for "Celebrity" to see a list of ships that have agreements with the ITF at this page http://www.itfseafarers.org/look_up_ship2.cfm

I think it was deceptive to quote that line out of context, without providing the source for the quote other than their "website".

To quote another poster bailing on this stupid thread.

Whatever.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The rest of your guff is not worth responding to.[/quote

Thomson Celebration Jan./Feb. 2011 - Red Sea

Diamond Princess Nov. 2011 - Beijing to Singapore

Thomson Spirit July 2012 - Baltic

Thomson Spirit Sept./Oct.2012 - Idyllic Iberia

Thomson Spirit Oct. 2013 - Mediterranean Odyssey

Thomson Spirit July 2014 - Fjordland Splendours

Thomson Celebration Oct. 2014 - Ancient Wonders

Star Princess March 2015 - Californian Coastal

Thomson Majesty Oct./Nov 2015 - A Taste For Adventure

Thomson Majesty May 2016 - Mediterranean Medley

Thomson Dream Oct. 2016 - Adriatic Explorer

Braemar (Fred Olsen) July 2017 - German Waterways

Seems you are more of a Thomson cruiser, well since you found them in 2011. It would appear you have sailed 9 times with them but only twice with your favourite cruiseline

Sorry but since 2011 I can still count 9 Thomson cruises or is this just a trick ������ sorry if I’m thick and arithmetically chalenged,

I really love people making excuses to remove the gratuities.

So as a final retort Whatever ����

Looks like you've missed out our first two cruises, Oct./Nov 2009 and Aug/2010.

Problem with the full listing on the signature block ?