Any news on captain Bob's tours?

2littleprincesses

I totally agree with you" we used to go with Blue Safaris until they went belly up. They IMHO were the BEST! We had another family with us and wanted them to experience the island via the speed boat. If Billy Bones would go out near Chesterfields on their own and "not" use Bob as the middle man, I'd recommend doing that in a heartbeat.

I am considering emailing Captain Bob to tell him the feedback he is getting on Cruise Critic and he should consider changing his price for the difference in lunch. I just don't know if it's worth it at this point.

Once a few years ago I needed to cancel a private excursion within a week of the cruise and the vendor gave me a hard time until I mentioned Cruise Critic.

You do need to keep in mind that he and everyone else lost months worth of business due to the hurricane which did put a dent into his business/finances...... I highly doubt that he will lower his prices. What he should do is be honest about the lunch thing (which is out of his control) due to the beach establishments being destroyed. From there one could make a decision as to whether it's worth it to them or not. I just didn't appreciate being deceived b/c I did ask and he stated lunch would be on Pinel. Pinel won't be ready for months in regards to large volumes of feeing people. He told everyone once you got to Chesterfields about the baguette sandwich vs. a hot mahi, ribs, or jerk chicken lunch. Just be upfront and honest.......

I am considering emailing Captain Bob to tell him the feedback he is getting on Cruise Critic and he should consider changing his price for the difference in lunch. I just don't know if it's worth it at this point.

Once a few years ago I needed to cancel a private excursion within a week of the cruise and the vendor gave me a hard time until I mentioned Cruise Critic.

I just sent an email to him and asked what changes there would be to our tour post hurricane. This the response.

“Everything will be the same as what was described in my original description except the lunch.

Until we establish a rebuilt restaurant, we will be having sandwiches served on the boat probably at Pinel Island.or along the way depending on the conditions.

We are back in business”

One of the reasons we were willing to pay a high price for this tour was because of the unique lunch experience. Since there is no reduction in price I guess we go and consider our $120 towards rebuilding or we don’t go and donate our deposit.

Debr

Well, he's at least now being upfront most likely knowing the cat would get out of the bag and be shared with others. We too, had no choice once we got there and decided to let it go and make the most of it. You'll have a good time. They should change the beer choice - cheap beer = headache later in the day.

Well, he's at least now being upfront most likely knowing the cat would get out of the bag and be shared with others. We too, had no choice once we got there and decided to let it go and make the most of it. You'll have a good time. They should change the beer choice - cheap beer = headache later in the day.

If we decide to go, would you mind answering a few questions ..

1. Did you stay at Maho airport long and did you see any planes?

2. How many were on your boat and was it uncomfortably tight?

3. Is there a place for stuff .. Camera, so it's not wet?

4. Was snorkeling equipment in good shape?

5. Do they carry water in addition to beer?

Any other details would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Debr

1. About 5-10 min at most and we saw one plane that probably held 70 people. Not big but not a mosquito either.

2. There was a total of 14 people that includes 3 middle school age kids.

3. Yes, storage was available to store things from getting wet.

4. We used our own snorkel gear but the stuff that they had was in decent shape..

5. Yes, they had bottled water, soda, and cheap beer - Presidente

You might want to bring water shoes if your want to really mingle around on Pinel Island. You need to be careful of nails, glass, and sharp objects mixed in with the sand off the beaten paths.

1. About 5-10 min at most and we saw one plane that probably held 70 people. Not big but not a mosquito either.

4. We used our own snorkel gear but the stuff that they had was in decent shape..

You might want to bring water shoes if your want to really mingle around on Pinel Island. You need to be careful of nails, glass, and sharp objects mixed in with the sand off the beaten paths.

Thank you

Debr

We made the decision to cancel with Capt. Bob and just do our own thing. I assumed we would just be out our deposit. He emailed and said we would owe the full amount because its less than 30 days. Thought the 30 days referred to the deposit. Need to assess our rights!

Debr

No, we paid just a deposit via pay pal, $49 for the 2.

Debr

Then I wouldn't worry about he trying to get you to pay the full amount. You never signed anything and assume you would be paying the difference in cash and in person. Can't get that if you don't show up nor can he charge your cc. I'd even call my cc to be sure nothing is charged before leaving. Did you read everything in the info that he sent you when paying your deposit in regards to losing the deposit? I don't recall reading that myself. He's desperate for business since losing months of it but honestly this is not the way to go on his part. He know all about Cruise Critic and that we all share the good, the bad, and the ugly..... Hope things work out for you.

Then I wouldn't worry about he trying to get you to pay the full amount. You never signed anything and assume you would be paying the difference in cash and in person. Can't get that if you don't show up nor can he charge your cc. I'd even call my cc to be sure nothing is charged before leaving. Did you read everything in the info that he sent you when paying your deposit in regards to losing the deposit? I don't recall reading that myself. He's desperate for business since losing months of it but honestly this is not the way to go on his part. He know all about Cruise Critic and that we all share the good, the bad, and the ugly..... Hope things work out for you.

Yes, read the cancellation policy when we reserved back in August and assumed we would only lose deposit if we cancelled within 30 days. We are just fine with that. Since this is now not what we signed up for and he isn't reducing his price, that is why we have cancelled.

It's unfortunate he wasn't upfront with folks on the true situation, but he is running a business and I wish him well.

Debr

I've done Capt Bob's before and it has always been an amazing day. We have it booked again for March. We felt totally safe and looked after. I'm not really sure what you are worried about? A lunch in a restaurant that got destroyed? The whole island is trying to recover and I'm just happy Bob is up and running.

I was also on this excursion last week of December and have to agree with 99 Florida. I honestly do not understand how ppl repeat this excursion again and again. Personally I think it is much more enjoyable in the warmer months. I did not see any fishes or turtles, so was dissappointed regarding the snorkling. Bob never once mentioned the changes to the tour, considering his generic email says he will include the restaurant and all the stops. I totally understand the hurricane situation, but would agree he should reflect that on the price. Bob didn't even have me on his list even tho we emailed back and fourth several times. Good thing the boat still had space and we was lucky to have less ppl on our boat with just 8 of us. I feel more than 8 would be too crowded personally. One last thing some of the beaches were very Rocky half of the ppl on the boat were cut and bleeding on the boat, not sure why they take ur water shoes when u should have kept them on.

• 2 months later...

We are having a similar issue with Capt Bob. We are scheduled to be on his tour in a week but have decided to cancel. The weather forecast is calling for high winds and between my motion sickness (I wear a patch but still feel it and am miserable) and my boyfriend’s bad neck, we decided it wasn’t best tour to do in high winds. I emailed Capt Bob and he said we still owe the whole amount, whether we go or not. The way I read the email when we made the deposit was that we would lose the deposit if we canceled within 30 days not have to pay the whole amount. Any suggestions on what to do?

We are having a similar issue with Capt Bob. We are scheduled to be on his tour in a week but have decided to cancel. The weather forecast is calling for high winds and between my motion sickness (I wear a patch but still feel it and am miserable) and my boyfriend’s bad neck, we decided it wasn’t best tour to do in high winds. I emailed Capt Bob and he said we still owe the whole amount, whether we go or not. The way I read the email when we made the deposit was that we would lose the deposit if we canceled within 30 days not have to pay the whole amount. Any suggestions on what to do?

Did you pay via credit card? If so, file a complaint or whatever to stop any payments to Soualiga. Do it asap so he doesn't charge you now. Wow. I am SO glad I decided not to use him again. Its a good tour but there are a few companies out there that do the exact same stops. I got turned off by cap bob for a few reasons before, during and after my tour. It was a nice day but a few things bothered me not to the point where I would write a vicious review but enough where I honestly would not use him again and i have not felt like this with any other tour operator.

Did you pay via credit card? If so, file a complaint or whatever to stop any payments to Soualiga. Do it asap so he doesn't charge you now. Wow. I am SO glad I decided not to use him again. Its a good tour but there are a few companies out there that do the exact same stops. I got turned off by cap bob for a few reasons before, during and after my tour. It was a nice day but a few things bothered me not to the point where I would write a vicious review but enough where I honestly would not use him again and i have not felt like this with any other tour operator.

What other tour operators do these same stops? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband & I did this tour several years ago & I was considering doing it again in Oct.

At that time, I felt it was somewhat overpriced but we were on a boat WITH Capt. Bob and between him and the Guavaberry Colada's at the old restaurant, I would say that if he had not been our Captain, it wouldn't have been the same tour. He is a funny guy, if a little rough around the edges. The food was also delicious and a big part of the day.

So, it isn't the same tour without those things, to me.

Also, at that time, pre-hurricane...it was no problem to cancel as close as 24 hours prior to departure.

For those cancelling outside of 30 days, I wouldn't worry about it. That is plenty of time to fill with other customers and as the 'contracted tour' is no longer available, then technically, he would be in breach were he to try to collect. Additionally, from what I'm reading/remembering, there is not a stipulation that if you cancel you still have to pay. That would be a non-refundable tour...and everyone has always had stipulations reflecting ship cancellations.

While I feel for the hurricane victims and their situation, the way this is being handled is ruining a good reputation from a previously reputable vendor. It's sad and speaks to the desperation of the situation.

I went out on this tour yesterday (and now I’m sad on my couch at home). We received an email 2 weeks-ish ago explaining about the restaurant and that we would be having sandwiches. When we got there yesterday morning they let us know that we would be going to a different restaurant. It was a delicious bbq joint so hopefully they will be using this stop regularly. Our tour guide was Sam and I believe Yanis, and both were great. We only got to see the Caribbean side of the island because the water was very rough but that was okay with all of us on the boat. Sam showed us a lot of areas that were hard hit and was telling us about the hotels and how long it will take before they start opening back up. The tour was very good but was a little over priced compared to the other island tour prices. It does seem like a one time trip for me but I am glad we did it.

For those that say this is over priced, what price did you pay? I am seeing $ 119 pp on the website. That is less than the catamaran excursions we did in Roatan and Barbados ($ 129 pp). Those were only 5 hours total and the one in Roatan was less than 3 hours on the water.

For those that say this is over priced, what price did you pay? I am seeing $ 119 pp on the website. That is less than the catamaran excursions we did in Roatan and Barbados ($ 129 pp). Those were only 5 hours total and the one in Roatan was less than 3 hours on the water.

I paid the price on the website. For comparison I did a full day tour in St Kitts for $45pp. This tour was an hour longer than Bobs and also included a delicious lunch. This was a land based tour so that accounts for some of the difference. In St Lucia I did a discover scuba course for $129pp. This included two dives, all scuba equipment, and a very thorough discover scuba course. Also included another lunch that was very comparable to what was provided on Bobs tour. When compared with the value of the dive trip, Bobs tour is not as good of a value.