Cagneys

smeck

Wish it was so - I like the flame scorched beef of the Burger King burger.

When they first started business you could see the flame broiling patties right in front of you.

Now what they do is flame the patties in advance and then nuke (microwave) warm them right after ordering.

Getting back to Cagney's which I find closer to Omaha steaks.

I always order the petite filet mignon 5 ounce the 8 oz is just too much when adding the side extras.

Every time I have had the filet the meat was seared to perfection (med-well) - the steak knife just needed

to butter its passing thru the beef - no chain saw massacre with tough grizzled beef.

I did not find the filet with a flame broiled taste or seasoning - maybe NCL has a secret recipe with special

(seasoning) sauce like that other golden arches burger place masking your hallucinating taste buds ! LOL !

Cagney's is my favorite SDP restaurant - except for Los Lobos on the NCL DAWN.

If it was Med-well then it was not seared to perfection [emoji12]. I understand people have different tastes but any chef will tell you that anything past Med-rare is a waste of a good steak. But to each their own.

To get back to topic, I️ have only ever tried ordering 1 app, 1 entree, 1 side, and sometimes a salad or soup. That’s certainly plenty of food for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was Med-well then it was not seared to perfection [emoji12].

Not true. The idea of pan searing is to achieve the sear which locks in moisture. Then finish in an oven for reaching the correct temp although it can be done in the pan completely as I have done this too many times to recount. Just basting with butter/clarified butter or olive oil keeps it seared with a warm pink center for medium.

Again, way off topic.

At Cagney's I was able to order 3 sides, my wife had 3 and I had two desserts, all under my dining package.

Not true. The idea of pan searing is to achieve the sear which locks in moisture. Then finish in an oven for reaching the correct temp although it can be done in the pan completely as I have done this too many times to recount. Just basting with butter/clarified butter or olive oil keeps it seared with a warm pink center for medium.

Again, way off topic.

At Cagney's I was able to order 3 sides, my wife had 3 and I had two desserts, all under my dining package.

You do realize that the oven is used in restaurants for efficiency, and not because it's the best/preferred way to cook a steak, right? You do also realize that a steak cooked to medium well is overdone by pretty much anyone's standards. If you believe that's cooked to perfection, then you've lost credibility on pretty much all else you've said.

Again, way off topic.

You def did not read my post or didn’t understand it. I️ said anything over Med-rare is a waste of a good piece of meat. Doesn’t matter how it was cooked, be it grilled, pan seared, oven baked etc. if it’s over Med-rare then throw it out lol.

You do realize that the oven is used in restaurants for efficiency, and not because it's the best/preferred way to cook a steak, right? You do also realize that a steak cooked to medium well is overdone by pretty much anyone's standards. If you believe that's cooked to perfection, then you've lost credibility on pretty much all else you've said.

The oven isn't for efficiency. It's done for effect. If you've never done it at home, you won't understand. I've been invited behind the doors at several high end restaurants and observed only 2 that employ this method.

You're making inferences that I never alluded to. I like my filet and all steak prepared to medium rare/medium.

I have prepared filet to medium well for guests and I've tried it. It isn't my preference but the meat was still tender

and retained some moisture. For me, perfection it isn't but for those that order it that way, it might be.

You def did not read my post or didn’t understand it. I️ said anything over Med-rare is a waste of a good piece of meat. Doesn’t matter how it was cooked, be it grilled, pan seared, oven baked etc. if it’s over Med-rare then throw it out lol.

I completely disagree with you. I've had and prepared filet to medium and felt it was as delicious, moist and as tender as anything prepared to medium rare, just warmer.

The oven isn't for efficiency. It's done for effect. If you've never done it at home, you won't understand. I've been invited behind the doors at several high end restaurants and observed only 2 that employ this method.

You're making inferences that I never alluded to. I like my filet and all steak prepared to medium rare/medium.

I have prepared filet to medium well for guests and I've tried it. It isn't my preference but the meat was still tender

and retained some moisture. For me, perfection it isn't but for those that order it that way, it might be.

I completely disagree with you. I've had and prepared filet to medium and felt it was as delicious, moist and as tender as anything prepared to medium rare, just warmer.

It’s not about what you disagree with as my original post stated that I️ am aware that people have varying tastes. However my statement was about how most chefs would consider anything above med-rare to be a waste of the meat hence not “perfection”.

It’s not about what you disagree with as my original post stated that I️ am aware that people have varying tastes. However my statement was about how most chefs would consider anything above med-rare to be a waste of the meat hence not “perfection”.

Chef opinions not withstanding, this is a conversation about something which has no absolutes, meaning there isn't a correct or incorrect answer other than what is edible and what someone likes.

I am hoping for a better filet when we visit Cagneys again. The one I had the first time was not enjoyable for me.

Cagney's is grossly overrated.

Have to agree. We probably set ourselves up to expect a superb experience by listening to people rave about Cagneys. Just off the Getaway.

My meal and one of my sister's were fine; not super, but fine; steaks were well cooked, but honestly I can get one just as good as home for half the price. Sides, apps, dessert kind of ordinary.

My husband's Porterhouse was much too well done, tough and gristly. My sister's sea bass was so bad she couldn't eat more than a bite or two. The potatoes on the side were almost raw.

We had the SDP; the only really great specialty meal we had was at Le Bistro. The others ranged from good to disappointing. I don't get what all the hoopla is about, for the prices charged.

Have to agree. We probably set ourselves up to expect a superb experience by listening to people rave about Cagneys. Just off the Getaway.

My meal and one of my sister's were fine; not super, but fine; steaks were well cooked, but honestly I can get one just as good as home for half the price. Sides, apps, dessert kind of ordinary.

I don't get what all the hoopla is about, for the prices charged.

Price was the one thing we thought was in line for what is received. It's about 1/4 the price of a good steakhouse and on par with ...dare I say....Outback...which is where I ranked my single experience dining there.

Le Bistro was no better than Cagneys during our experience. Having dined in France I suppose my expectations may have been too high but frankly, the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas was better and I rank that as the poorest example of French cuisine. I was hoping for traditional choices in the menu but was disappointed. The french onion soup was over salted, had near zero cheese and used the incorrect bread.

But again, for the prices....it is commensurate. I'd happily pay quadruple for the real deal. The same was true of the quasi Italian restaurant, gelatin in Tiramisu? Who does that???

Chef opinions not withstanding, this is a conversation about something which has no absolutes, meaning there isn't a correct or incorrect answer other than what is edible and what someone likes.

I am hoping for a better filet when we visit Cagneys again. The one I had the first time was not enjoyable for me.

That is where you are wrong. It is absolutely a known fact that the majority of chefs will tell you this. My wife likes eating raw potatoes and frozen smatter tots. And I’m sure most will agree that is wrong.

I️ do hope your filet is better next time as I️ have never had a bad filet at Cagney. I️ won’t say it is the best but certainly enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't see any mention of apps or sides at Cagney's or Le Bistro.

It says one main course.

Are they charging extra for all apps and sides?

There have been reports ever since it went a la carte that some servers say that they are restricted. It is the quantity which is an issue, nobody has ever suggested, as far as I’m aware, that they aren’t included at all.

From what I can tell, they usually back down if people question it.

i noticed Carney’s is priced Ala Carte. How does it work with the specialty dining plan?

They will ask you when you show up if you want to use one of your dining plan instances, say yes, and in our case the only limitation is that you can only order one entree. My husband ordered more than one dessert (!) and multiples of other courses are okay too. Drinks not included but if you have the unlimited drinks plan it will cover your drinks (under $15) in there also.

Please be aware reservations fill up very fast here. We reserve online (it costs nothing) as soon as our cruise is booked. Today we just booked for a March cruise and the 7:00 slot on the first sea day is already fully booked, 3 months out! La Cucina is another excellent option for steak - my husband and I enjoyed the steak there even more than at Cagney's.

They will ask you when you show up if you want to use one of your dining plan instances, say yes, and in our case the only limitation is that you can only order one entree. My husband ordered more than one dessert (!) and multiples of other courses are okay too. Drinks not included but if you have the unlimited drinks plan it will cover your drinks (under $15) in there also.

Please be aware reservations fill up very fast here. We reserve online (it costs nothing) as soon as our cruise is booked. Today we just booked for a March cruise and the 7:00 slot on the first sea day is already fully booked, 3 months out! La Cucina is another excellent option for steak - my husband and I enjoyed the steak there even more than at Cagney's.

Just for your info, they are not fully booked. They do not release all of the reservations for booking online before the cruise. People should be able to get a reservation by going to the desk when they first board.

It probably makes a big difference where you are from. Here in Nebr. (The Beef State), good steaks can be found at almostt any small town steakhouse in the $15-$20 range.

Probably in Omaha you will pay more, but not necessarily have better steaks, just city prices. As I said, we thought it would be a wonderful, wonderful meal, and while for two of us it was good, (the other two not so much) it wasn't memorable or outstanding in any way.

I don't think I've ever paid $30+ for a meal here!

Price was the one thing we thought was in line for what is received. It's about 1/4 the price of a good steakhouse and on par with ...dare I say....Outback...which is where I ranked my single experience dining there.

Le Bistro was no better than Cagneys during our experience. Having dined in France I suppose my expectations may have been too high but frankly, the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas was better and I rank that as the poorest example of French cuisine. I was hoping for traditional choices in the menu but was disappointed. The french onion soup was over salted, had near zero cheese and used the incorrect bread.

But again, for the prices....it is commensurate. I'd happily pay quadruple for the real deal. The same was true of the quasi Italian restaurant, gelatin in Tiramisu? Who does that???

I am actually getting on the jewel today for my 4th cruise this year today. The epic and getaway had the same stance 1 app 1 soup/salad 1 main dish 1 desert unlimited sides. The Star was different 1 side, 1 app or salad. And lobster could be added for 10$. I think you won’t know until you are there.

Cagney's is grossly overrated.

Amen. Cagney's sucks. I thought it sucked when I tried it for the first time on a previous cruise, and I decided to give them a second chance since everyone raves about the place on these boards. It sucked again.

I got a fatty, gristley, untrimmed greasy ribeye that was unseasoned and overcooked. The crab cake was from canned meat and had zero lumps. You'd expect to find this quality crab cake at a strip club buffet in Reno. Not even Las Vegas. Reno.

The sides were small and cold, with the exception of the truffle fries, which were nicely fried and pretty damn tasty.

But yeah, screw Cagney's. I actually preferred La Cucina.