FLASH NEWS! VIKING STAR DEC 21st CRUISE - STOPOVER IN TUNISIA & ALGIERS CANCELLED.

Gnoelj

Sad turn of political events that changed the ports of call for the Viking Star Mediterranean sailing on Dec 21.

Context is important when discussing facts of day.

I suggest two books for your sea days and in prepartion of saiing this area:

"The Middle Sea, A History of the Mediterranean" by John Julius Norwich

"Gertrude Bell, Queen of the Desert" ... or any biography of this woman.

Never any mention of her in the standard history books , but what a personal experience she had in her journeys to the this region that helped shaped history in the beginning of the 21st century.

And...if they didn't have trucks in France, a Tunisian wouldn't have run down and killed 86 people in Nice.

And...if they didn't hold rock concerts in Paris, 129 people wouldn't have been slaughtered.

And...(alluding to my earlier 'wife beater' comment) "If you hadn't said 'Good Morning' I wouldn't have hit you".

Have just received phone call from Viking, cancellation of Algiers and Tunis. Dep 4 th Jan

Substitutes Naples and Palma.Due to fears of travel to this area of U.S gov.

The Bardo in Tunis was the lure for us booking.

Cancelled and will receive full refund due to radical change of itinerary.

Very disappointed.

Travelled to China this time last year. A wonderful cruise.

Have just received phone call from Viking, cancellation of Algiers and Tunis. Dep 4 th Jan

Very disappointed.

Wow, very generous of Viking!

Very disappointed.

We each see it differently. I'm on the January 4 as well as the 12/28/17 and we are not canceling our vacation. This is our vacation time, our transatlantic air arrangements are made and are non-refundable, and we don't want the hassle of having to completely re-plan and book our vacation less than a week before Europe goes on Christmas vacation. We have known from the get-go that calls at Algiers and Tunis were a 'maybe' because of the political climate of the region. Anyone who books in that region should be ready for last minute changes. Yes, I am disappointed that we aren't going to make it to Tunis this time but at the same time, I am glad that Viking 1) puts passenger safety first and 2) has been able to make the decision enough in advance that they can give us alternate ports rather than sea days.

Yes indeed the itinerary for 4 th Jan has been changed as well. No Tunis or Algiers. Substitutes Naples and Palma.

Viking sells their Uk hols inclusive of flights,gratuities etc. So, fully entitled to refund due to any radical change in itinerary.

UK still deems it safe for travel to this area. Can see that US travellers have a more difficult decision to make.

Very easy to get on train Naples, a matter of less than 10 euros to Pompeii or Ercolano for visiting these wonderful sights. A very short walk to both.

I am afraid that Viking is working up changes to each sailing of the itinerary for the current season, one-by-one. If so, the 18 January cruise would be changed next, followed by the 1 February, 15 February and 1 March sailings. We'll see.

I am afraid that Viking is working up changes to each sailing of the itinerary for the current season, one-by-one. If so, the 18 January cruise would be changed next, followed by the 1 February, 15 February and 1 March sailings. We'll see.

Yes, they understand that many people have signed on to the cruise just because of the calls at Tunis and Algiers and they are trying not to cancel those calls.

I was notified via email from Viking last week of the changes to our itinerary. It is unfortunate that so many were not notified.

Such is the nature of traveling, and cruising in particular. We will try our best to make limoncello out of lemons!

Leaving the US early tomorrow. See you all onboard!

The point is,that everything, (like the wife beater who says "Now look what you made me do"), can, and will, be presented as a 'reason'.

A small personal anecdote.......in 1963 I went overland, heading east, back to Australia where I was then living. Traveled through Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan.....etc, etc.

In Syria, particularly, we were asked if we were "Deutsch".......we found it prudent to say (in English) that we were, and were continually told that they liked the Germans "Because the Germans killed the Jews".....this was 18 years after the end of WWII.

Jerusalem is not a reason, it's an excuse.

Yep. This!☝️☝️☝️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just received an email that the January 18th cruise has been revised. This just means I have to go back again. As FEMH said, we will make limoncello out of lemons.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter says that the best limoncello-filled chocolates come from a little shop near the Duomo in Florence.:evilsmile:

January 4 sailing just received the e-mail informing us of the itinerary change.

Just saw the "news" after logging into MyVikingJourney about the cancelled stops and the amended itinerary

. https://www.myvikingjourney.com/latestnews

However, the news was dated as:

January 1, 0001

Isn't 0001 A.D. just about 2017 years behind time???? LOL.

The webmaster should really be more careful what he put. It would help if he could check or proof read what he wrote before uploading it on the web. As mentioned before, there was other information on the Viking website which was confusing. This is not the first time.

Edited by Gnoelj

I just tried your link but it took me to my own MVJ homepage, where there is as of yet no mention of the change of itinerary.

Really? Looks like the webmaster is a bit slow in catching up with current situations.

I only noticed to see the news today. I did not remember seeing it before on MVJ, it must be recently added. In fact, I was looking for it several days ago but it did not seem to show up then.

Really? Looks like the webmaster is a bit slow in catching up with current situations.

I only noticed to see the news today. I did not remember seeing it before on MVJ, it must be recently added. In fact, I was looking for it several days ago but it did not seem to show up then.

This is one of those times when I want an e-mail or a phone call letting me know of the change. Once I have booked my dinner reservations, I really have no reasons to log in to MVJ and had that been Viking's way of notifying us of major changes to our itinerary, I would not have found out until we boarded.

This is one of those times when I want an e-mail or a phone call letting me know of the change. Once I have booked my dinner reservations, I really have no reasons to log in to MVJ and had that been Viking's way of notifying us of major changes to our itinerary, I would not have found out until we boarded.

Did Viking not send you an email, or phone you either directly or asked the travel agent to contact you about the change?

The Viking website is one of the things that does not live up to the high expectations we have of Viking. It gives "mixed messages" and slow in keeping up-to-date with the news. I remember having issues with the website giving information about visas in Algeria and about gratuities in their FAQ. And now this. I am certainly NOT IMPRESSED with VIking Ocean's website. It might look up-market, but the lack of attention to detail and slow in updating information lets it down.

When you go to the Viking updates on current sailing, it appears as

" Updated Itineraries

All Viking itineraries are currently sailing on schedule."

Unless we missed it, we could not find any news there to say that the Dec 21st cruise has cancelled stops in Algeria and in Tunisia.

However, when we logged in into "My Viking Journey", it showed that the schedule has indeed changed, and NOT identical to the original schedule. So how can they say that all itineraries are currently sailing on schedule?

It seems like the webmaster on the Viking website needs to improve the information.

This is not the first time where the information there is somewhat confusing.

In the FAQ on gratuities and tips, it indicates and give the impression that gratuities on board are not included for everybody. What they did not say is that for most/all (?) customers who are UK residents, gratuities are included in the fares, but for US residents , they are not included. Why did they not just be more clear about that? Now does that not lead to more confusion?

However, we did call Viking directly and spoke to their rep. and were informed that the two stops has indeed been cancelled.

I'm in the UK, sailing from Rome tomorrow.

Regarding gratuities...

If you book direct with Viking or an agency and aren't getting any free extras you will have to pay gratuities, both the general gratuities and the bar gratuities, they are not included in the cost of the cruise.

If your travel agent is offering free incentives you may not need to pay them. My agent is offering free gratuities, free Silver Spirit package and some free on board spend (not a lot). Flights are included in the cost of the cruise. You need to shop around agents for the best deal.

See you all tomorrow.

PS It's actually warmer in the UK today than in Rome - hope it improves.

Lorna

I'm in the UK, sailing from Rome tomorrow.

Regarding gratuities...

If you book direct with Viking or an agency and aren't getting any free extras you will have to pay gratuities, both the general gratuities and the bar gratuities, they are not included in the cost of the cruise.

If your travel agent is offering free incentives you may not need to pay them. My agent is offering free gratuities, free Silver Spirit package and some free on board spend (not a lot). Flights are included in the cost of the cruise. You need to shop around agents for the best deal.

See you all tomorrow.

PS It's actually warmer in the UK today than in Rome - hope it improves.

Lorna

Thanks for the information but we knew that when we confirmed with our travel agent.

Our point is, the website has lots of room for improvement, and it does not live up to "Viking's High Standards". The information on the Viking website did not always correlate with what Viking telephone customer service or our travel agent told us.

For example in the FAQ, it gave the impression that we have may have to get visas for the visit to Algeria, but it did not say usually Viking would arrange their excursions to include visa for its guests.

And then, on gratuities in the FAQ, it gave the impression that gratuities are not included for all guests. It did not mention that in certain markets, gratuities are frequently included in the fares for guests.

So when we read the information on the FAQ, it really confused us.

Or sometimes, the website was slow to catch up with current updates and news.

And then, with the news on the current amendment to the cruise itinerary which finally came up several days after we have got the news from Viking telephone customer service or via our travel agent, which you will probably see in your MVJ page (as you are on the Dec 21st cruise), it was dated as January 1, 0001 ! Did the webmaster not know that we are in December 2017?

So, the website might look "glossy", but if you scratch the glossiness a bit, you would find there are so many glaring issues it made us wonder who is the webmaster doing that . Just what is he playing at, does he/she not check his own work? That is the Viking website, not a website for some company from a Banana Republic.

Edited by Gnoelj

Did Viking not send you an email, or phone you either directly or asked the travel agent to contact you about the change?

The Viking website is one of the things that does not live up to the high expectations we have of Viking. It gives "mixed messages" and slow in keeping up-to-date with the news. I remember having issues with the website giving information about visas in Algeria and about gratuities in their FAQ. And now this. I am certainly NOT IMPRESSED with VIking Ocean's website. It might look up-market, but the lack of attention to detail and slow in updating information lets it down.

Sorry, I was responding to your comments about the website (which I agree with whole-heartedly) and expressing my opinion that MVJ is not the way to communicate to all passengers that there will a change in the itinerary. However, once that information has been disseminated to pax via e-mail or phone call, MVJ does need to reflect those changes as quickly as possible.

As of this morning, there have been a couple of changes already. Any list of the itinerary has been changed. Under Shorex, it shows the changes in the ports but if you bring up the Naples page, you will see the Sicily tours and excursions and under Sicily you will see Tunis tours. Hopefully corrections will come before booking closes for me at the end of today (while it remains open for those who are boarding in Rome).

Very disappointed.

Yes indeed the itinerary for 4 th Jan has been changed as well. No Tunis or Algiers. Substitutes Naples and Palma.

Viking sells their Uk hols inclusive of flights,gratuities etc. So, fully entitled to refund due to any radical change in itinerary.

UK still deems it safe for travel to this area. Can see that US travellers have a more difficult decision to make.

Very easy to get on train Naples, a matter of less than 10 euros to Pompeii or Ercolano for visiting these wonderful sights. A very short walk to both.

Reading some of the responses on roll-call threads that US-based guests have received from Viking about this itinerary change, it does not seem as though refunds are being offered. I'm wondering if this is some sort of UK regulation that covers this type of situation?