Visiting PV, Mazatlan & Cabo-beach people looking for suggestions

mitsugirly

never been to Grenada. Don't know anything about the scuba there at all. Haven't yet been to any of the islands out in that area.

We have been to Bonaire twice and the diving there is amazing and so easy, clear water, zillions of fish. Reefs right up to shore. If that is on the itinerary of a cruise, go for it. You will love it. I have lots of videos of it.

April is a great time to dive anywhere in the Caribbean as far as weather goes... less storms, rain, calmer seas. Water warmer too.

I hope you can figure it all out. Sounds like Roatan was a good time, even if raining and low vis due to weather all that week. Just think how good it would have been with sunny skies.

robin

never been to Grenada. Don't know anything about the scuba there at all. Haven't yet been to any of the islands out in that area.

We have been to Bonaire twice and the diving there is amazing and so easy, clear water, zillions of fish. Reefs right up to shore. If that is on the itinerary of a cruise, go for it. You will love it. I have lots of videos of it.

April is a great time to dive anywhere in the Caribbean as far as weather goes... less storms, rain, calmer seas. Water warmer too.

I hope you can figure it all out. Sounds like Roatan was a good time, even if raining and low vis due to weather all that week. Just think how good it would have been with sunny skies.

robin

Although they do have one that goes to the ABC islands, the particular cruise we are considering doesn't. However, it will go to several new islands I haven't been to before (St Croix, Martinique, Grenada) and then also St Maarten and Barbados, which we have done.

I think you guys will be happier with the 4 new islands, good water visibility and warmer, than on west coast!

Close to 90 day decision time!

Go for the best of snorkelling as that is what you want.

A scuba dive is a bonus for you all.

Good luck!

I think you guys will be happier with the 4 new islands, good water visibility and warmer, than on west coast!

Close to 90 day decision time!

Go for the best of snorkelling as that is what you want.

A scuba dive is a bonus for you all.

Good luck!

Yea, I think it's a better fit. We have officially cancelled this Mexican Riviera cruise. We actually had to know by today bc my TA was going out of town and wasn't going to be around for the due date. Maybe another time and maybe it gets warmer in the summer? That's something I'll have to check into.

I think we'll be happy.

Yea, I think it's a better fit. We have officially cancelled this Mexican Riviera cruise. We actually had to know by today bc my TA was going out of town and wasn't going to be around for the due date. Maybe another time and maybe it gets warmer in the summer? That's something I'll have to check into.

I think we'll be happy.

Sounds like a plan. :D

I think we'll be happy.

That's too bad, I think you would have enjoyed it. We love cruising there, and try to do it as often as possible. It is warm there year around, but definitely warmer (even hot) and humid during the summer months (May-Oct).

I think we'll be happy.

I would never do the Mexican Riveira in summer.. the ocean temps are affected by the current more that air temps. The current on the west coast is a cold current coming down from Alaska all year round.

Sorry I didn't see this until today to put in my 2 cents and maybe change your mind. We have done this cruise every New Years Eve since 2011. The weather at the ports is so warm in December/January. We did a discover scuba in Cabo a few years ago and it was fabulous. We did have to wear wet suits.

In PV there is a great beach right by where the ships dock with every water sport you could want, except maybe snorkeling. We have rented paddle boards and jet skis there and gotten massages on the beach. The water is wonderful with the hot air. No taxis or travelling involved,

Stone Island in Mazatlan is a beautiful, relaxing beach and it's easy to ignore the vendors.

If you ever decide to do this cruise go between October and December. The water in Cabo last month was so warm and very clear. I don't snorkel, but I love to swim in the ocean. Hope you enjoy the cruise you changed to. Snorkeling isn't really very good at any of those ports and I agree with Las Caletas. I went to Las Caletas in February once and the water there was warm and we actually saw several whales on the way to the island.

Candi

That's too bad, I think you would have enjoyed it. We love cruising there, and try to do it as often as possible. It is warm there year around, but definitely warmer (even hot) and humid during the summer months (May-Oct).

I will keep this in mind. We love the heat!

I would never do the Mexican Riveira in summer.. the ocean temps are affected by the current more that air temps. The current on the west coast is a cold current coming down from Alaska all year round.

Are you saying that summer months it's too hot or cold? This cold current coming from Alaska is worse when? Your post makes it sound like it's worse in the summer? Just trying to clarify.

Sorry I didn't see this until today to put in my 2 cents and maybe change your mind. We have done this cruise every New Years Eve since 2011. The weather at the ports is so warm in December/January. We did a discover scuba in Cabo a few years ago and it was fabulous. We did have to wear wet suits.

In PV there is a great beach right by where the ships dock with every water sport you could want, except maybe snorkeling. We have rented paddle boards and jet skis there and gotten massages on the beach. The water is wonderful with the hot air. No taxis or travelling involved,

Stone Island in Mazatlan is a beautiful, relaxing beach and it's easy to ignore the vendors.

I will definitely keep all this in mind. I do plan on doing this one day...if not only for the experience of whale watching and swimming with the whale sharks. :D But as of now, it's cancelled and we have booked (and paid in full) for another cruise. So, this is now definite.

If you ever decide to do this cruise go between October and December. The water in Cabo last month was so warm and very clear. I don't snorkel, but I love to swim in the ocean. Hope you enjoy the cruise you changed to. Snorkeling isn't really very good at any of those ports and I agree with Las Caletas. I went to Las Caletas in February once and the water there was warm and we actually saw several whales on the way to the island.

Candi

Thanks and I'll keep this in mind. I will definitely go one day...it just won't be this time. It does look beautiful there and one day I'll experience it.

Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions, thoughts, comments and so on. It was very much appreciated. :)

Are you saying that summer months it's too hot or cold? Your post makes it sound like it's worse in the summer? Just trying to clarify.

Most folks that frequent the Mexican Riviera avoid the summer months (May-Oct) because it is unbearably hot and humid.

But as of now, it's cancelled and we have booked (and paid in full) for another cruise. So, this is now definite.

A huge mistake in our humble opinion.;)

Hi all!

mitsugirly ~ sorry to hear that you've cancelled the MR cruise as I was looking forward to seeing what you'd think of it.

The new cruise has some interesting ports. We spent a week in Grenada in 1975 & have been to the other islands too but since we're not beach/water people can be of no help.:( What ship are you doing it on?

I've recently cancelled a cruise on Symphony of the Seas as they aren't going to have solo cabins which was my interest & instead booked Breakaway & Carnival Glory from New Orleans for April 2019! I'm also looking at Sunshine, I like Carnival cruises & NCL too.

WIshing you all the best in 2018 & happy cruising!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

mitsugirly ~ sorry to hear that you've cancelled the MR cruise as I was looking forward to seeing what you'd think of it.

The new cruise has some interesting ports. We spent a week in Grenada in 1975 & have been to the other islands too but since we're not beach/water people can be of no help.:( What ship are you doing it on?

I've recently cancelled a cruise on Symphony of the Seas as they aren't going to have solo cabins which was my interest & instead booked Breakaway & Carnival Glory from New Orleans for April 2019! I'm also looking at Sunshine, I like Carnival cruises & NCL too.

WIshing you all the best in 2018 & happy cruising!

Yea, I'll do a MR cruise some day. Promise.

We will be sailing with RC this time. I haven't been on RC since the late 90's so this should be interesting. I'm looking forward to trying them out again.

I would love to sail on the Sunshine, but haven't found the perfect itinerary/timing quite yet. Have fun on the Breakaway and Glory! :)

Yea, I'll do a MR cruise some day. Promise.

We will be sailing with RC this time. I haven't been on RC since the late 90's so this should be interesting. I'm looking forward to trying them out again.

I would love to sail on the Sunshine, but haven't found the perfect itinerary/timing quite yet. Have fun on the Breakaway and Glory! :)

Hi again!

Which RCL ship please?

Thanks but I have Star & Bliss before those 2.

The Sunshine cruise I'm thinking of is a Journeys cruise for my birthday in Dec '19.

It goes to Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Turk & HMC & sails from Charleston. Interested?

I like RCL too, as a matter of fact the ship we're going on in Feb. was Legend of the Seas. I've been on it, Freedom, Oasis, Allure & Serenade & enjoyed them all but really like the studio cabins on the NCL ships.

Jo

Sent from my UMI TOUCH X using Forums mobile app

I have read all your reviews and based on that I would say you made a good decision cancelling. I have done the mexican riveria 8 times now and am going again in 10 days. It really is not a snorkeling trip. Stone Island in Matzalan has nothing to see. We did not even see one fish. The water is too cold in Cabo in April. Even in PV at the end of March the water took our breath away. We were snorkeling off a boat. Living in Cali it is a cheap cruise as no flights are needed. We like to hang out at the beach and eat and have a few drinks. It is perfect for that. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi again!

Which RCL ship please?

Thanks but I have Star & Bliss before those 2.

The Sunshine cruise I'm thinking of is a Journeys cruise for my birthday in Dec '19.

It goes to Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Turk & HMC & sails from Charleston. Interested?

I like RCL too, as a matter of fact the ship we're going on in Feb. was Legend of the Seas. I've been on it, Freedom, Oasis, Allure & Serenade & enjoyed them all but really like the studio cabins on the NCL ships.

Jo

Sent from my UMI TOUCH X using Forums mobile app

Oh sorry, we will be on the Jewel

That Sunshine cruise is definitely one I would be interested in. I would have to talk to the hubby about it though because he usually doesn't like sailing right around Christmas (because we have done that several times before and it sorta hurts the business...but after this Christmas, I swore I'm just going away the week of Christmas from now on and not dealing with the stress of family. Charleston would be new for us too.

I have read all your reviews and based on that I would say you made a good decision cancelling. I have done the mexican riveria 8 times now and am going again in 10 days. It really is not a snorkeling trip. Stone Island in Matzalan has nothing to see. We did not even see one fish. The water is too cold in Cabo in April. Even in PV at the end of March the water took our breath away. We were snorkeling off a boat. Living in Cali it is a cheap cruise as no flights are needed. We like to hang out at the beach and eat and have a few drinks. It is perfect for that. Enjoy your cruise.

I'm glad to hear this. Air fare was outrageous to get there and although so is getting to PR is too during this time frame, at least I know that it will be something we will enjoy. :)

I'm glad to hear this. Air fare was outrageous to get there and although so is getting to PR is too during this time frame, at least I know that it will be something we will enjoy. :)

Kim,

Having read many of your reviews, I don’t think you would enjoy Las Caletas. We were there this past week. Not much to see snorkeling wise and the water was rough. We had fun, but I think you would be disappointed.

-Matthew

Kim,

Having read many of your reviews, I don’t think you would enjoy Las Caletas. We were there this past week. Not much to see snorkeling wise and the water was rough. We had fun, but I think you would be disappointed.

-Matthew

Maybe a MR cruise is in my future when I get too old to do all these snorkeling/scuba activities. :p I'm sure there will be a day that I just want to relax on vacation instead of go-go-go. I would still like to see these ports. I'll just have to do a little more research on the best time to go.

HI all!

Kim ~ I thought of you today while reading scubadude's comments & seeing his pictures on Shipmate.

He did a shore dive in about 20' of water in Cozumel & saw a bunch of seahorses, have you ever seen some? I can't remember from your reviews.

I did book that Sunshine Journeys cruise for Dec '19 so hope I get to do it, at my age you never know! You're lucky you're still young & active so can look forward to a MR cruise or even an Alaskan one at some point.

Have you done a Journeys cruise?

I remembered after telling you we'd spent a week in Grenada in 1975, that that was the 1st time DH & I snorkeled, on a catamaran trip. In 1992 DD & I did that snorkel path at St Johns USVI & all that kicking tired me out & I ached for days so never did it again.:o

All the best to you all this year. I look forward to your next cruise but think I have one of my own first.;)

HI all!

Kim ~ I thought of you today while reading scubadude's comments & seeing his pictures on Shipmate.

He did a shore dive in about 20' of water in Cozumel & saw a bunch of seahorses, have you ever seen some? I can't remember from your reviews.

I did book that Sunshine Journeys cruise for Dec '19 so hope I get to do it, at my age you never know! You're lucky you're still young & active so can look forward to a MR cruise or even an Alaskan one at some point.

Have you done a Journeys cruise?

I remembered after telling you we'd spent a week in Grenada in 1975, that that was the 1st time DH & I snorkeled, on a catamaran trip. In 1992 DD & I did that snorkel path at St Johns USVI & all that kicking tired me out & I ached for days so never did it again.:o

All the best to you all this year. I look forward to your next cruise but think I have one of my own first.;)

I have spent awhile (just now) trying to figure out how to navigate this shipmate site you mentioned and find scubadudes review and I have failed. I just don't get how to find anything on that site. Blah.

Nope, we have never ever seen a seahorse yet. I have looked for years. Someone swore there was one right at the entrance of the steps at Chankanaab in Cozumel and I searched for quite some time and never found it. We were told that seahorses are usually all over when we went diving in Curacao-nope. We were told the same thing in Aruba when we went diving-none. Then it was mentioned in Roatan diving as well-zero. So, we have yet to see any. I have to get my seahorse fix from my neighbor who has a seahorse tank. I get to "seahorse-sit" every time they are cruising or out of town. They are so interesting to watch. When they eat, the make a loud snapping pop sound that can be heard outside the tank. Pretty cool.

Nope I have never done a Journeys cruise. Is that where they have popular singers on board? I've never really looked into it before and haven't seen it offered for any dates I have ever looked at.

The key to snorkeling is not kicking hard or much (other than maybe getting to and from where you are going) but to just relax and glide slowly in the water. Then you see all the good stuff coming out and not hiding from the motion you create when kicking and moving around. I love to just float and watch what appears. :D But yes, sometimes it can be tiring...but then I sleep good that night. :p

My next is up in 89 days. :)

Hi all!

Kim ~ sorry you weren't able to find scubadude over on the other site, which btw is very useful with count downs, deck plans, shore excursions etc but I see it doesn't have a search feature! I found his post so asked him if he posts over here.

If I remember correctly I think I saw a Seahorse on my glass bottom boat ride off HMC. I'm positive I saw Starfish, which believe it or not are also found in Alaska! After Googling about Seahorses in the Bahamas I see there is an excursion from Nassau looking for them.

A Journeys cruise doesn't feature a musician but has special chefs, food, lecturers, throwback to the 80's day etc. They seem to be mostly 14 days but mine is only 11 nights.

Thx for the explanation about using one legs during snorkelling. It's too late for me as now I only go in the water up to my knees so have to rely on your lovely photos to see what lies below.;)