Smoking Ban on Family Ships?

joro44

Given up any hope of any non smoker attempting to answer my question regarding whether it's just the smell of tobacco/tobacco like products that they take umbrage to or whether they believe those who vape are going to cause them any health issues. If it's the health issue do please enlighten me and point me in the direction of some 'valid' research that supports your claim.

Hi, NoFlyGuy, sorry not to have replied to this part of the argument. As you will have read from my posts I do think that P&O have the right balance at the moment so no need for me to go over that again.

As a non smoker what I hate the most is the smell when in a smoke filled place or around smokers and the smoke wafting past me and having to breathe it in. I have always been like this - even as a young child apparently and that was before all of the research came in about passive smoking. I just hate the smell, the smoke and the fact that after a short time I start to smell of the stuff too. Just hate it. My parents were non smokers and I remember the horrible smell the next day when we had had guests around who smoked. Ugh

On Ventura (despite the smoking vent) I very much doubt that the smoke would have been a problem re our health as it was too far away, but the smell was horrible and really affected our enjoyment on the balcony. Would have preferred the sea air. We can smell cigarette smoke at 100 yds! The smoke also makes my eyes burn.

We never tend to dwell on the issue re passive smoking on a ship as we don't go anywhere where there are people smoking a lot around us. To be honest, we would not be concerned health wise on the promenade deck when we go for a walk and have to pass through a few people smoking on a sea day.

Ironically I love the smell of a cigar ............... would I want to sit around people puffing away on one, no, but I do actually like the smell. Why wouldn't I sit amidst the smokers? Probably because of breathing in the smoke and it burning my eyes again.

Not sure if that all makes sense

Given up any hope of any non smoker attempting to answer my question regarding whether it's just the smell of tobacco/tobacco like products that they take umbrage to or whether they believe those who vape are going to cause them any health issues. If it's the health issue do please enlighten me and point me in the direction of some 'valid' research that supports your claim.

I am a non smoker and always have been. I dislike the smell of smoke from cigarettes, cigars and pipes and don’t much like emissions from those who vape. I also dislike having to wear clothes polluted with the smell of smoke from being around smokers. In the open air, on a ship with a decent breeze blowing smoke seawards, it is not too bad, the smoking area is somewhere I avoid. I also choose my balcony cabin carefully so it is not on the ‘smoking side’ of the ship (another benefit of select fares).

As for the health risks of breathing in second hand smoke, this doesn’t worry me too much. In the open air, I can well believe the smoke gets blown away. As I would not be sitting at a table with a smoker, breathing in their smoke at short range is not an issue.

I do however believe that smokers should be allowed to smoke. They have to feed their addiction somehow and smoking tobacco is an obvious way to do this. Provided they stick to the designated areas, I can’t see that there is a problem. However, I do not think duty free cigarettes should be sold throughout the cruise because if the high ‘duty paid’ price is designed to discourage smoking, maybe the much lower duty free price encourages smokers to smoke more than they would do normally. Perhaps it should only be collected on the last day of the cruise as with alcohol.

Hi Presto2! Many thanks for your frank and reasonable comments.

Normally I'm 'mister easy going, anything for a quiet life' but I do get the hump when certain folk accuse me of being antisocial without perhaps examining their own life choices, hence my various posts.

Time for me to stop boring you all with my opinions!

P&O are trying to appease every bodies values by offering tax/duty free tobacco products on the one hand and using this slogan on the other:

We are Macmillan : Support for Cancer and collecting money for both actions.

In the same way, they are trying to provide facilities for all tastes, not as simple as one may think, evidence the responses to my thread.

The issue I have with people who vape their nicotine hit is twofold.

There are some who consider the no smoking rules don't apply to them so will use them outside the designated areas

Then there are those using machines that give off huge clouds of foul smelling vapour. I am never sure who they are trying (and failing) to impress, but they are obviously suffering from a serious inferiority complex.

However I have sympathy and pity for both smokers and vapers as I appreciate they are addicts and in no control of their desires.

I am a non smoker and always have been. I dislike the smell of smoke from cigarettes, cigars and pipes and don’t much like emissions from those who vape. I also dislike having to wear clothes polluted with the smell of smoke from being around smokers. In the open air, on a ship with a decent breeze blowing smoke seawards, it is not too bad, the smoking area is somewhere I avoid. I also choose my balcony cabin carefully so it is not on the ‘smoking side’ of the ship (another benefit of select fares).

As for the health risks of breathing in second hand smoke, this doesn’t worry me too much. In the open air, I can well believe the smoke gets blown away. As I would not be sitting at a table with a smoker, breathing in their smoke at short range is not an issue.

I do however believe that smokers should be allowed to smoke. They have to feed their addiction somehow and smoking tobacco is an obvious way to do this. Provided they stick to the designated areas, I can’t see that there is a problem. However, I do not think duty free cigarettes should be sold throughout the cruise because if the high ‘duty paid’ price is designed to discourage smoking, maybe the much lower duty free price encourages smokers to smoke more than they would do normally. Perhaps it should only be collected on the last day of the cruise as with alcohol.

A very sensible post. I’m horribly inclined to agree about the duty free cigarettes being sold on board. On the last cruise I started smoking again after a year off. Then being cheap and available wasn’t the only factor, but it helped with the decision.

Ironically those cheap fags cost me another £3,000 in cigarettes after the cruise, from smoking 20 a day for just over a year... more than enough for a cruise holiday for 2! However I’m stopping again in the next few days.

That said, I disagree with the OPs point. I think p&o have the balance right. There’s so few areas on the ship where people can smoke they are easily avoided by the majority that don’t. And while people do still choose to smoke, it would only be sensible to allow a limited, outdoor provision of areas in which people can do so.

I’m not convinced by the passive smoking argument, when smoking takes place outdoors in the open air. Compared to harmful particulates that belch out of the funnel out in the open sea and blow across the open decks (see the sensationalist channel 4 “documentary” for more info), a limited, easily avoided, smoking area should be the last of people’s worries [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"One has to wonder how they managed to survive 15 or more years ago when smoking was allowed in pubs, restaurants, shopping centres etc. Life must have been unbearable. "

Yes it was, our clothes, hair, etc would stink to high heavens, Everyone smelled horrible!! And for the record, I am an ex-smoker.

h3rjp, we wish you every success with your 2018 endeavour. Perhaps, when you return to one of P&O's ships, spending that which you have saved, the tobacco outlet will be much less prominent, shuttered, as at home, or even closed down.

Best Wishes for 2018

One recalls the guidance given where employment spaces had no natural ventilation, three room air changes per hour - five where smoking is allowed. Furthermore, the tobacco condensate on windows, walls, etc, and furnishings meant that cleaning/decorating costs were substantially increased. Remember the brownish, gummed up vent axia extraction fans?

Let me allay your fears, there is no evidence that a person will become obese from passive ice cream or pudding eating from a person near you, unfortunately the same cannot be said about smoking and cancer

What about the dangers of a fat person falling on you? I suspect that statistically, that's a bigger danger than walking past a smoker in the open air.

I know that passive smoking can be dangerous. There are numerous cases of people who lived forty years with a heavy smoker in the house, never smoked themselves, but got lung cancer. But that doesn't mean that a single breath (or even a dozen breaths) of cigarette-infested air will kill you. Don't be like the man (Supersize me) who ate nothing but McDonalds food for a month, and ate far too much of it, and thought that when it made him ill it proved there was something wrong with McDonalds food. Most things, even passive smoking, are harmless in small doses.

Having been brought up with parents who smoke I have had a lifelong hatred of it. However, even though I suffer from a non smoking related lung condition, I think smokers should still be allowed places to smoke in peace. What I was annoyed at on our last cruise on Azura was a couple of people vaping on the sly in Brodie’s bar. It was only a step outside to the smoking area and the weather was warm. There was no need to subject others to their fumes.