Review: Serenade 11-Day, Southern Caribbean

Terre

Ports of Call:

St. John’s, Antigua

Here we took a tour with Scenic Tours Antigua. We booked the Island Tour on line. Our guide was Morven, pronounced Marvin. Morven was an excellent guide giving us a history lesson as we went along. We learned that there are 265 beaches in St. John’s and that Columbus discovered it in 1493. It has several universities, including a medical university and they are free to residents. Once we made our way through the city of St. John, our tour takes us into country villages on the way to an area with breathtaking views and lots of history. After exploring Shirley Heights, we stopped at Nelson’s Dockyard National Park where we saw the old guard house, pitch and tar store, boat house, Officers’ Quarters, and much much more. There was a yacht show there that day so we walked around taking pictures of the yachts until we got kicked out – we were not supposed to be in that area! There is a lot of history here beginning in 1713, when the Caribbean was the scene of struggle for navel supremacy. Today, the dockyards is a historic maritime monument and is used by private sailing yachts.

Morven’s regular job is working at a bakery when there are no tourists. He took us to the bakery where he works and he showed us the machinery and let us taste some items that had just come out of the oven – oh. my. gosh. Scrumptious! Winding through the mountains of lush vegetation on this beautiful island, we eventually end our tour and return to the pier. We opted not to go to the beach. Morven gave us a wonderful day and he was so much fun! I highly recommend this tour. There is free wifi just outside the cruise terminal, but it’s very spotty. I tried texting home when I had it, but my texts wouldn’t go. We had rain during the day here and saw a rainbow on our tour.

From Shirley Heights

IMG_1097%20-%20Copy.jpg

View from Shirley Heights

IMG_1115%20-%20Copy.jpg

Waiting for Tour

IMG_9536.jpg

At the Dockyards

IMG_9638.jpg

Morven at his bakery

IMG_9673.jpg

At the Dockyards

IMG_9636.jpg

Great review. How many people were in your group for the tour with Scenic Tours Antigua? What type of vehicle? We will be there in April and am gathering info. Thanks

Donma

Great review. How many people were in your group for the tour with Scenic Tours Antigua? What type of vehicle? We will be there in April and am gathering info. Thanks

Donma

There were around 10 or so and it was a van.

Hi Terre!

Great review and lovely pics. :) It's really interesting to get a different perspective from our own experience.

We did get our invitation for the M&M and our beds were very comfy. Nothing like that awful dip in yours. :eek:

We also didn't have to shift the TV to get to the safe because in our room the safe was in a cupboard above the TV.

Happy holidays!

Fiona.

I enjoyed the review even though we'll be going to different ports.

Did you notice if Park Cafe had beef on a weck?

I can eat lunch in my balcony every day if they do. I love them on Oasis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I enjoyed the review even though we'll be going to different ports.

Did you notice if Park Cafe had beef on a weck?

I can eat lunch in my balcony every day if they do. I love them on Oasis.

I don't know. They had some tiny little sandwiches, a ham and cheese, a proscuitto (SP?), a turkey, I think and some kind of veggie sandwich. They had some salads, and pizza in the evening. Lunch was the same, but I can't remember if they had pizza at lunch or not. They had a soup every evening, too. They had prepacked egg salad, but I was afraid to get that. I don't think Park Cafe on the Serenade is like the one on the Oasis, but I could be wrong, I can't really remember the one on the Oasis.

Hi, Fiona! That was a terrible mattress! I should have asked for another one. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Did we meet you at the M&M?

Yes, we did. We won the bottle of champagne in the draw, if you remember. :)

Great review!

Question about showering in the Spa - did you have a Spa package? Or is the shower area accessable without having to purchase a Spa package or service?

Thanks

You do not need a spa package. You can use the sauna, steam room and showers for free.

We had to cancel this cruise at the last minute as I was diagnosed with Anal Cancel and started Chemo and Radiation treatments as you were boarding.

But we have it booked again for 2018 and we are both looking forward to it. thumbsup_zps5d13f512.gif

Trainman, I know and I'm so sorry. You are in my prayers.

I don't know. They had some tiny little sandwiches, a ham and cheese, a proscuitto (SP?), a turkey, I think and some kind of veggie sandwich. They had some salads, and pizza in the evening. Lunch was the same, but I can't remember if they had pizza at lunch or not. They had a soup every evening, too. They had prepacked egg salad, but I was afraid to get that. I don't think Park Cafe on the Serenade is like the one on the Oasis, but I could be wrong, I can't really remember the one on the Oasis.

Even the Captain gets the Park Cafe roast beef sandwiches on the Oasis!

Hi! Did you notice if the Serenade has the Freestyle Coca Cola machines in the Windjammer or elsewhere on board for those who purchase the soda package? Also, did you try the Rita's Cantina?

Thanks! We are sailing in less than 90 days and are super excited! :o)

No Freestyle and Rita's was empty the times I went thru there, was on the same cruise.