BCN to JFK

martyap

I posted this on the Europe port of call board but just trying to get some additional advice. We will be disembarking the Symphony on 10/23/18. It is scheduled to arrive in port in Barcelona at 5am. We are considering two choices for flights back to NY:

1. 11:40am with a 1hr 25 minute layover in LHR arrival in NY at 5:35pm

2. 1:35pm with a 2hr 05 minute layover in LHR arrival in NY at 8:00pm

I know the airport in Barcelona is only about 30 minutes from the port; I doubt they offer luggage valet in BCN.................Do you think the 11:40 is too risky? Fares are the same.

I cannot see your #2 choice, but the first choice would be fine for a departure time.

Thanks Bob........these were the two I was looking at

I know the airport in Barcelona is only about 30 minutes from the port; I doubt they offer luggage valet in BCN.................Do you think the 11:40 is too risky? Fares are the same.

Thanks Bob........these were the two I was looking at

If the ship arrives at 5am, you should be off well before 7am. That should put you at the airport about 4 hours before the flight. For an international flight, I'd play it safe and plan to arrive at least 3 hours before the flight, so you've got some room to play with there. Just make sure you get with Guest Services and get luggage tags no later than 7am.

I don't believe there is luggage valet in Barcelona.

I would be a bit nervous about a layover of just an hour and 25 minutes at Heathrow. Do the connecting flights operate into and out of the same terminal?

You can use this flight connection guide on the airport's website to get an idea of how feasible your connection is.

https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

If you self disembark you should have no problem. We took a taxi and it's only 15-20 min. to airport. However, since the attack, there's add'l security and it was like a zoo in August. Just be sure that your airline check-in counter is open at a decent time. We flew AA and had to wait some 1.5 hrs to open and caused us to encounter monumental traffic leading to security check. Don't put away your passport as we must have shown it at some 5-6 different points between check-in and departure gate.

AA had extra security at the departure gate--passport shown to enter the gate/waiting area & passport before boarding plane.

We flew a 10:30a flight from BCN to Atlanta last September. We were at the airport before the Delta desk even opened. We checked in, went through security, and were waiting in the lounge, at about 8:00. I had booked a car to take us from the pier to the airport, just to be safe. We got off the ship so fast though that we ended up taking one of the many taxis that were waiting instead. Unless something goes wrong, you should have no problem with an 11:40 flight. As someone else said, make sure that you can make your connection in LHR. That's the bigger concern.

I would be a bit nervous about a layover of just an hour and 25 minutes at Heathrow. Do the connecting flights operate into and out of the same terminal?

You can use this flight connection guide on the airport's website to get an idea of how feasible your connection is.

https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

Thanks everyone! This link won't take me to next October....However....

Neither of the flights I picked are showing a terminal change in LHR.

The early flight gives me a layover of 1 hour 25 minutes; the later flight 2 hours 5 minutes. I really do not have a choice on AA for a non stop flight but there are others with layovers in Heathrow of more than two hours.......HELP!!!!

Is it AA all the way or do you change airlines in LHR?

The first leg of each is AA operated by British Airlines (BCN to LHR)

The second leg of each is AA (LHR to JFK)

Neither times are showing a terminal change in LHR

I looked up a connection in June via

https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections# And then you do need to change terminals

I would go for the transfer with a little bit more time as there can always be air traffic delays out of Spain or if you are traveling in October encounter a nice fall storm in London.

Patricia

I would definitely go with the longer layover in Heathrow.

We’ve just had to run through Heathrow for our connecting flight because of an incoming flight delay - it was not a pleasant experience and we are fairly fit. Even if you’re arriving into the same terminal, you will have to go through the security check again and the lines can be long

The 11:40 flight would probably be ok for BCN, I would most likely book it. The bigger problem I see is the Connecting time in LHR. 1 hour 25 is cutting it really close, especially as it looks like a transfer between T5 and T3 is involved.

I would say take the 11:40 out of BCN and the later flight out of LHR to JFK.

OTOH if you are adventurous if you miss your JFK flight at LHR it´s usually not a big deal, as BA/AA have an abundance of flights between LHR and JFK every day. They´ll most likely just rebook you on a later service, which could be just an hour or two later.

I posted this on the Europe port of call board but just trying to get some additional advice. We will be disembarking the Symphony on 10/23/18. It is scheduled to arrive in port in Barcelona at 5am. We are considering two choices for flights back to NY:

You need much more time than 1) in LHR. It’s SLOOOOW. Especially going out of Shengen and to the US. I’m Danish. We are adviced not to switch flights in the US, but in Europe - just not LHR. I might even be a bit concerned about 2).

It’s the security lines I’m nervous about.

But wait a bit. More flights may turn up closer to Oct. Also the prices may be better.

LHR is a large airport with 5 terminals and hopefully your onward flight is from the same terminal.

There is a transit line which you go through if not collecting your luggage so it is faster.

Personally i would prefer the extra time in LHR in case of any hold ups.

Thanks everyone

Right now AA has only one choice nonstop JFK to BCN (5:30 pm to BCN/10 am returning to JFK) The times suck even if I combine the nonstop to BCN with one of the crappy later morning LHR layover returns.......r/t fare around $650

Both Delta and Air France have very good nonstops (8 pm to BCN/noon returning to JFK) great times........$906 r/t on either carrier

You are making me think twice (actually 10X) about the crappy AA choices. Should I bite the bullet with Delta? AF? wait a while?

Thanks.

Edited by martyap

Thanks everyone

Right now AA has only one choice nonstop JFK to BCN (5:30 pm to BCN/10 am returning to JFK) The times suck even if I combine the nonstop to BCN with one of the crappy later morning LHR layover returns.......r/t fare around $650

Both Delta and Air France have very good nonstops (8 pm to BCN/noon returning to JFK) great times........$906 r/t on either carrier

You are making me think twice (actually 10X) about the crappy AA choices. Should I bite the bullet with Delta? AF? wait a while?

Thanks.

Wait. The timeslots may not even be distributed as yet. And low price fares usually turn up closer to departure day. Like six months before

Thanks everyone

Thanks.

We’ve always found that the sooner you book the airfare, the less expensive it is. The non-stop journey is always a bonus

Thanks everyone

Thanks.

I know that's a bit of a distance, but would you consider flying out of Philly. We flew out of PHL rather than Newark as the fares were outrageous for both EWR & JFK. We booked an AA direct flight that departed at 6:55pm and left BCA at 1PM. It also saved us a ton of money ($728 vs $1,300) in both airfare & and parking. Parking was $12 per day. Also, there are quite a few hotel/motels that offer reasonable park, sleep & fly packages.

It worked so well for us that we are flying out of PHL to FLL for an Easter week cruise on Allure. Fare was $406 per.

We’ve always found that the sooner you book the airfare, the less expensive it is. The non-stop journey is always a bonus

That is probably what I am thinking. The times and hassle with the AA choices are not good. We are 30 minutes from JFK so going out of Philly would not make sense.

Guess we could wait a little before deciding.

Any preference between Delta and Air France

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know that's a bit of a distance, but would you consider flying out of Philly. We flew out of PHL rather than Newark as the fares were outrageous for both EWR & JFK. We booked an AA direct flight that departed at 6:55pm and left BCA at 1PM. It also saved us a ton of money ($728 vs $1,300) in both airfare & and parking. Parking was $12 per day. Also, there are quite a few hotel/motels that offer reasonable park, sleep & fly packages.

It worked so well for us that we are flying out of PHL to FLL for an Easter week cruise on Allure. Fare was $406 per.

The distance to PHL is probably not as much of a problem than the distance between Baracoa, Cuba and Barcelona.:rolleyes:

That is probably what I am thinking. The times and hassle with the AA choices are not good. We are 30 minutes from JFK so going out of Philly would not make sense.

Guess we could wait a little before deciding.

I did check Philly to BCN and r/t non stop prices were the same or a few $ more than JFK

Delta and Air France codeshare. You're "Delta" flight might be on Air France. I am a retired Delta Pilot so I'm terribly biased to Delta (of course). But I would pay the extra to avoid the change at LHR. LHR is huge and if you have to clear customs (don't know if you do or don't) and then go back through security, it could be time consuming. LHR security is pretty tight also. As to Air France or Delta, take the flight that best suits your schedule. We have friends who did Air France on a Delta ticket in July and were very happy with the flight.

Delta and Air France codeshare. You're "Delta" flight might be on Air France. I am a retired Delta Pilot so I'm terribly biased to Delta (of course). But I would pay the extra to avoid the change at LHR. LHR is huge and if you have to clear customs (don't know if you do or don't) and then go back through security, it could be time consuming. LHR security is pretty tight also. As to Air France or Delta, take the flight that best suits your schedule. We have friends who did Air France on a Delta ticket in July and were very happy with the flight.

I really appreciate your help!

There are three separate flights....all r/t non stop....all the exact same times.....each has their own flight numbers.....Delta/Air France/KLM.....all are $906 r/t pp

I have never used Air2Sea......when I plotted these dates using Delta the same flight came up with two options (?).....one showing $869; one showing $930........confusing!!!! Is there an advantage using Air2Sea?