HAL charter train Ancorage to Seward question

Straitlover

Putting this here instead of Alaska board since it's HAL-specific.

I looked into booking the HAL train that leaves ANC around 1 rather than taking the early morning regular train. If my research is correct, the seats are around a table (two forward, tow backward) rather than just forward facing seats. Is this correct? That may not work for us since most of us have motion sickness and can't ride backwards. Plus, I've heard those seats are not a comfortable.

Do they offer the Gold Star dome cars on the charter train like they do on the morning train? If so, are they available for booking if you are not on a HAL cruisetour? Price? I know the regular seats are $125, which is only $20 more than the morning train Adventure seating. We may splurge on Gold Star if I can save a little money elsewhere.

TIA!

Putting this here instead of Alaska board since it's HAL-specific.

I looked into booking the HAL train that leaves ANC around 1 rather than taking the early morning regular train. If my research is correct, the seats are around a table (two forward, tow backward) rather than just forward facing seats. Is this correct? That may not work for us since most of us have motion sickness and can't ride backwards. Plus, I've heard those seats are not a comfortable.

Do they offer the Gold Star dome cars on the charter train like they do on the morning train? If so, are they available for booking if you are not on a HAL cruisetour? Price? I know the regular seats are $125, which is only $20 more than the morning train Adventure seating. We may splurge on Gold Star if I can save a little money elsewhere.

TIA!

HAL train is usually for cruise tours only.

We were able to book it without a cruise tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have also booked it, twice in fact, without a cruise tour - although we did stay in the HAL sponsored hotel overnight before the trip south. Our other night stays in Alaska pre-cruise were booked on our own in Alaska.

We did the afternoon cruisetrain last year as part of a cruisetour. I would not do it again. The seats are at a table...facing each other which made the train quite noisy with people chatting. The train hosts both narrate and serve food and drink. They were very busy. You get to the ship with the big rush of people in late afternoon. We were held on the train in Seward while each car unloaded. We were in the last car.

Take the morning Gold Star service. You will get to Seward early enough to enjoy a beautiful port.

HAL train is usually for cruise tours only.

You can book it directly w/ HAL for $125. They pick up downtown and at the airport. The morning train booked w/ ARR is $108 Adventure, $212 Gold Star.

If my only option on the HAL charter is the tables, I think that's out. Guess we'll just have to get up really early and cab it to the train station!

You can book it directly w/ HAL for $125. They pick up downtown and at the airport. The morning train booked w/ ARR is $108 Adventure, $212 Gold Star.

If my only option on the HAL charter is the tables, I think that's out. Guess we'll just have to get up really early and cab it to the train station!

You won't regret taking the early train! But do book Gold Star service if you can. We did it in 2012 and have booked it again for our June cruise.

05%20-%20Inside%20Gold%20Star%20Car-S.jpg

Looking in from the open observation car:

08%20-%20View%20from%20Outside%20Observation%20Car-S.jpg

You won't regret taking the early train! But do book Gold Star service if you can. We did it in 2012 and have booked it again for our June cruise.

05%20-%20Inside%20Gold%20Star%20Car-S.jpg

Looking in from the open observation car:

08%20-%20View%20from%20Outside%20Observation%20Car-S.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I see you are doing Noordam SB June 2018. We are, too, June 10th. Will you be on that one?

We did HAL's train from Anchorage many years ago.

Never again.

We didn't like the tables of 4 and being stuffed in and not able to move. So we went to the Bar car. Yes we had a table but we were the only ones there and could move around. There were a couple of bench seats back then -- don't know if the Bar car still exists.

Also we left Anchorage at 1 and didn't get into Steward until nearly 7 and nearly missed life boat drill. We stopped at every cow path -- just kidding -- it was really every stop where roads crossed over. Freight trains had the right-away.