Island Princess versus Celebrity Silhouette

Juliayn

Past three years my family did a 10 day cruise on Royal Princess which we loved. Unfortunately no 10 days on either Royal or Regal being offered in December 2018. So we are debating between Island Princess through Panama Canal or Celebrity Silhouette Southern Caribbean. We have cruises RCCL and NCL in addition to Princess. Never been on Celebrity.

Would love feedback on above ships. Will Island Princess be adjustment from Royal? How is Celebrity compared to Princess? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Island Princess will have 1500 fewer passengers than Royal Princess. But no International Cafe, Alfredo's, Crown Grill, The Enclave, Vista Lounge (or any other aft second show lounge). Only two MDRs so longer waits for Anytime Dining, and a much smaller buffet area (though forward rather than aft so good views from the window tables). But that said the balconies are larger, there is a covered pool area--and the Panama Canal will be very worth your while after sailing similar itineraries on the same ship at the same time each year.

Many people consider Princess and Celebrity interchangeable. I have been on one Celebrity M-class ship (smaller than the S-class Silhouette, which is similar is size to Princess' original Grand-class ships) and found the experience vastly inferior to Princess in almost every aspect. Celebrity and its parent company Royal Caribbean are all about the loyalty perks: so much so that first time cruisers are excluded from such basic offerings as the backstage tour, cooking presentations/galley tour--and even afternoon tea. You are at least Ruby status on Princess so stick with what you know works for you.

Past three years my family did a 10 day cruise on Royal Princess which we loved. Unfortunately no 10 days on either Royal or Regal being offered in December 2018. So we are debating between Island Princess through Panama Canal or Celebrity Silhouette Southern Caribbean. We have cruises RCCL and NCL in addition to Princess. Never been on Celebrity.

Would love feedback on above ships. Will Island Princess be adjustment from Royal? How is Celebrity compared to Princess? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of posts comparing Celebrity and Princess. They cater to similar demographic. Princess is less expensive in things like specialty dining, gratuities, drink costs, etc while Celebrity has more variety in specialty dining, more class division in dining and lounges, less live music overall, better production shows in general (subjective), no pay adult only "Sanctuary" type area wirh pool, much better buffet than Island (more cooked to order items, etc)..

As far as comparing the two ship's themselves - no comparison, Silhouette is beautiful, and much more on par with what you've experienced on Royal Princess. Island is an older ship, has much smaller public spaces, had a major reno 2 years ago that added many more cabins, cutting lounges and public spaces in lieu of cabins, and it shows, you cab feel it. Island is the only Princess ship we'll no longer actively seek to sail - if any other ship, even on other lines (we sail RCI and Celebrity a lot too, and have MSC booked to check out later this year), we'll sail it before Island.

We really enjoy our Princess Cruises and really enjoy our Celebrity sailings.. Likely you'd find similar..

Having been on the Island many times and on the Solstice (sister to the Silhouette), I think the first thing you'll notice is the difference in size. The Silhouette will be more like what you were used to on the Royal. The Island IMO would be more of an adjustment for you. It's smaller, more intimate and you'll see many of the same passengers over and over again. The Silhouette is big, beautiful, very modern and more like the Royal in many ways (cabins, buffet, etc.).

I'd focus on the itinerary. If you've never done the Panama Canal, it's worth doing. If you want warmth, sun and beaches, go with the Southern Caribbean. If you book Celebrity, I believe they're having the 2 perks for free promotion. Get the drink package and the $150 OBC per person to maximize your benefits (if you'll use the drink package) before it goes away.

Depends on if the ship is more important to you or the itinerary. We have been on the Reflection (sister ship) twice and really love that class of ship. We have also been on the Coral which is the sister ship to the Island though the Island went through changes that the Coral has not that haven't been too well received. But if itinerary is more important (would be for me) and you haven't done the Panama Canal, then do the Panama Canal. If ship is more important, then I would do the Silhouette.

Enjoy the cruise, which ever you decide on!

We did the Panama Canal January 2015 and had a good time and enjoyed the Island, that was before dry-dock changes. We were on the Silhouette in September 2016 in Europe. It is a beautiful ship!

Agree with other posters that if you want to do the canal go with Princess, but if a beautiful ship is important you won't go wrong with Celebrity, book now for the perks!

As you can see from my signature we book Princess and Celebrity, they are similar, but different too!

Have you considered the sister ship to Island Princess, MS Coral Princess. Unlike the Island, during its last refit, Princess decided not to add the extra cabins. Because of this, the Coral Princess has more space/passenger ratio than most other cruise ships. It is one of the few ships that is powered by gas turbines, and because of this the engines rooms are smaller. It has been said that despite its smaller size, it has as much room as the Grand Princess.

The Coral Princess like the Island is a bit older and in areas, shows its age. It is a long and narrow ship to transit through the older locks of the Panama Canal.

One cannot compare it to the Solstice Class which are newer and much bigger. Different types of ships.

MS Coral Princess has been one of our favorite ships, the transit through the older locks of the Panama Canal is a must do for anyone. Would highly recommend this ship.