Drink Package Worth it?

SweetPease

We will never cruise without a drink package! Not only do you get alcoholic drinks but premium coffees and evian/Perrier, smoothies from aqua spa cafe. Can also order drinks that are out of the norm and toss em if we don’t like them. Total freedom.

we are with you normally cruise RCCL packages almost identical , also on Rock and romance cruise without added perks and even though we have suite perks have bought package

One thing I see missing that is in the RCCL packages (at least as the RCCL package was Nov 2016) is a % discount on bottles of wine - 15-20% IIRC, depending on package.

We took the Classic Package as a perk, and are doing the upgrade to the Premium, and we will see how it goes. We don't drink a huge amount of cocktails, but we are those snooty wine drinkers :), and the wines by the glass on the Premium are perfectly acceptable, but not high end by any means. I'm going to be interested to look at a wine list for the by the bottle wines and the prices, to see if we would have been better off to stick with the Classic as a perk, pay the difference and get a bottle for the special dinners.

As someone else said, we will try to do wines with courses as in a prix fixe wine pairing dinner since we have paid for the wines by the glass, and I'll be asking for Tanqueray in my gin and tonic, ;).

We had the classic beverage package as a perk , and it worked like a dream

A nice coffee from the bar at breakfast , a coffee at elevenses

A sparkling water ( I’m happy to drink club soda , not Perrier ) when I’m thirsty

Corona with lunch on deck

Frozen cocktail when sunbathing in the afternoon on a sea day

A glass of Sauvi B getting ready for dinner

Glass or 2 of wine with dinner

Glass of wine in the theatre

Espresso and cognac in the sunset bar as a night cap

This is a perfect example of getting value from a beverage package without going overboard. (pun intended)

The drinks package viability depends on the individual's consumption as well as other factors.

FACTOR 1 Are you Elite and enjoy the freebies at the happy hour?

FACTOR 2 Do you purchase expensive coffees, soda, juices, etc?

FACTOR 3 What do you spend on alcohol, when not on a drinks package?

FACTOR 4 If you select cruises that require bundling promos, or take cruises that simply have the flat (and lower) prices.

We have cruised on Celebrity 10 times and never on a cruise with the promos bundled into the bottom line price. Those prices are highly inflated and include promos that we just don't need.

We don't drink Starbucks overpriced coffee or for that matter the extra cost overpriced coffee onboard Celebrity. Lavanza coffee is free and pretty good. We drink the tap water onboard, not bottled water and don't drink sodas or hand squeezed orange juice.

Prior to becoming elite, we spend, on average no more than $4-500 total for two persons on alcohol for a two week cruise. After becoming elite, we now spend a little over $300, mainly from a 7 bottle wine package.

We certainly would not pay $65 X 2 = $130 per day x 14 days = $1820 for a two week cruise. Our last cruise on Eclipse (transatlantic) for a A veranda cost $2398 for our cabin. We spend a little over $300 on wine for the entire cruise. We spend nothing on bottle water, coffee or soda.

The drinks package viability depends on the individual's consumption as well as other factors.

FACTOR 1 Are you Elite and enjoy the freebies at the happy hour?

FACTOR 2 Do you purchase expensive coffees, soda, juices, etc?

FACTOR 3 What do you spend on alcohol, when not on a drinks package?

FACTOR 4 If you select cruises that require bundling promos, or take cruises that simply have the flat (and lower) prices.

We have cruised on Celebrity 10 times and never on a cruise with the promos bundled into the bottom line price. Those prices are highly inflated and include promos that we just don't need.

We don't drink Starbucks overpriced coffee or for that matter the extra cost overpriced coffee onboard Celebrity. Lavanza coffee is free and pretty good. We drink the tap water onboard, not bottled water and don't drink sodas or hand squeezed orange juice.

Prior to becoming elite, we spend, on average no more than $4-500 total for two persons on alcohol for a two week cruise. After becoming elite, we now spend a little over $300, mainly from a 7 bottle wine package.

We certainly would not pay $65 X 2 = $130 per day x 14 days = $1820 for a two week cruise. Our last cruise on Eclipse (transatlantic) for a A veranda cost $2398 for our cabin. We spend a little over $300 on wine for the entire cruise. We spend nothing on bottle water, coffee or soda.

Hmm, question, what venues serve free Lavazza? Is it brewed as an "Americano" style coffee?

Also, how does the wine bottle package work, are you allowed to cork any leftover wine and bring the bottle back to your stateroom or is it corked and held for you in the dining room by the wine staff or do you lose any unfinished wine?

One thing I see missing that is in the RCCL packages (at least as the RCCL package was Nov 2016) is a % discount on bottles of wine - 15-20% IIRC, depending on c, ;).

Yes rccl has only one drink package now , and offers 40 percent off wine bottles under 100 and. 20 percent above, but we always just order wine by the glass, hopefully celebrity will have a better selection than rccl

Hmm, question, what venues serve free Lavazza? Is it brewed as an "Americano" style coffee?

Also, how does the wine bottle package work, are you allowed to cork any leftover wine and bring the bottle back to your stateroom or is it corked and held for you in the dining room by the wine staff or do you lose any unfinished wine?

Lavazza is what they have in Oceanview, and I presume anywhere else onboard that is serving "free" coffee. It isn't bad.

If you purchase a bottle of wine in any dining venue, then you can save the leftover for another night. If you buy it in Tuscan Grille, for example, you can have leftover sent to main dining room and held under your stateroom. They are pretty good about this. In fact, a couple of times when they couldn't locate my bottle, they opened a new one.

I had my first experience with Classic Package on a just completed cruise, and will say it was nice as a perq, but I'd never buy it. Best part of the deal was unlimited (basic) bottled water. We probably used 4-6 bottles a day. What I did not like is that in Captain's Club happy hour, the bar staff really, really didn't want to serve you package drinks (they're supposed to).

The other negative we had was in Cellar Masters of all places. We ordered a specific wine off their menu that was package price, and was served the cheap bottle of the same varietal. This happened a couple of times until I called them out on it, and their attitude was "You ask for chardonnay. We gave you chardonnay. What's the difference?". This .. in Cellar Masters!

You need to consider going to X's website and look up the various beverage packages and see if what you like is included at the lowest level.

If not, then the premium package is what you may want/desire.

bon voyage

When I look on the Celebrity website this is all I see for the Standard package, no itemized list like the Classic & Premium packages? Any idea where to find? Assume you can upgrade for the difference in the costs of the 3 packages?

Tx

Standard Package

$45 USD/per night*

Enjoy all the spirits listed in the Standard Package.

Well spirit brands

A selection of wines by varietal (i.e. Chardonnay, Merlot, etc.)

Bottled water

You need to consider going to X's website and look up the various beverage packages and see if what you like is included at the lowest level.

If not, then the premium package is what you may want/desire.

bon voyage

When I look on the Celebrity website this is all I see for the standard package, no itemized list like the Classic & Premium packages? Any idea where to find?

Tx

Standard Package

$45 USD/per night*

Well spirit brands

Bottled water

Drinking more coffee or alcohol than you need just to use up the value of your package makes no sense at all. Everybody has different consumption levels and should be able to judge whether the package is worthwhile for their individual requirements..

This!

Many people's consumption patterns will justify a package. That's fine. Go for it.

For many others (I'm speculating, no, I don't have actual statistics to back this up) they will order more than they would otherwise, just to "use up" the value of their package. For these people, it would be cheaper to pay-as-you-go. I suspect this applies to a sizable majority of those who purchase drink packages.

The cruise lines understand this behavior perfectly. They are masters at mass-marketing practices and large group behavior patterns.

That's why they push the packages. It's really just a subtle (or not-so-subtle) way of "upselling" beverages.

:cool:

Went on celebrity Eclipse transatlantic repositioning last year from uk and on arrival was met with drinks packages half price, I already had one in place so was not interested but a lot were sold I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went on celebrity Eclipse transatlantic repositioning last year from uk and on arrival was met with drinks packages half price, I already had one in place so was not interested but a lot were sold I think.

Kind of hoping to see this on our repo in April. We’ve always gotten our pkg through Go Big, Better, Best, but those aren’t offered on repo cruises. It stings to pay full price!

Lavazza is in the buffet. That is the only time we drink coffee.

If you don't drink the full bottle, they will hold if for your at the MDR.

The other negative we had was in Cellar Masters of all places. We ordered a specific wine off their menu that was package price, and was served the cheap bottle of the same varietal. This happened a couple of times until I called them out on it, and their attitude was "You ask for chardonnay. We gave you chardonnay. What's the difference?". This .. in Cellar Masters!

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Public persona, our last cruise, Post thanksgiving 2016, was on RCCL. We had a number of service issues in the MDR, but our wine steward finally confided to us that he was Indonesian (possibly Muslim, we didn’t pry),and up until the week before had never opened or poured a bottle of wine. Not from a wine culture he said?! We understood, but we didn’t ask him for recommendations, LOL. Just because the person is working in the wine bar...

When I look on the Celebrity website this is all I see for the Standard package, no itemized list like the Classic & Premium packages? Any idea where to find? Assume you can upgrade for the difference in the costs of the 3 packages?

Tx

Standard Package

$45 USD/per night*

Well spirit brands

Bottled water

p - here you go.... click on "Learn More" for further info on each.

bon voyage

We will never cruise without a drink package! Not only do you get alcoholic drinks but premium coffees and evian/Perrier, smoothies from aqua spa cafe. Can also order drinks that are out of the norm and toss em if we don’t like them. Total freedom.

100% agree with this. I think many people don’t realize all of the options available with a premium drink package — it’s not just alcohol. Smoothies at the spa cafe, nice coffees and iced tea at Cafe al Bacio, Evian from any bar, Perrier, soft drinks. If you do drink alchohol, you get premium brands in any drink you order. Grey Goose martini? No problem. Knob Creek in your old fashioned? Done. Oh, you didn’t like that and would like to try something else? No worries, what can I get you? We will never cruise without a drink package!

p - here you go.... click on "Learn More" for further info on each.

bon voyage

Thanks, but this is the same place I looked before and there are no drink details listed under Standard package when I click " learn more". I can see Classic & Premium just fine.

Thanks, but this is the same place I looked before and there are no drink details listed under Standard package when I click " learn more". I can see Classic & Premium just fine.

It does state that the Standard Package consist of 'well spirit brands' of alcohol, which usually consist of non familiar names of alcohol, which are cheaper than known names and for those who have preferences, do not taste as good.

As such, there will be no real listing of the 'brands' for well spirits. If it is economics one is concerned about, then it is nothing to worry about on the standard package, if it is preferred brands of liquor, then consider the known brands listed at the beverage level preferred.

Since we always have the classic package included, the $12/day upgrade is a no brainer, were the package not included, for us the premium package would still be purchased as we like and usually drink the brands served as a matter of course.

There are others who would disagree with our approach and I appreciate this, as often times alcohol or other premium beverages afforded under the various packages are not of value to them.

If one is not or a light drinker, I can agree with no value. Also, the convenience is a benefit for us too.

bon voyage

100% agree with this. I think many people don’t realize all of the options available with a premium drink package — it’s not just alcohol. Smoothies at the spa cafe, nice coffees and iced tea at Cafe al Bacio, Evian from any bar, Perrier, soft drinks. If you do drink alchohol, you get premium brands in any drink you order. Grey Goose martini? No problem. Knob Creek in your old fashioned? Done. Oh, you didn’t like that and would like to try something else? No worries, what can I get you? We will never cruise without a drink package!

Love the way you think! However, the bartenders at least from my previous experience would not use top shelf unless requested. My wife’s pina coladas got considerably better once she pointed this out to me. And I’m the one that does all of the CC research...

Our experience is that all bartenders default to the well brands unless you specifically say you want the call/Premium brands. So you have to speak up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same, they don't use top shelf unless you ask. The well liquor isn't that bad on Celebrity though but if you are paying for the premium package you might as well get the premium booze.

We always go with premium, I have expensive taste and a particular palate. I like martinis, red wine ( I’m very particular with my reds), and top shelf Canadian whiskey, sparkling water at every meal, and the specialty coffees. We’ve never regretted it. Enjoy your cruise.

It does state that the Standard Package consist of 'well spirit brands' of alcohol, which usually consist of non familiar names of alcohol, which are cheaper than known names and for those who have preferences, do not taste as good.

As such, there will be no real listing of the 'brands' for well spirits. If it is economics one is concerned about, then it is nothing to worry about on the standard package, if it is preferred brands of liquor, then consider the known brands listed at the beverage level preferred.

Since we always have the classic package included, the $12/day upgrade is a no brainer, were the package not included, for us the premium package would still be purchased as we like and usually drink the brands served as a matter of course.

There are others who would disagree with our approach and I appreciate this, as often times alcohol or other premium beverages afforded under the various packages are not of value to them.

If one is not or a light drinker, I can agree with no value. Also, the convenience is a benefit for us too.

bon voyage

Ok the feedback appreciate. - it makes no sense to me not to show the Standard package the same as the other two, what's the secret? How do you determine whether to move up a tier unless you know what you are getting? If nothing else, what are the beers? We have found that many times cruise "well brands" are what we would considered name brands in the US and are quite satisfactory if using mixers.

If a list of what is on the Standard drink package is out there, it would be great to see.

Thank you - BZ

Ok the feedback appreciate. - it makes no sense to me not to show the Standard package the same as the other two, what's the secret? How do you determine whether to move up a tier unless you know what you are getting? If nothing else, what are the beers? We have found that many times cruise "well brands" are what we would considered name brands in the US and are quite satisfactory if using mixers.

If a list of what is on the Standard drink package is out there, it would be great to see.

Thank you - BZ

p - Okay, I have a better understanding of your process. I would just say that I have never known anyone to have the 'Standard Package' only Classic and Premium.

If the Standard Package is on your sailing, please let us know what is found out once aboard. I will do a dummy booking to find out if in fact the Standard Package can be purchased.

As for what well brands are included, that would be dependent on what is available at sailing time, as for the other packages, more often than not the brands listed will be available somewhere on the ship, if not at each bar. Restaurants, different story, sometimes they have them sometimes they do not.

I Am sure some of the Well brands I would know also, but would still not go near them, just my palate and desire for no headaches in the morning... :cool:

I Am sure someone who reads this and on the standard package at sea now will chime in with the names or brands being served.

bon voyage