Cayman Islands - Stingray vs Turtles

Cruisin' Larry

I would do the stingrays. Sorry - I don't remember how deep it was.

We did the turtle farm on another trip and it sort of grossed me out. It was like a million turtles were in each tank - they just seemed too crowded and I really felt sorry for them. I really have no desire to go back to this. I wish I could have freed all the turtles.

Definitely the Sting Rays. He can get a life vest. The first time we went to the sting rays, we did not book through the cruise line, but booked when we got to the dock. (its much cheaper, expecially for a family of 4) When we arranged for it, I asked, "Does this include admission to Sting Ray City?" What i didn't know at the time was that what this excursion does is take you by boat out into the ocean where you stop at a sandbar and jump out. Obviously, there's no admission to the ocean. They must have thought I was nuts.

Another vote for the stingrays here. If you do a land tour don't book thru the ship. I've taken a couple of shoreside tours and the farther you get from the tender pier the lower the price. I paid $10 a couple of times and probably could have gotten lower if I tried.

Doug

Stingrays with Captain Marvin http://www.captainmarvins.com/ ;)

Captain Marvin's, established in 1951, is one of the original operators of snorkel trips to the Stingray City sandbar in the clear, warm waters of the famous North Sound. "Cruise passengers are welcome on any of our trips that fit with their ship's time in port."

Hi Larry, DH and I did both on our stop at Grand Cayman. We did a land tour, stop in Hell, the turtle farm and swam with the stingrays (definitely not too deep). It was through Nativeway Sports. Sorry I can't recall the website, but the owner (and tourguide) was a pleasant young man, named Clint.

The turtle farm is nothing special and a very quick stop. It took us longer to get through the gift shop than the farm itself. Hell was quick also. Where else can you get a postcard of "I've been to Hell and back"?

Have a great time whatever you decide.

You do realize the main purpose of the turtle farm is consumption, not environmental????

I go out with Cpt. Marvin all the time, and for the most part I would recommend their 2 hour excursion that just includes the Sting Ray city sandbar and a snorkle stop at Coral Gardens. This is about the same price as the ship tour and a LOT less crowded.

But evaluate your child. I took 2, 8 year olds years ago (out of 4 kids) 1 loved it the other couldn't tolerate it and returned to the boat- no problem. A month ago there was a family who booked the 1/2 day tour and wouldn't "split up", the kid freaked out at Coral Gardens, they spent the rest of the time, calming him down for the sandbar which he did enjoy, BUT they paid for the reef which both completely missed and shouldn't have booked.

The sandbar, will be about 3++++ feet with swells, wear a vest if needed. An analogy to consider is to tell the child the rays are like "sea cats", they may come up and rub against, you. I have told that to my kid group and any kids that are hesistant on the boat tour. Preparation is the key for some kids. :) Be sure to bring a waterproof camera, less than $10 at Walmart.

We just returned from a two week cruise on the Veendam (Holland America). We did the coral garden and sting ray city with Captain Marvin. Captain Marvin does absolutely a first class job from A-Z.

They don't overcrowd their boats and they make sure that everyone gets a chance to hold one of the sting rays and get their picture taken kissing the ray. They do have an underwater videographer with each trip and you can purchase either a DVD or a video cassette of the experience for $65.

The water is shallow at the sting ray site. I am just over six feet tall and the water varied from knee deep to chest deep with most areas being about waist deep for me. We had a handful of kids on the excursion and with snorkel equipment on it presented no problem for them.

The War Dpartment (aka Snorkel Woman; aka Mrs. B.) and I both are ardent snorkel and dive folks so we have all of our own equipment. I highly recommend that you consider buying your own basic snorkel outfit (snorkel, fins & mask). Yes, they all provide equipment on these excursions but having your own equipment will greatly enhance this experience.

There are several reasons for this. First, you can make sure that each piece of equipment fits properly. This is especially important for the mask. Second, the equipment that you buy will probably be better than the rental equipment furnished. There's nothing wrong with the rental equipment but there is much better stuff available without breaking the bank. Lastly, you can get used to your equipment in a swimming pool at home before going on the cruise. Believe me this IS a big help.

If interested in getting your own equipment there is a dedicated SCUBA and Snorkeling board here on Cruise Critics. I have posted several messages about snorkel equipment there. I would suggest that if interested you can read one of the threads on that board about buying your own equipment.

Hope this is helpful furthermore I will be happy any equipment related questions you might have. Everyone stay warm and safe out there and have a great day.

There is a shore excursion that allows you to do both, if you wish. However, I would highly recommend the excursion on the sailing catamaran to the stingrays. Your 8 year old will likely enjoy the ride, you get to sit on trampoline like areas on the front, just above the water line, if you wish.

Be advised that the depth of the water does vary with the tide, we were there at high tide and it was nearly 5 ft deep. With life vests they provide, an 8 y/o used to swimming and supervised will still be fine (our children were not much older), but if he is not used to the water it might scare him. The stingrays are very tame, but possibly intimidating looking too, so it depends on his personality. Our kids had a great time!!

If you are concerned, the turtles are an easy choice...but nothing is quite an unique and spectacular, imo, as the rays.

I was on the Star recently (11/27) and loved Stringray City! It sounds like the turtles are in tanks, whereas the 'Rays are truly wild animals that have trained themselves to be friendly to humans and they enjoy being petted, touched and fed by humans. It was an amazing experience! Stingray City is basically a sandbar about half a mile or a mile offshore and the water is waist deep, about 3 to 4 feet.

A few years ago we took Captain Marvin's stingray city tour - loved it. When they returned us to the office we asked if they could drive us out to the Turtle Farm, they did but did say they wish we would have asked while we out as the boat dock is very close to the turtle farm. So for $2.00 per person they drove us back out there. There is (was) a Tortuga Rum Cake store across the street from the Turtle Farm so we got our cakes there then caught a local bus back to Georgetown. The Turtle Farm isn't a warm and fuzzy place, but it was interesting and we were glad we went - doesn't warrant a second trip but once was good. Enjoy. Oh, and ditto the underwater camera - it is a wonderful experience.

Guest AdmiralNelson
You do realize the main purpose of the turtle farm is consumption, not environmental????

Actually, 25% of the turtles are used for consumption, the rest are set free. Without their help the turtle population in this part of the world (and maybe further afield) would be a lot less.

As for the tours, Stingrays absolutley. I have made that tour many, many times as a crew member I got to go back there time and time again. Children of 8 and above are allowed to go in the water so you will be OK.

Guest AdmiralNelson

Actually, 25% of the turtles are used for consumption, the rest are set free. Without their help the turtle population in this part of the world (and maybe further afield) would be a lot less. This is explained if you have the guided tour in the farm.

As for the tours, Stingrays absolutely. I have made that tour many, many times as a crew member I got to go back there time and time again. Children of 8 and above are allowed to go in the water so you will be OK.

There is a sandbar stingray excursion. depending on what time of year you go the water is only not even waist high for us in February--

then there is another excursion that goes to deeper waters. Maybe the city?? check before you book. I am sure that Capt marvins does both.

for young kids you want the sandbar excursion

The hint about the underwater camera is the key - give each kid a camera and they should get some great shots. The rays are like big kittens and if you are feeding them they will crowd around you. Lots of fun watching people with four or five around them. No flippers allowed - water level will vary but shouldn't be more than around 3' deep and everyone has to wear a floatation vest.

Hey Larry, We have vacationed twice in the Caymans and went with Capt. Marvin's each time. I give Capt. Marvin's and Sting Ray City a 5 Conch rating. You and the kids will enjoy this for a long time to come. The water is fine and not deep at all. The salt content in the water makes it hard to go under and take pictures, but don't forget to take a disposable underwater camera. The kids can always stick their heads under water and snap some of the Sting Rays as they swim around you.

It's always best to have your own Scuba gear but if this is the only time on the trip you use it, heck...Use Capt. Marvin's stuff and save some money. If you decide to buy your own, go to Walmart and get some pretty decent stuff cheaply. I bought mine there and have used it for many snorkel trips and have even dived the Cayman Wall with it.

You have already been provided the link for Capt. Marvin's website. So go for it. I suggest the half day trip as the full day gets back pretty late and might make you rush for the ship. I have seen this happen where they had to have another boat come out and get the party. Capt. Marvin's personalizes the trip and keeps it down to less than 20 or 30 people at the most. Other boats like the Catamarans look like "Cattle Boats" with lots more people on them. The last time we went, there was only 10 others with us...Really nice.

If you want to visit the Turtle Farm...Check out the Web Cams here at this link...http://www.turtle.ky/video.htm

It's a nice place to visit but it will only hold your interest for about 5 minutes, then it's back to the Gift Shop. I didn't like seeing all the turtles in the tanks of water. I am sure it was a good thing, but I didn't really enjoy it that much.

Have a great time. You'll like it.

My family (including an 8 yr old boy) will be cruising in March with a stop in the Cayman Islands. Would you recommend the stingrays or the turtle farm... or both? Is the water too deep with the stingrays for an 8 yr old?

Having been to both, I have to vote for the stingrays. As for the depth of the water.....it depends on where your boat parks. It could be waist or chest deep (for an adult). If your child is wearing a vest, it should be fine, and perfectly safe.

Archived