Passport Renewal

sleepless

Hoping the government shutdown doesn’t slow the passport process too much! Ugh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The shutdown should have negligible effect on passport processing, as passport agencies are largely self-funded through fees.

In fact, we got our son’s passport during a previous government shutdown and the turn around time for a new passport was under 3 weeks.

In fact, you may find that application volume is down because people are concerned about the shutdown, which actually means that service may be faster than usual!

Hoping the government shutdown doesn’t slow the passport process too much! Ugh!

Prior to posting, why not just look at the Department of State website which states "At thistime, scheduled passport and visa services in the United States and at ourposts overseas will continue during the lapse in appropriations as thesituation permits. "

Passport processing is likely to be suspended until the government is back in service. If you are taking a Caribbean cruise don't send passport applications in until the government is running, unless you have duplicate birth certificates. If you are renewing you should be OK as long as you have your BC available.

If you are traveling on other than a closed loop cruise you need to hope that things resolve quickly or you may be stuck at home.

Prior to posting, why not just look at the Department of State website which states "At thistime, scheduled passport and visa services in the United States and at ourposts overseas will continue during the lapse in appropriations as thesituation permits. "

Notice the phrase "as the situation permits"

With the current leadership in Washington you can be sure that the situation is not going to permit.

Passport services provided within the US are currently suspended due to the shutdown.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is your source for this? As posted earlier, the US Dept of State website already posted that passport processing in the US and abroad is still continuing until further notice.

What is your source for this? As posted earlier, the US Dept of State website already posted that passport processing in the US and abroad is still continuing until further notice.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/politics/what-next-government-shutdown/index.htm

If you’re not a fan of CNN, it’s also being reported by Fox, CNBC, and USA Today. All nonessential personnel are furloughed and that includes admin staff handling passport renewals, same as the last shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Prior to posting I watched the local news that said passports and visas may take longer to process. Snarky much?

Passport processing is likely to be suspended until the government is back in service. If you are taking a Caribbean cruise don't send passport applications in until the government is running, unless you have duplicate birth certificates. If you are renewing you should be OK as long as you have your BC available.

If you are traveling on other than a closed loop cruise you need to hope that things resolve quickly or you may be stuck at home.

My renewal is/was slated to arrive on 1/27 per the government site, it will be interesting to see if it does. I will update when it arrives.

My renewal is/was slated to arrive on 1/27 per the government site, it will be interesting to see if it does. I will update when it arrives.

Keep us updated. When did you send your renewal in? DH and I sent ours in right after the first of the year. According to the website we are both "processing" but no dates are given. They cashed our checks, but don't know if that is a good or bad omen! Our cruise is at the end of March so we still have some time.

Keep us updated. When did you send your renewal in? DH and I sent ours in right after the first of the year. According to the website we are both "processing" but no dates are given. They cashed our checks, but don't know if that is a good or bad omen! Our cruise is at the end of March so we still have some time.

I sent our renewals Jan 3 and we got them yesterday.

I think I sent it in the first week of January. My check was cashed right away. I’ve been checking the status and it has said processing until Friday when it said it was in the final processing stages and I should receive it about Jan 27. Our cruise is in April, so I’m not worried about time (yet anyways).

I sent our renewals Jan 3 and we got them yesterday.

Thanks for the info Tammy531, your signature line lists you as from PA so am I correct that your renewal went through the Philadelphia processing center?

Talex831, did you also send yours to Philadelphia?

I am in CA, so ours went to the Texas processing center. They must be taking a little longer.

Thanks for the info Tammy531, your signature line lists you as from PA so am I correct that your renewal went through the Philadelphia processing center?

Talex831, did you also send yours to Philadelphia?

I am in CA, so ours went to the Texas processing center. They must be taking a little longer.

Yes, I mailed mine to Philadelphia.

We sent our sons off Jan 8, 2018 and paid the expedited service fee. We received his passport this Saturday the 20th. My other son sent his off Wednesday 17th (expedited service also) and it has still not shown up as received. We’ve got our fingers crossed they still process passports with the government shutdown going on 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

I’ll be up for renewal soon. If you print the form, send in a new photo and the check.... do you still have to go to the post office?

Adults just mail in. No trip to the post office.

For minors (younger than 16), they/you have to go in. Well, we went to a library in the nearby big city.

Ditto. We got our forms from the post office also. The clerk was very helpful as to what the procedure was. No muss no fuss.

Our post office was not so helpful. They would not even talk to us with out an appointment. And the only way we could set up an appointment was to go online. So if you did not have a computer, you were out of luck.