Formal nights on Alaska cruises?

LadyLeo84

Just wondering if Princess has formal nights on their 7 day Alaska cruises? We will already be taking a lot of heavy clothing for the cold weather, so didn't really want to pack formal clothes that would take up extra space in the suit cases if it's something that Princess doesn't do on that itinerary.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Just wondering if Princess has formal nights on their 7 day Alaska cruises? We will already be taking a lot of heavy clothing for the cold weather, so didn't really want to pack formal clothes that would take up extra space in the suit cases if it's something that Princess doesn't do on that itinerary.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

The formal nights are not that formal in Alaska. A nice pair of slacks and shirt are fine for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seeing you are from AZ( I am from So. CA) here is a tip too....wear a coat and sweater & carry a coat.....wear your heaviest boots...put gloves and scarves in coat pockets.... I have one midi down coat that has inside zipper pockets I probably stuff 6 pounds of clothes in those...when traveling to cold climates.

Traveling to Alaska this May, planning to bring limited formal wear.

You might be surprised how un-formal the formal nights have become.

Take along a pair of blacks slacks & a fancy top & you'll be fine to go.

and also how so many captains parties are no longer formal.....one big reason we brought formal wear.....so no longer view it as a must have.

Edited by land lover

Anyone know what the formal nights are on the southbound Whittier to Vancouver on Coral?

We did the Southbound this past September, on the Coral, with a Saturday departure from Whittier. The first formal night was Sunday. The second formal night was Wednesday. There is a link in our signature that has pictures & patters for the trip that may be helpful, although that was last season and the new one starts up in May.

We were in Alaska May of last year. While viewing the Hubbard Glacier on the deck we were very warm, didn't need a jacket. You won't need your winter parka, just layers. Just make sure you have a waterproof jacket to be safe and you should be okay. Most of the time we were off the ship we left our jackets in our cabin. In Skagway if you do the train, yes take a jacket it will be cold/cold at the top. We've done Alaska 3 times in May and it has never been too cold.

Have a great trip.

We were in Alaska May of last year. While viewing the Hubbard Glacier on the deck we were very warm, didn't need a jacket. You won't need your winter parka, just layers. Just make sure you have a waterproof jacket to be safe and you should be okay. Most of the time we were off the ship we left our jackets in our cabin. In Skagway if you do the train, yes take a jacket it will be cold/cold at the top. We've done Alaska 3 times in May and it has never been too cold.

Have a great trip.

I have done Alaska several times in May also (more than 3). On my last trip, the high was in the low 40's for most of the trip (end of May). A jacket was definitely needed on glacier days if you were on deck for long periods of time (which I am) along with ear protection and gloves. Granted, I am not one that stays in my balcony and goes out for 10 minutes at the peak glacier time. Weather varies greatly in Alaska. You can have anything from 40's to even high 70's in May. I remember one year I was hot and wore shorts in May. I don't remember if it hit 80 or not that year.

I didn't bring a heavy jacket, just the interior fleece jacket of a Columbia Triple interface jacket and wore layers.

Layering is the commandment of the day in AK. We did the Seattle AK cruise the end of July '17. In a word it was warm and did not rain. We went to Glacier Bay where pax were on the top deck to see the glacier calve wearing shorts and tshirt! We are from the US southwest so I did have on jeans and a tshirt as it was not that warm. The moral is to take along layers so that you can dress for cold and for warm sometimes in the same day. As for "formal night", it was very informal with button shirt with collar and a pair of dockers. The citizens of AK do not dress up but rather informal rugged clothing.

We have been in September where it was cold and rainy. We have been on a May/June cruise where it again was cold and rainy. I flew once to Anchorage the first of July 2004. I left home where the day's high was to be near 100 (normal temperature) and landed in Anchorage at 8:30 at night (still daylight) where it was 93F! For that first week the high was over 90 every day. Layers is the rule.