South America few questions

HomelessBear

Have friends who are going on their first ever cruise soon on the Emerald to South America and would appreciate feedback on the following questions:

* What currency will be needed in ports? Will $US do for all ports or will local currency be needed? If so, will they need different currency?

* Are visas required (they are coming from the UK)?

* Are any specific vaccinations required?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Edited by HomelessBear

We did not need a visa when visiting from the UK. I did the South America trip several years ago and took local currency for Argentina and Chile.

I’m sure I didn’t need any extra vaccinations over and above what I already had.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

Edited by h3rjp

In Feb. 2019 the Star Princess will be leaving from the San Antonio, Chile pier.

Does Princess cruise line offer a transfer from Santiago hotels to the ship or is it just offered from the airport?

I'm going on the Emerald, too, Buenos Aires to LA leaving in February and I'm leaning towards not getting currency. I will be in BA for 2 nights before the cruise, so I might change my mind and use my debit card for some local cash.

I have my transport from the airport to hotel arranged. I'm doing a walking tour plus other tours, which are through Viator and also paid. If I go out to eat, I always use my charge card overseas.

I'm not getting any vaccinations as everything I've read leans towards not needing it. If you are touring inland, away from cities maybe it might be necessary.

went Jan. 2017...never converted currency even for independent tours most were prepaid in USD. Took USD, £ & Euro. Falkland Islands have their own £, but will except British £, with discount payment for some independent tours, just ask. So busy with excursions hardly had any time to shop or eat on shore. But never had a problem with cash or credit cards I took.

No Vacs.

We have had no problem using crispy clean US dollars in Peru, Chile, or Argentina. Plus we have a Capital One VISA with no foreign transaction fees--so use it as much as possible. Take a variety of bills but make sure they look new.

In Feb. 2019 the Star Princess will be leaving from the San Antonio, Chile pier.

Does Princess cruise line offer a transfer from Santiago hotels to the ship or is it just offered from the airport?

If Princess has a pre-cruise hotel package, it will have transportation from that hotel to the ship. You would have to contact Princess to see if you could purchase transportation from that hotel without having the hotel package from Princess.

We did Rio to Valparaiso (Santiago) last year. We used a private tour company, Hectours, for a tour of Valparaiso and transportation to Santiago. Hectours also provided a tour of Santiago and transportation to the airport the next day. We had a great experience. We really enjoyed Valparaiso. If we repeat the cruise, we'll stay there instead of Santiago.

Hope you get to stop in the Falklands. We were not able to (it's a long story) so we were glad we booked a "backup" penguin tour in Punta Arenas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Rio to Valparaiso (Santiago) last year. We used a private tour company, Hectours, for a tour of Valparaiso and transportation to Santiago. Hectours also provided a tour of Santiago and transportation to the airport the next day. We had a great experience. We really enjoyed Valparaiso. If we repeat the cruise, we'll stay there instead of Santiago.

Hope you get to stop in the Falklands. We were not able to (it's a long story) so we were glad we booked a "backup" penguin tour in Punta Arenas.

Yours must have been the cruise before us....had friends on it, as well as the 2 most cruised who did a B2B so heard what occurred.Thus making us most thankful for making all our ports without incident.However, weather could have been improved but I am not complaining. Wonderful experience of gng around the horn.

We booked all tours involving penguins.....and made 2 out of three...Did you book your Punta Arenas with the ship?

We booked independent with a group off CCer's it was cancelled do to weather(wind kicked up) but not before a time change was made to 11a.m.......Since it was a tender port I would recommend to anyone booking to go with the ship and early as those excursions did make it to view penguins.

We booked the Punta Arenas penguins with Princess prior to the cruise. It sold out prior to the cruise. It was an uncomfortable 4 hr boat ride (2hrs each way) but worth it.

While we we gone the wind kicked and limited tender activity. Our friends were not able to get off the ship for a while. I second your recommendation.