Having your docs in hand

rccampbell

I believe that Carnival will accept a copy of a birth certificate. I don't know if NCL will, but if they do, then it seems like it may have been possible for the couple to have someone they know scan and email a copy of their birth certificates.

For cruise lines that do accept a copy, it would be a nice convenience for a person to be able to upload a copy while doing their online check in to be used in case of an urgent need. I scanned my passport and birth certificate and saved the copies to my phone, just in case I ever need them.

I do not assume anything, I just wonder, and we can hope that the ship had been notified of the situation. We will never know for sure I am guessing.

NCL stepped up to the plate and that is all that matters except to remind us all......Please keep your documents on your person until you are on the ship and can lock them in the safe.

Actually, you're assuming the retelling of the story by the passenger is accurate. I find many times that when I tell someone "I will TRY to do this or that" they hear "I WILL do this or that". Huge difference for such a small word.

NCL didn't just step up, they went way overboard with what they did. I wouldn't be surprised if every other person who misses their cruise for some reason now goes running off to the media so they can cash in on their mistakes.

To be honest (I am spending WAY to much time on this thread), there are so many holes in this story, other than "he said/they said. It could be laughable. BUT I guess the couple got the last laugh, when they got their money and a FREE cruise and pulled one over on all of us.

To be honest (I am spending WAY to much time on this thread), there are so many holes in this story, other than "he said/they said. It could be laughable. BUT I guess the couple got the last laugh, when they got their money and a FREE cruise and pulled one over on all of us.

I would say that is something we can all agree on.

And NCL’s future passengers will be paying for all the future claims that will arise because of the success of this one

I agree that NCL screwed up by telling them they would find their luggage and retrieve their passports (then again we are only hearing one side of the story so is that what was actually said or what the passengers think they heard). Personally, I don't believe NCL owned them anything. Actually, I don't think the passengers thought they were owed anything. I just don't understand why passengers run off to find a news crew when they admitted they made the mistake. It's not like there are reporters sitting in passenger terminals waiting for the next juicy story. The fact that they had to have sought out a news agency is what really gets my goat.

They probably went to a lawyer first who suggested that they contact the media, since they didn't have a legal claim. This after they wrote to corporate, who could have made the whole thing go away by pro-offering a future cruise credit for what the couples lost but decided to stonewall the issue. Do we know for sure that the CSR assured them that the luggage would be found? Not at all. But when dealing with customers a business need to look at things through their customer's eyes.

They probably went to a lawyer first who suggested that they contact the media, since they didn't have a legal claim. This after they wrote to corporate, who could have made the whole thing go away by pro-offering a future cruise credit for what the couples lost but decided to stonewall the issue. Do we know for sure that the CSR assured them that the luggage would be found? Not at all. But when dealing with customers a business need to look at things through their customer's eyes.

I'm sorry but the customer is not always right. As you stated, they probably called NCL, NCL correctly stated the policy (which is not stonewalling), then they went to lawyer who probably told them to skew the facts for the emotional support (like most lawyers do). And especially after what this couple did (going to the media when they didn't get their way and possibly to a lawyer as well), if I was the head of NCL I would have told them to go pound rocks. Sorry, but someone who does something like that is the absolute LAST person on earth I would ever help. I'd probably go find another couple who had the same situation happen to them but didn't run off to the media and give them a refund and let the first couple know just to spite them.

I'm not sure why the hell some of the curmudgeons on here object to the cruise lines doing a little extra to improve the experience of as many customers as possible.

I picture some of you getting dropped off for your next cruise and getting all bent at the sight of a few new signs reminding pax to have their documents with them for check in. Or smashing your keyboard the night before because you were inconvenienced by a final cruise checklist email notification.

Is it that difficult to have to endure a mistake-free existence?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My husband is only 50, but wears rose colored glasses on his ears. He hears what he wants to hear, and his 91 year old dad is the same (although can get confused).

This is a typical problem when it comes to customer service. You say "We will try x" and the customer hears "That person will magically solve my problem" and yes, often that is what happens but sometimes, there is just nothing that can be done no matter how hard everybody tries.

“They said, ‘Go sit down and wait. The ship doesn’t sail for three hours. It shouldn’t be a problem.’ ”

They said shouldn't. And I am sure they really thought it shouldn't be a problem. But the Star holds close to 2500 pax, one piece of luggage per person plus the odd piece of hand luggage we are talking what? 3000? 4000? 5000? pieces of luggage to go through. In 3 hours (180 minutes). That leaves between 2 and 4 seconds per piece of luggage. Luggage that is stacked on top of each other, mostly looking the same, with luggage tags that all look similar. Nobody can guarantee that one specific suitcase can be singled out in that chaos within three hours. NCL tried, NCL failed.

I do understand that the couple felt abandoned and distessed, they are right to feel devastated, and I think it's wonderful that NCL eventually stepped up and offered them a solution. I still think they are wrong in doing so.

"when they would board a gleaming white vessel run by a reputable cruise line they had previously taken on enjoyable cruises out of Boston and New York [...] Norwegian had made it clear passports were needed to board. "

This was not the couple's first cruise. No matter their age, they should have known that they need their documents to board the ship. They are not inexperienced first timers. NCL told them they would need their passports to board. They did have passports.

"The Waxes had stayed with a granddaughter who lives in LA the night before their planned voyage. She had helped them carefully secure their passports in an outside pocket of one of their three suitcases."

The couple knew they'd need their passports. They knew their granddaughter had put the passports into a suitcase pocket. They should have stopped her then and there and put the passport in grandma's purse or a coat pocket. Granddaughter, who is probably in her 30s/40s, should also have known to remind grandma and grandpa not to pack their medication and to keep all their traveling documents, including their passports, closeby and not in their suitcases. Granddaughter would also have done well to stay with grandma and grandpa until their luggage had been taken away and they had been checked in. Either they are too elderly to go through the check-in alone, in which case their granddaughter should have assisted them, or they are not too elderly to handle the check-in process alone, in which case they would be responsible for not having their documents in order.

It's also a shame that they didn't get their luggage back until Jan 2. But it's not NCL's fault that they chose to travel over Christmas, that there was no shipping service on Saturday or that New Year's is a thing. It's a series of unfortunate events, caused by the travelers' fault.

The only thing that should not have happened, from the article, is the NCL representative berating them on the phone. But I am sure that's not worth a full refund and a free trip. It's wonderful that NCL thinks that this is the right thing to do and I do wish them a wonderful complementary journey but this is one hundred percent their fault and their granddaughter's fault. NCL cannot hold the hand of 2500 pax disembarking and 2500 pax embarking a ship and get everybody checked in, cabins cleaned, lunch prepared... that's why personal responsibility is a thing. Even when you are close to 90 and even if that might mean you can no longer travel (alone).

I'm sorry but the customer is not always right. As you stated, they probably called NCL, NCL correctly stated the policy (which is not stonewalling), then they went to lawyer who probably told them to skew the facts for the emotional support (like most lawyers do). And especially after what this couple did (going to the media when they didn't get their way and possibly to a lawyer as well), if I was the head of NCL I would have told them to go pound rocks. Sorry, but someone who does something like that is the absolute LAST person on earth I would ever help. I'd probably go find another couple who had the same situation happen to them but didn't run off to the media and give them a refund and let the first couple know just to spite them.

Even if you look at it from the most cynical way possible the right thing for NCL to have done was to offer the couple a future cruise credit from a damage control perspective. Offer them a future cruise credit and you take away their ability to make your business look bad. Does this mean that the couple might get something for nothing? Yes, it does. But you know what, that happens all of the time and it's the price of doing business. Had NCL offered them a future cruise credit when their letter reached corporate HQ then we wouldn't have even heard about it. So even if one looks at this like it was the customer's own fault and the company didn't owe them anything and it doesn't matter what anyone said to them in the terminal (which is the way most are looking at it), from a damage control perspective giving them a future cruise credit would have still been the right thing to do, because then you take the air right out of their sails and protect the company name.

Even if you look at it from the most cynical way possible the right thing for NCL to have done was to offer the couple a future cruise credit from a damage control perspective. Offer them a future cruise credit and you take away their ability to make your business look bad. Does this mean that the couple might get something for nothing? Yes, it does. But you know what, that happens all of the time and it's the price of doing business. Had NCL offered them a future cruise credit when their letter reached corporate HQ then we wouldn't have even heard about it. So even if one looks at this like it was the customer's own fault and the company didn't owe them anything and it doesn't matter what anyone said to them in the terminal (which is the way most are looking at it), from a damage control perspective giving them a future cruise credit would have still been the right thing to do, because then you take the air right out of their sails and protect the company name.

So every times passengers miss their sailing because they made a mistake, the cruise line should reward them with a free future cruise? I’m guessing passengers miss cruises every day. Let’s just give them all free cruises to prevent them from going to the media. I’m guessing all of these businesses employ teams who make these decisions, who have the statistics and financial information making it much easier to determine the best course of action.

So every times passengers miss their sailing because they made a mistake, the cruise line should reward them with a free future cruise? I’m guessing passengers miss cruises every day. Let’s just give them all free cruises to prevent them from going to the media. I’m guessing all of these businesses employ teams who make these decisions, who have the statistics and financial information making it much easier to determine the best course of action.

Of course not, but they do need to look at things both subjectively and objectively and run some worst case scenarios through their decision making process. Each case is going to be different and has to be handled differently depending on the unique facts. That's why the people in corporate get paid the big bucks. If they had covered their bases we never would have heard of this at all, or if we had it would have been "hey, look at the great customer service that NCL provides" instead of "would you want to sail with this company". Let's face it, customer service has long been a major weakness with NCL, at least since I first sailed with them.

Of course not, but they do need to look at things both subjectively and objectively and run some worst case scenarios through their decision making process. Each case is going to be different and has to be handled differently depending on the unique facts. That's why the people in corporate get paid the big bucks. If they had covered their bases we never would have heard of this at all, or if we had it would have been "hey, look at the great customer service that NCL provides" instead of "would you want to sail with this company". Let's face it, customer service has long been a major weakness with NCL, at least since I first sailed with them.

Disagree. How many people miss the ship, get nothing, and we never hear about it? If NCL gave free cruises to all of those people, it would cost them a lot more than the very few who take it to the media. The only reason I heard about this story was because of CC.

Disagree. How many people miss the ship, get nothing, and we never hear about it? If NCL gave free cruises to all of those people, it would cost them a lot more than the very few who take it to the media. The only reason I heard about this story was because of CC.

It's quite obvious you disagree, as do many others;). That's okay, as I said none of us get to vote anyway:). How about this- during hurricane season cruise line's often have to re-route their ships to a different itinerary and sometimes not even make it to port. Legally all they owe the passengers is, um, nothing, because the contract gives the cruise line the absolute authority to make such changes without recompense to the passengers. More often than not though the cruise lines will offer OBC or partial/full refunds or combination of offers. Why? Customer goodwill and to avoid bad press. Same thing applies in this case, only on a much smaller scale.

I was surfing the internet and found this

Family refused refund from cruise line following son’s cancer diagnosis

13_2.phpA cruise line company, Norwegian Cruise Line, have come under fire for refusing to reschedule or refund a family’s trip.

The Colucci family from New York were forced to cancel their trip of a lifetime when their 5-year-old son, Nicholas, was diagnosed with cancer in his liver.

The little boy needed to begin chemotherapy so the family started the process to cancel their trip.

The Colucci’s were simply looking to reschedule the trip, as they still wished to go as a family, but at a later date.

However, as the family did not purchase travel insurance, this rescheduling, or indeed, a refund, was not possible. The cruise liner gave a statement to Fox 5 News that read: “Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with the Colucci family and we wish Nicholas a speedy recovery... We strongly encourage all of our guests to purchase travel protection insurance when booking a cruise so that they will be covered of a situation such as this arises. Our overall policy states that any cancellations made within 14 days or less of the sail date are subject to 100% cancellation fee.”

Nicholas’s mum, Tara Colucci, then took to social media and shared the family’s outrage at the situation.

Thankfully, a heartwarming offer from a CEO of an unnamed “popular cruise line” heard about the Colucci’s situation and offered them a free cruise, Fox 5 wrote: “He was genuinely touched by their story and didn’t want publicity for his gesture.”

Get better soon, Nicholas, and enjoy your cruise.

Maybe these folks should go to the Boston Globe

Edited by myfuzzy

13_2.phpA cruise line company, Norwegian Cruise Line, have come under fire for refusing to reschedule or refund a family’s trip.

The Colucci family from New York were forced to cancel their trip of a lifetime when their 5-year-old son, Nicholas, was diagnosed with cancer in his liver.

The little boy needed to begin chemotherapy so the family started the process to cancel their trip.

The Colucci’s were simply looking to reschedule the trip, as they still wished to go as a family, but at a later date.

However, as the family did not purchase travel insurance, this rescheduling, or indeed, a refund, was not possible. The cruise liner gave a statement to Fox 5 News that read: “Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with the Colucci family and we wish Nicholas a speedy recovery... We strongly encourage all of our guests to purchase travel protection insurance when booking a cruise so that they will be covered of a situation such as this arises. Our overall policy states that any cancellations made within 14 days or less of the sail date are subject to 100% cancellation fee.”

Nicholas’s mum, Tara Colucci, then took to social media and shared the family’s outrage at the situation.

Thankfully, a heartwarming offer from a CEO of an unnamed “popular cruise line” heard about the Colucci’s situation and offered them a free cruise, Fox 5 wrote: “He was genuinely touched by their story and didn’t want publicity for his gesture.”

Again, NCL responded by the book. I don't fault them for that, but it wouldn't have hurt them one bit to reschedule the cruise. The CEO of the other cruise line is a class act, whichever line it is.

Clarification: The way the quoting worked in a couple of posts made it look like I advocated kids sitting while elderly stood on Disney Bus. “Get the next bus” that poster said. I was responding to that poster with “ I’m flabbergasted.” Lake of respect for elders is what shocked me.

Again, NCL responded by the book. I don't fault them for that, but it wouldn't have hurt them one bit to reschedule the cruise. The CEO of the other cruise line is a class act, whichever line it is.

And I disagree, I’m going to say that at least half of all cruises needing to be skipped do to last minute issues are sad stories, some of us purchase insurance to be covered if we have a sad story. My mom had to cancel a cruise do to a cancer diagnosis, fortunately she had insurance, or else she would’ve been SOL. Who decides how sad a story needs to be to get a trip rescheduled?

And I disagree, I’m going to say that at least half of all cruises needing to be skipped do to last minute issues are sad stories, some of us purchase insurance to be covered if we have a sad story. My mom had to cancel a cruise do to a cancer diagnosis, fortunately she had insurance, or else she would’ve been SOL. Who decides how sad a story needs to be to get a trip rescheduled?

The cruise line of course. If they are so tone deaf that they can't see past their balance sheet then they will continue to get black eyes in the press (as NCL does frequently). The family didn't want a refund, they wanted to reschedule which wouldn't have cost the cruise line anything. I read a follow up story and 3 days after it's initial decision NCL backpedaled to try to save their image again and offered to let the family reschedule. The family declined the offer, they no longer had any desire to sail with NCL.

The cruise line of course. If they are so tone deaf that they can't see past their balance sheet then they will continue to get black eyes in the press (as NCL does frequently). The family didn't want a refund, they wanted to reschedule which wouldn't have cost the cruise line anything. I read a follow up story and 3 days after it's initial decision NCL backpedaled to try to save their image again and offered to let the family reschedule. The family declined the offer, they no longer had any desire to sail with NCL.

I don’t think these stories hurt business. If I thought that I could reschedule my cruise after final payment with no penalties, I wouldn’t bother to buy insurance. I’m sure they get tons of these requests every day.

Clarification: The way the quoting worked in a couple of posts made it look like I advocated kids sitting while elderly stood on Disney Bus. “Get the next bus” that poster said. I was responding to that poster with “ I’m flabbergasted.” Lake of respect for elders is what shocked me.

Yeah, it was kind of a weird display of text, but I did understand you were responding.

I don’t think these stories hurt business. If I thought that I could reschedule my cruise after final payment with no penalties, I wouldn’t bother to buy insurance. I’m sure they get tons of these requests every day.

They may not hurt it as much as some think but they do have a cumulative affect over time. I buy the insurance because if I have to cancel I'm going to want the cash, don't want to mess with rescheduling, and I also want a sure thing. I also don't think they get "tons" every day, maybe several per week. What NCL is showing consumers is that they will initially tell you no, but will cave to media pressure if you bring it. I know that people cancel cruises on other cruise lines but we don't seem to read many stories about them. I know that people likely pack their passports in their checked luggage on other cruise lines, but again we don't seem to read many stories about them either. Probably because they reach an accord with the passenger and the passenger is never given a chance to complain to anyone outside the cruise line, such as to the media. In any event it's a business decision and each business needs to decide how customer centric they will be with these issues.

Delete.