1st ever upsell Fairy Call - disappointed

:loudcry: After 20 cruises or so we finally had our first upsell fairy call yesterday. We have an extended balcony cabin booked on the Miracle leaving Feb. 10th. Upsell fairy offered cabin 6167 a balcony suite for an upsell price of $300.00 each totaling an extra $600.00. I tried get him to lower the price but he wouldn't budge. It just wasn't worth an extra $600.00 to us. I was hoping for a really wonderful price. Any thoughts?

Well, that's why the upsell offer is just an offer - you might refuse it, but others might be grasping at the chance for a suite for some reason, and if the $600 is less than the original fare difference, then it might be worth it to them.

Me? I love aft balconies, so it would have to be a lot less than $600 for me to budge, unless maybe a Captain's suite.

We choose our balcony cabins very carefully - looking at side of the ship, how near the elevators, what's above and below etc.

We sail with just the 2 of us so we don't have any burning desire for alot more space. We've gone so far as to tell our TA unless it's to one of the big luxury suites just tell 'em No. ;)

Today, I too was unexpectly surprised by the elusive Upgrade Fairy. Offer was “going rate” to upgrade from balcony to suite (even though they tried to say it was 50%) with no room to negotiate on a sailing leaving Friday.

It was a pleasant conversation but kind of a bummer.

I know others may disagree, but I would never pay another $600 just for an upgrade. If I wanted it, I would book it from the beginning, but I try to go as cheap as possible, meaning I only book inside cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am the same way, unless the perks for booking OV or balcony offset the Inside cabin price. I usually pick a midship inside Cabin next to the fancy suites and have great nights of sleep.

Sure I like having the balcony to open up in the morning on a port day to oversee everything . . . But that isn't worth the often double price for the room . . . Not to me at least.

Good job refusing the offer! Like anything else that is for sale, the seller is going to try to get the best price possible. It's the buyer who ultimately determines the price. Carnival would rather lower the price than let the cabin go empty... so at least you did your part.

I have only had one fairy offer a real deal. Six years and MANY cruises ago. An extended balcony from an obstructed one. $50 and it was worth it. Since then, the upcharges have all been more than $200 and not nearly as great. Location is important to us and like others, I do not want a bad location or a huge upcharge.

Good for you standing your ground and trying to get a lower rate.

Upgrades could be helpful if you did not pick your room initially... as in a Guarantee booking. We like to pick our location to minimize noise, so that usually means an upper deck where there is nothing much above or below us, or just outside.

I imagine a lot of the rooms available for upgrade are in locations others did not really want. If it's an expensive cabin category like balcony or suite, it may not matter as much, but for lower priced rooms, I would expect the upgrade room to be less than the ideal location.

I got an email upsell offer today for Legend in July. $44 total to go from 7th balcony to 8th extended balcony. But I didn't take it because we'd move from a cabin with another cabin above and below toward the back, which I selected, to one under the Lido bar and deck (noisy) up toward the front.