Free on board credit question, princess first timer

JP-Cruise

Doesn't it go first towards tips if you haven't pre paid them??

Tips are billed each day (not at the end of the cruise as on some other lines). It goes toward whatever you spend first.

Bottom line--non-refundable OBC is used first, then refundable OBC, and finally your credit card.

Amazing! I will just have to spend it wisely :)

Wait, that’s not right that some if it goes toward gratuities because I just prepaid the optional gratuities on the website. It was $122. So why would they take more off for gratuities?

Wait, that’s not right that some if it goes toward gratuities because I just prepaid the optional gratuities on the website. It was $122. So why would they take more off for gratuities?

If you pre-paid the gratuities, they won't take any more off for gratuities.

Some people like to pre-pay them. Some people get them as a perk at booking. Some people pay them as part of their onboard account. Totally your choice.

If pre-paid, then you are done with that issue.

If you pre-paid the gratuities' date=' they won't take any more off for gratuities.

Some people like to pre-pay them. Some people get them as a perk at booking. Some people pay them as part of their onboard account. Totally your choice.

If pre-paid, then you are done with that issue.[/quote']

Okay, thank you so much. I’m very excited to be trying a new cruise line :D so exciting indeed!

Even though you prepaid your gratuities, it will still show up on your account every day the amount taken out for the gratuities, or at least that was the way it was 2 years ago. I find it confusing, as I pre-pay as well and I wish it would just take it at the beginning of the cruise. I also put credits down for OBC before we leave as well.

I've only been on Carnival once, and that was a cruise through the Panama, it was a rare cruise and a good price so we jumped on it. I really enjoyed the Nick & Nora Steakhouse, actually better than the Crown Grill, but as others have said, I prefer the atmosphere on Princess better, although, our room steward we had on Carnival was a wonder.

Even though you prepaid your gratuities, it will still show up on your account every day the amount taken out for the gratuities, or at least that was the way it was 2 years ago. I find it confusing, as I pre-pay as well and I wish it would just take it at the beginning of the cruise. I also put credits down for OBC before we leave as well.

We have had free tips on our last 3 cruises and tips do not show up at all.

Even though you prepaid your gratuities, it will still show up on your account every day the amount taken out for the gratuities, or at least that was the way it was 2 years ago. I find it confusing, as I pre-pay as well and I wish it would just take it at the beginning of the cruise.

Our last four or five cruises when I have had either free grats or pre-paid them, there is nothing shown on a daily basis at all for gratuities, no multi-lines saying "hotel charges", much neater without all those ins and outs.

I think they've changed their accounting methods on this--recently, pre-paid tips have not been on the invoice at all.

Doesn't it go first towards tips if you haven't pre paid them??

If being paid on board, the daily gratuity charge is posted each day for that day.

Any OBC is used up as charges are posted to the account, so what ever items get there first will use up the OBC, be it shore excursions purchased on board, specialty restaurant charges, boutique charges, each day's gratuities, beverages, etc..