First HAL cruise

KayKayinOK

I am looking at booking a cruise for my mother and I for March 2019. It will be a 7 day in the Caribbean and I believe the ship will be nearly brand new! It is the

ms Nieuw Statendam. We are wanting a Verandah room. Any recs on which deck? And where?

We have both only cruised once before, and my experience was less than stellar. It was on Carnival. I'm hoping that with the lack of the amusement type attractions on HAL, that there will not be as many kids as say on a Carnival cruise?

Also, where is the best place to actually book the cruise? Can I get a better price than I'm looking at on the HAL website? Should I go through a TA?

And yes, I'm reading the HAL for dummies post as well. ;p

I am looking at booking a cruise for my mother and I for March 2019. It will be a 7 day in the Caribbean and I believe the ship will be nearly brand new! It is the

ms Nieuw Statendam. We are wanting a Verandah room. Any recs on which deck? And where?

We have both only cruised once before, and my experience was less than stellar. It was on Carnival. I'm hoping that with the lack of the amusement type attractions on HAL, that there will not be as many kids as say on a Carnival cruise?

Also, where is the best place to actually book the cruise? Can I get a better price than I'm looking at on the HAL website? Should I go through a TA?

The room recommendation is difficult because everything is relevant. Some people like to be mid-ship, others like to be in the aft or stern. We like being on Deck 8, high up, but not everyone does -- some people feel that they notice the ocean movement (get sick) quicker if they are on the upper decks. The Lido is on Deck 9, so you may want to be closer to that Deck (there are no cabins on Deck 9). You probably want to avoid a Juliet balcony -- it is very small -- just large enough to walk out on. I BELIEVE those are only on Deck 11, but I could be wrong. Ask before you go.

As to kids -- yes and no. There are always less kids on HAL than Carnival BUT ......... you are going in March and that could be SPRING BREAK for a lot of the kiddos. You might want to pick a different month!

First off welcome to HAL. I have sailed both Carnival and HAL, yes, there are less kids on HAL vs. Carnival but I have never been bothered by them on any of my HAL cruises.

I agree with others here, get a TA, a good TA is worth their weight in gold.

I agree with the other poster on cabin location, I will tell you what I prefer as far as a cabin location and hope it helps. I have stayed in an inside cabin, outside cabin, verandah cabin and in a Neptune suite, each location I always try to be sure there are cabins above and below me, this has always provided a quiet cabin experience. If you are prone to seasickness, mid ships or aft cabins I have found to work well. I am sailing on the Koningsdam March 2019 and have booked deck 6, aft. I avoided mid ships this sailing as on our last cruise on the Eurodam we were mid ships and our balcony was a tad bit smaller than our usual aft cabin and over looked the lifeboats. We knew this when we booked and we're fine with it, but this cruise we decided not to book that area again and went back to the aft cabin area.

Not sure if you are flying in to Ft Lauderdale, but if you are, recommend you fly a day ahead and not book a flight home til 12 noon or after.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

from our cruising experiences if you chose to do so on holidays, spring break and summer dates there will be more children cruising with their families. True HAL has less wild attractions. So choosing your date will help you. We just got off NA on a New Years cruise and though there were a hundred children onboard we had an awesome time. Hope this will help and enjoy your time with mom.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

March is spring break for many students. 7 day cruises even on HAL ships do attract a lot of families -- thus more children.

We have been on Thanksgiving cruises over Thanksgiving -- 7 of our 14 days were over that holiday -- Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. Loaded with children.

We choose to use a TA to get the extra perks. One thing before you make a deposit if you go with a TA or even an online agency -- ask if they charge a cancellation fee if you cancel before final payment is due. Our TA doesn't.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the wonderful world of sailing with HAL!

Understand since the Nieuw Statendam is not yet in the water answers about it "could" be a bit Indefinite at this time. Since she will be the sister to the Koningsdam I would recommend you read everything about her as you can as while perhaps not identical, they will be very similar.

On a 7 day cruise you are likely to have some children (particularly during "Spring Break" time) but nothing to compare to what you would occur on Carnival or RCCL at the same time. There are people out there who think HAL is just for "Old Folks" and therefor don't sail on her ..... and us younger folks who sail her are just fine with that! :rolleyes:

Our personal preference is towards the aft section, although not the rear facing cabins, on a deck with cabins above and below us to eliminate extra noise.

As far as booking your cruise your possibilities are several. You can always book either on-line at the HAL site or by calling them. After you make that booking you can then take your time and investigate the rates and offers from TAs or Big Box stores. If you find a deal better than what you got directly with HAL you can just transfer your booking over to the TA or BB store. It's an easy process and they will tell you what to do.

Oh, BTW, since you have sailed on Carnival you will be a 1 Star on your first HAL sailing. While it doesn't really get you much it is better than nothing.

For pricing, shop around to see if an online travel agency or a big box store has a special rate. Sometimes a TA will have a group booking with better rates and some perks. If you want more direct service, you can book with HAL using one of their personal cruise consultants (I think that's the term). I use a TA I've been with for years and she nearly always beats HAL's price. Cruise Critic rules prohibit making TA recommendations.

I agree that researching Koningsdam is a good way to get a sense of what Nieuw Statendam will be like. There is a site with a lot of pictures of HAL ships. Google hal facts. I usually enjoy aft balconies, but I would not recommend it for these ships. The ride at the back of the K'dam was terrible. Her aft shimmies in the slightest wind, and if there are any waves at all, they break under the stern, shaking the aft cabins. Sometimes it felt like living next to a construction site. I've cruised a lot, and compared to what I've experienced in the past the sea state did not justify the bouncing and banging. People I spoke to who were forward or midships experienced none of that. Midships is usually the best ride, especially if you aren't an experienced cruiser and are concerned about seasickness. (March in the Caribbean should be good weather, but you never know)

Wow, you guys are a wealth of knowledge! As for the timing, that is the week of her birthday, so kind of want to stick to that week. In a quick google, it looks like "most" spring breaks for 2018 are done by the last week of March, at least for the colleges. I don't mind kids, as I have 6 of them. I'm just looking for a break from kids. LOL Carnival kids were running up and down the halls at all hours of the night with the parents yelling behind them. Jumping off furniture, throwing food in the buffet areas, ect.

I'm in my late 40's and mom is in her 70's. Looking for something with a more relaxing atmosphere. :)

I've done six Caribbean cruises on HAL, all in March, and I've never seen more than a handful of kids. You'll have a great time and how exciting to be on a new ship. After years of going with a HAL personal cruise consultant this year went to my AAA travel agent to talk about insurance and found that I could get the same best price as I had already been offered by HAL plus about $150. in perks...a no-brainer! I have found that flights and hotels are pricier mid-later month in march.

Oh, BTW, since you have sailed on Carnival you will be a 1 Star on your first HAL sailing. While it doesn't really get you much it is better than nothing.

Question for Regnig...we have cruised Carnival twice, Holland America twice....can we get all those combined to count towards our Star Mariner status on HAL? Is that what you are indicating above? That would be great!

If we fly in the day before, get a hotel in the area...what is the best way to be get to the port? Taxi? Or is there a shuttle service from the bigger hotels to the port? Since this is over a year out, I can't look at hotels or airlines yet. My husband travels for work, so we should have enough airline miles through AA and hotel points with Marriott or Hilton available.

If we fly in the day of the cruise, what would be the latest arrival time we should consider to allow enough time to safely get to the port? The cruise is set to depart at 6pm.

the decision of when to fly depends on where you're flying from. If it's from a cold weather area I would not recommend flying in the day of the cruise. it's just too stressful with so many variables that could wreck your plans. If you're staying in the general area of the port most hotels have a shuttle service for a fee. Taxis / ubers are preferred by many because you can pick the time. The shuttles tend to be sardine-like unless you book through HAL at one of their sponsored hotels, and take their sponsored shuttle. they handle your luggage and you go directly to your terminal.

Question for Regnig...we have cruised Carnival twice, Holland America twice....can we get all those combined to count towards our Star Mariner status on HAL? Is that what you are indicating above? That would be great!

It would be great if lines would combine histories, but they don't. If you have sailed one of the Carnival corporation's lines, HAL considers you a 1-star (zero day) Mariner when you board. Otherwise, you don't get to be a Mariner until after your cruise. The 1-star status gets you an invitation to the Mariner brunch or lunch, so it isn't a big deal.

U will love Holland america it caters to the older crowd, Carnival is too much of a party group, the veranda is a great option. If u are prone to motion problems try to get a midships cabin and start taking Meclizine about 3 days before u start cruising works for my wife every time. Stay away from Norwegian they have lousy food and service

U will love Holland america it caters to the older crowd, Carnival is too much of a party group, the veranda is a great option. If u are prone to motion problems try to get a midships cabin and start taking Meclizine about 3 days before u start cruising works for my wife every time. Stay away from Norwegian they have lousy food and service. I doesn't matter if u book or u use a TA the cruise lines pay the TA's commission but it docent effect the price u pay but they might get some added perks

If we fly in the day before, get a hotel in the area...what is the best way to be get to the port? Taxi? Or is there a shuttle service from the bigger hotels to the port? Since this is over a year out, I can't look at hotels or airlines yet. My husband travels for work, so we should have enough airline miles through AA and hotel points with Marriott or Hilton available.

If we fly in the day of the cruise, what would be the latest arrival time we should consider to allow enough time to safely get to the port? The cruise is set to depart at 6pm.

I would recommend flying the day before. If you have Hilton points, the Embassy Suites is a good choice. It's near a shopping center, so you can pick up a bottle of wine or two (HAL allows 1 bottle pp for consumption in the room; more than that you pay corkage), and anything else you might need. It's a short Uber ride from there to the port, definitely cheaper than the hotel shuttle.

Since u r that far out i would go with a TA let them figure out the details. Just tell them what u want the only thing i would cautious of is flying in on weekend, flights get limited if u have a delay, that happened to us we were lucky to get to the ship before it left. We booked thru RCI they did a great job for us got us and upgraded cabin from a balcony to a mimisuite

Wow, you guys are a wealth of knowledge! As for the timing, that is the week of her birthday, so kind of want to stick to that week. In a quick google, it looks like "most" spring breaks for 2018 are done by the last week of March, at least for the colleges. I don't mind kids, as I have 6 of them. I'm just looking for a break from kids. LOL Carnival kids were running up and down the halls at all hours of the night with the parents yelling behind them. Jumping off furniture, throwing food in the buffet areas, ect.

I'm in my late 40's and mom is in her 70's. Looking for something with a more relaxing atmosphere. :)

HAL is erfect for what it seeems your looking for....when is moms bday?

3rdGenCunarder did a good joy of answering your question. I personally doubt the programs will ever be combined where points on one line can be used on another.

If the hotel where you would be staying has a free shuttle why not just use it? One benefit is that you will meet fellow cruisers before you even board the ship. We stay at a Hampton Inn in Plantation and always take the shuttle to the ship but grab a cab upon disembarkation which gets us back to the hotel and then on the road to drive home. If you are flying home there are lots of cabs (don't remember the exact price but not much) or you can opt to get a Transfer from HAL for the trip to the airport.

Please, please, please arrive the day before sailing. We learned that lesson the hard way on our very 1st cruise :eek: and have never repeated it since.

If the ship is scheduled to leave at 400p you must be checked in and onboard I believe 90 minutes prior to sailing making it 230p. While the airport is close to the port you still have to add in time for luggage pick up and then securing a cab. And if weather is bad along the way you could easily miss the ship as it will not wait for you.