Summit Drydock Question

Eisernes

We booked the last cruise before they go into dry dock in February 2019. :eek:Should we cancel? What should we expect?

So we will also be sailing on this cruise in February. I was looking for a short one due to our tight vacation schedule and I jumped at this 4 night itinerary.

So obviously I am going to recommend you not cancel but I do have some experience to back that up. We also sailed on the last cruise the Summit took before she went into drydock to be "Solsticized". I was really worried then that both the ship and the crew would be "tired". That is not at all what I found to be the case. The ship looked great and we just sailed on her again last February so I can confirm she still does. If you really want to find wear and tear you will, but it was nothing that impacted our cruise. The big surprise that we found was with the crew. Since almost all of them were ending their contract I was worried they would be cranky, but I found just the opposite to be true. I think the idea of them all going home had everybody excited and they were super helpful and friendly. It was fun talking with several crew members about how excited they were to see their families soon.

Maybe some other people might have had worse experiences, but I am looking forward to the last sailing of this version of the Summit.:p

Just got off the Summit last week and the consensus on board was to take lots of pictures as we would not recognize it when we return. If you are sentimental then take that advice.

We were also on the Summit 2 weeks ago and talked to many about the drydock including the Hotel Director. They will be tearing down the Summit and practically rebuilding inside out. They will have over 2000 workers over a 45 days refurbishment. The future cruise staff showed us pictures and said all the changes will be modeled after the Edge. They will be adding 30 new cabins claiming they will come from little used public areas and outdated utility rooms, yeh like I believe that. They will also be adding a Suite only area on the upper deck with a bar, pool and cabanas restricted to suite guests only.

I have always loved the Summit for it's traditional look with wood and blue themes. This will all change to a more modern white, gray and metallic look. Our same cabin during the same week next year is now 25% higher and all suites will require an $900/pp refundable deposit according to the Future Cruise staff. I think I may have taken my last cruise on the Summit.

I have a Canada/New England day I was cruise booked for 9/22/19. Will the cabin number locations change?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would think it is very unlikely. They are not moving cabins, just remodeling existing and adding new cabins in areas where there are no cabins today. I was told an example of the new cabin locations would be on deck 3 by the Tuscan Grill and deck 10 by the Spa. I guess it would be possible that a cabin number may be changed in a section where multiple cabins are being added.

I would think it is very unlikely. They are not moving cabins, just remodeling existing and adding new cabins in areas where there are no cabins today. I was told an example of the new cabin locations would be on deck 3 by the Tuscan Grill and deck 10 by the Spa. I guess it would be possible that a cabin number may be changed in a section where multiple cabins are being added.

New cabins by the spa area? I wonder if they are taking out the Tpool. I hope not.

Laura

We were on the Summit 2 weeks ago. They are taking all the cabins down to the steel frames. Michaels Club will be enlarged incorporating sosce from an unused ps try behind it. They are putting in a circular bar. The upper deck will be a Suites only area with a “water feature” (to be defined). The buffet will have stations vs the long buffet counters. The spa area is being completely redone. In other words, it will be Edgicized. There will be 3 shifts of crews so the work will be continuous, 24/7. We signed up for the April 6 itinerary. It will be our 7th cruise on the Summit and decided to go for a Sky Suite so we can see all the changes.

We got a call today that our reservation on the Summit was cancelled for a trip to the drydock. We booked another cruise on Summit when it comes back. Anyone know what they are changing? If I'm not mistaken it was just in drydock a year or two ago.

This might help. Extensive changes on most of the ships over time:

Staterooms and suites will be a comprehensive refresh.

• New re-imagined Aquaclass staterooms
  • New renovated oceanview staterooms
  • New redesigned inside staterooms
  • New improved Signature staterooms
  • New re-conceived Reflection Suites

The new staterooms will feature 11,579 new Cashmere Mattresses and Bedding Collection. They will also be thoughtfully reconfigured to maximize storage and efficiency.

The suite life will get sweeter with the Retreat. The new Retreat Sundeck will rival any high-end resort, and promises to be the perfect place for guests to unplug, unwind, and take in the stunning views.

The revitalized Retreat Lounge will be the perfect high-end lounge for suite class guests to enjoy complimentary beverages, gourmet bites, and live entertainment.

Celebrity Cruises will also be introducing a fresh, new Oceanview Cafe. This cafe is an international marketplace with globally influenced menus and a sleeker, more whimsical ambiance that is found exclusively on Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium, and Celebrity Summit.

There will also be a complete refresh of the Main Dining Room.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the tight schedule for the "Revolution" changes on Summit would you recommend purchasing the Vacation Protection Plan for a March 30th sailing or if delayed will Celebrity do the right thing and rebook without fees even without a protection plan? TIA!

This should be covered in your ticket contract. Not sure where you booked and under what terms. For a U.S. booking, if they do an outright cancellation, you would get a refund. If they delay by a day or two, you'd get a partial refund because the ship would still be sailing during the contracted time period.

When Celebrity has to cancel, they've also historically offered two or three alternate dates with price protection (meaning no cost to you). If you cannot take that offer, but want to book another trip, you pay the prevailing rate for the new trip. Some of this may be negotiable depending on who you deal with & the circumstances involved, but that's generally how they operate.

If you want a guaranteed refund no matter what, you should shop around for cancel for any reason private insurance and not rely on what the cruise line offers.

Due to the tight schedule for the "Revolution" changes on Summit would you recommend purchasing the Vacation Protection Plan for a March 30th sailing or if delayed will Celebrity do the right thing and rebook without fees even without a protection plan? TIA!

I am on that sailing as well.

Celebrity will absolutely treat you right with regards to a future sailing--with or without a protection plan. The real issue is what about all the other expenses and commitments you have made in coordination with the cruise, such as airfare and hotel. Will you incur airline change fees if you have to rebook? Celebrity may throw in extra onboard credits to try to compensate, but they won't refund your airfare in its entirety.

If you are flying, the thing I would recommend (and what I did myself) is to purchase a no-frills, low-cost travel insurance policy from a reputable third-party. Even the most basic travel insurance should cover cancellation by the cruise line. It was a small investment that eliminates the problem.

If you are not flying and would not incur any significant expenses if the cruise were cancelled, then Celebrity's compensation may well be enough for you.

Watch carefully what happens with the Millennium in early February. That ship is going through the same refurbishment. If the Millennium sails without issue after its upgrade, I would say chances are good the Summit will succeed too.