Norwegian Pearl vs. Holland American Volerdam

door60

We are a couple in our 50's , taking our 20 year old son to Alaska for his 21st birthday in August. We have narrowed it down to The Pearl and the Volerdam. I like the Volerdam because the day of the week it departs is more convenient, and I prefer to depart from Vancouver than Seattle where The Pearl departs from. However, I read that The Volerdam may not be as fun for my son, since the age of the passengers tends to be older.

What is your advice? This is a trip for my son.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Yes. This destination as well as New England/Canada is for Ports.

I’d consider another thing... I love Jewel class NCL ships very much, but they don’t have covered pools if you like to swim.

Food will be better on Holland, although Holland has shorter times when buffets are open, but room service is free and it includes more.

Holland’s cabins are cozier with better shampoo and such, but on older ships you can have maintenance problems like toilets not working properly or water pressure isn’t enough.

Incidentally both ships go to the same ports. The difference is the embakement port, which I guess means leaving from Seattle would preclude us from seeing the inside passage.

You will still sail much of the inside passage, just not the Southern portion since Seattle departures almost always sail outside Victoria Island. This can mean rougher seas in addition to less to see on your first and last day on the round-trip itineraries.

I would focus on the ports and find things that interest him, then choose the ship that spends the most time in those ports.

If entertainment and late-night activities are important, Norwegian is the better option, all other things being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done HollandAmericaLine and NCL. We found Hal boring even for us. I would definitely chose NCL over Hal. Better entertainment on NCL even for us. More fun choices of food on NCL too. We found ourselves playing jigsaw puzzles on Hal because there was nothing to do.

Having been on both ships, Holland America is your best choice for Alaska. The food is much better, more Alaska fresh fish including King Crab Legs. The Inland passage is much more picturest, almost constant viewing whales, sea lions, harbor seals and porpoises. On Alaska cruises, at least 50% are families and much more laid back than other destinations. . Holland America has covered pools on all of their ships that go to Alaska. Entertainment is about the same for the Pearl and the Volerdam. Staterooms are better and bigger on HAL. Both go to Glacier Bay National Park which is a plus.

Hal has much more Alaska oriented lectures

I have done HollandAmericaLine and NCL. We found Hal boring even for us. I would definitely chose NCL over Hal. Better entertainment on NCL even for us. More fun choices of food on NCL too. We found ourselves playing jigsaw puzzles on Hal because there was nothing to do..

In Alaska the cruise vacation is about the environment, scenery, wildlife, glaciers. Early August will have longer days for viewing. There are plenty of bars on the ship if being of legal drinking age is important and lots of bars in the ports. Let your son help plan the trip. What excursions is he interested in? Which ship has longer port times to participate in these activities? It’s about the total experience rather than the ship. You will find plenty of young adults on HAL ships in Alaska. They are there for the adventure, not so much the party. The dining room stewards on HAL will wish him “Happy Birthday” and give him a yummy birthday cake if they know it’s his birthday cruise!

door60, you said this trip is for your son. Then choose the Pearl. He will find much more to like about the Pearl at his age. You will all enjoy the many different restaurants to choose from on the Pearl, and NCL's entertainment is very good.

We have cruised to Alaska twice on NCL ships and twice on HAL ships, and we have two future Alaska cruises booked on HAL ships. We really prefer cruising with HAL. However, your trip is for your son, and at 21, I'm pretty sure he'll have much more fun on the Pearl.