Long Drive to the Cruise

Noreen411

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but............Are you sure that you're leaving enough time for the drive. You most likely will encounter holiday traffic, maybe an accident, construction delays, etc. You might even have car trouble. You don't want to take the chance of missing your cruise. I hope that you have travel insurance.

Here is a scenario

Leave NJ at 3 AM then you get an unexpected Crash entering into NY. Then you get stuck in roadwork around Washington DC a few hours go by a 5 car pileup accident happens in North Carolina takes 3 hours to clear it up.

You stay at the hotel and leave the next morning and then it starts to rain really hard and makes driving hard. Then about 90 miles into the drive your Check Engine Light comes on and it will take a tow truck 2 hours to reach you 45 minutes to the garage and 2 days to fix the issue.

There are no Rental Car Agencies to get you a new car because either they are booked or far away. Its getting close to cruise day so you have no other choice but to take a taxi to the nearest airport and pay the last minute one way flight to Ft. Lauderdale.

You arrive at the Cruise Port and you just missed checkin by 20 minutes and are denied boarding and will need to book a hotel until your flight home or pay to get to the nex port or to change your flight.

This could be a real scenario! Yes i know flights do get delayed which is why you could fly in 3 days before.

I would never do a road trip if I had to go to an important event or cruise!

Here is a scenario

Leave NJ at 3 AM then you get an unexpected Crash entering into NY. Then you get stuck in roadwork around Washington DC a few hours go by a 5 car pileup accident happens in North Carolina takes 3 hours to clear it up.

You stay at the hotel and leave the next morning and then it starts to rain really hard and makes driving hard. Then about 90 miles into the drive your Check Engine Light comes on and it will take a tow truck 2 hours to reach you 45 minutes to the garage and 2 days to fix the issue.

There are no Rental Car Agencies to get you a new car because either they are booked or far away. Its getting close to cruise day so you have no other choice but to take a taxi to the nearest airport and pay the last minute one way flight to Ft. Lauderdale.

You arrive at the Cruise Port and you just missed checkin by 20 minutes and are denied boarding and will need to book a hotel until your flight home or pay to get to the nex port or to change your flight.

This could be a real scenario! Yes i know flights do get delayed which is why you could fly in 3 days before.

I would never do a road trip if I had to go to an important event or cruise!

What about being pulled over by a sheriff in the south and cooling it in the clink for a few hours. Not mentioning that they will run out of gas and how much time that will cost? And the zombies, what about the zombie attack that will cause untold delays?

I do like the touch of driving to NY from NJ to go to Florida.

What about being pulled over by a sheriff in the south and cooling it in the clink for a few hours. Not mentioning that they will run out of gas and how much time that will cost? And the zombies, what about the zombie attack that will cause untold delays?

I do like the touch of driving to NY from NJ to go to Florida.

Oh my goodness, I completely forgot to warn the OP about the zombies! Thank goodness you remembered! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We recently drove round trip Ormond Beach Florida-Annapolis Maryland. Look into taking route 17 around dc. The southern end is in Virginia, just north of Richmond. Northern end is around Annapolis and you can get back on 95. Also, NO MATTER WHAT, take 295 around Richmond. There are signs telling how long 295 and 95 will take, often not much of a difference. It’s not the time saved, it’s the absolute horror of 95 thru Richmond. It was pure terror! Winding, skinny lanes, construction, a lot of merging traffic. It was awful! 295 was a nice easy road!

Have a safe trip and congratulations on your daughters wedding!

Thank You,,,I wrote down the info !!

Hi

He is so excited about the road trip. Even though I have seen cheap flights he wants to drive down. These cheap flights are thanks to people on this thread.

I am glad I already have the flight home booked.

Have a GREAT trip !

George in NY

All of you not lucky enough to live in Florida, have you done the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel route?

When we drive to Maine, we get off 95 at Emporia Va to spend a night in the Virginia Beach area. Next morning we do the Bridge Tunnel which is beautiful and fun. Drive up the DelMarVa peninsula to Dover De and rejoin 95.

It’s peaceful and you avoid the Richmond, DC and Baltimore nightmare.

We’re still kicked big ourselves for not trying it till five or six years ago. You don’t save time, but you miss a lot of stress.