Long Drive to the Cruise

Noreen411

Hey Noreen,

When are you going to continue your Anthem review......don't let the road trip occupy you. LOL:D

Hi

I haven’t forgotten it. Work gets in the way so it takes a bit longer than I would like.

Hoping to get at least one more day of the review done today and some more over the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No Way?

Non stop from EWR to FLL on 4/1/18 is now $115.

The $143 fare you quoted was for a journey of 7hrs 15 min.

Non stop is better and cheaper.:D

Where do you see that?

I just checked jet blue’s website and the cheapest is $268 for checking a bag price.

It’s not really about money. My husband thinks a road trip will be fun.

But if it was that cheap I could try to get him to fly

Where do you see that?

I just checked jet blue’s website and the cheapest is $268 for checking a bag price.

It’s not really about money. My husband thinks a road trip will be fun.

But if it was that cheap I could try to get him to fly

It is Southwest not Jet Blue. You must go directly to SW site, their prices do not show on ITA Matrix or such sites. It is the 2:05 pm flight. Hurry!

I saw the cheap flights on Southwest and mentioned them to Scott.

He really wants to drive; he doesn’t want to fly even at such a cheap price.

So it looks like we are going to do the drive down to Fort Lauderdale after all

No, it was same one that has gone down today

3 tickets left at that price, then goes to $135

Wrong again. The fare you quoted at $143 yesterday was for a 1 stop flight. There was no non stop yesterday at that price or at the lower price (that you proclaimed would not happen at this late date) of $115 that it is today.:')

Enjoy your trip. Do check the alternative route I gave that avoids I95 until into South Carolina. It is a longer drive than 95 but that is assuming you encounter no traffic in the metro DC and VA areas.

Enjoy your trip. Do check the alternative route I gave that avoids I95 until into South Carolina. It is a longer drive than 95 but that is assuming you encounter no traffic in the metro DC and VA areas.

I’ll give a [emoji106]to this suggestion. I live in SC and it’s the only route I take now on my trips north.

Wrong again. The fare you quoted at $143 yesterday was for a 1 stop flight. There was no non stop yesterday at that price or at the lower price (that you proclaimed would not happen at this late date) of $115 that it is today.:')

What do you mean wrong agin.

No there wasn't one stop at $143 when I posted that. Things may have changed (and do at any time) from the time I looked and the time you did.

Don't start calling people lairs!

Hi

We live in Northern NJ (Bergen County) and our next cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Originally we were planning to fly down the night before the cruise leaves, stay in a hotel that night in Fort Lauderdale, board the ship the next day and fly home at the end of the cruise.

I booked the flight home a while ago since the price was decent but have held off booking the flight down as it’s been more than we normally pay to fly to Florida.

My husband suggested driving down. We would need to rent a car since we have a flight back already booked. I reserved a rental car in case we decide to do the drive down. He thinks it will be a fun road trip.

We were thinking of leaving two days before the cruise and just drive through to Fort Lauderdale and still stay in our pre-cruise hotel the night before.

Any advice? Is this a crazy idea? Would you break it up more?

Thank you in advance.

We have done a Xmas timeframe ROADTRIP/CRUISE to Tampa Florida two years in a row. We loved it, that said. A lot of variables, finances, like driving, time off you have, age, close knit compatibility. So I will simply describe how we did it and plan to do it again.

Just a couple, 60's, used own very comfortable 2016 Ford Edge, retired. I spent a lot of time mapping out hotels staying with Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites. Loved the ability to cancel within 6 hours of check in HOWEVER sadly that has now changed to I think 24 hours. That means planning even more important. I would not wing it on 95 corridor, I would have reservations. We left NY to NJ stop at Mother in Laws, then central NJ off to Virginia. Washington DC area is the known pain. Where and when you stop is a personal decision based on driving time comfort. We look for no longer than 6 to 7 hr hour block. Yes in our youth kids young did the straight down etc. Hell August and did it in NO AC Nova two kids, Disney. In golden years, never going to happen. I want to enjoy the trip. Hence we scheduled stay overs at Embassy Suites Savannah GA, two nights. Can't say enough about hotel, City, trolley tours, etc. Next ride to The Villages Florida, two nights there, out to dinner with friends in area, checking out area, etc. Finally short hop for us to Tampa, hour and a half, stay night there enjoy area.

So here is what I would say. IF you take a week to get there scheduling some stops overnight somewhere you have always wanted to stay or see GREAT road trip. Then relax on a cruise. Tampa and Canaveral ports easier to park car etc. since you are doing one way rental not a problem for you Fort Lauderdale more of a pain for driving your own car. Get off ship fly home.

In your case you have to include tolls, NJ pike, Delaware, Maryland, etc gas and in your case also car rental, some stay or stays heading right down, can't see that can be much less than a flight down. If you are not going to enjoy the road trip to me worth the extra bucks flying down, Airfares change etc keep looking.

The only way I would muscle my way down to Florida is if I was staying here for winter. If you are not going to enjoy the trip, don't do it.

George in NY

We have done a Xmas timeframe ROADTRIP/CRUISE to Tampa Florida two years in a row. We loved it, that said. A lot of variables, finances, like driving, time off you have, age, close knit compatibility. So I will simply describe how we did it and plan to do it again.

Just a couple, 60's, used own very comfortable 2016 Ford Edge, retired. I spent a lot of time mapping out hotels staying with Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites. Loved the ability to cancel within 6 hours of check in HOWEVER sadly that has now changed to I think 24 hours. That means planning even more important. I would not wing it on 95 corridor, I would have reservations. We left NY to NJ stop at Mother in Laws, then central NJ off to Virginia. Washington DC area is the known pain. Where and when you stop is a personal decision based on driving time comfort. We look for no longer than 6 to 7 hr hour block. Yes in our youth kids young did the straight down etc. Hell August and did it in NO AC Nova two kids, Disney. In golden years, never going to happen. I want to enjoy the trip. Hence we scheduled stay overs at Embassy Suites Savannah GA, two nights. Can't say enough about hotel, City, trolley tours, etc. Next ride to The Villages Florida, two nights there, out to dinner with friends in area, checking out area, etc. Finally short hop for us to Tampa, hour and a half, stay night there enjoy area.

So here is what I would say. IF you take a week to get there scheduling some stops overnight somewhere you have always wanted to stay or see GREAT road trip. Then relax on a cruise. Tampa and Canaveral ports easier to park car etc. since you are doing one way rental not a problem for you Fort Lauderdale more of a pain for driving your own car. Get off ship fly home.

In your case you have to include tolls, NJ pike, Delaware, Maryland, etc gas and in your case also car rental, some stay or stays heading right down, can't see that can be much less than a flight down. If you are not going to enjoy the road trip to me worth the extra bucks flying down, Airfares change etc keep looking.

The only way I would muscle my way down to Florida is if I was staying here for winter. If you are not going to enjoy the trip, don't do it.

George in NY

Hi

We both work so the earliest we can leave is Saturday. The cruise leaves Monday.

I have a hotel booked for Sunday night in Fort Lauderdale.

We are thinking of driving straight through.

But now I am thinking maybe we will need another stop. Scott wants to find a local place to see/eat in the south somewhere. Maybe something we have seen on one of the cooking shows we watch.

We will be in an unfamiliar car since we are renting one to drive down.

He is so excited about the road trip. Even though I have seen cheap flights he wants to drive down. These cheap flights are thanks to people on this thread.

I am glad I already have the flight home booked.

We are driving from Central Jersey to Naples in April for our daughters wedding. We have to transport the wedding gown, my gown and the maid of honors gown (our other daughter). We will drive straight through to Newport Richey (16 hours) and stop for the night at my moms. I am so afraid to stop at a Hotel and have to take the wedding gown out of the car....too many what if's! We will make the 3 1/2 drive to Naples the next day Wednesday...relax for 3 days have the wedding on Saturday, Then drive over to Miami on Sunday for the night and head to the Port on Monday for a 4 night cruise on the Enchantment...with the our daughter the Bride & son in law the Groom, our older daughter, son in law and 7 month old grandson, and our best friends from California!

I'm sure we won't be as excited when we get off the ship on Friday morning and we are the only ones driving back while the others fly home and the bride & groom head out for a week in Cancun but it will all be worth it....we will be done paying for WEDDINGS!!

We have decided to leave here about 3:00 am on that Tuesday morning to HOPEFULLY avoid all the crazy traffic in the DC area! We shall see how that plan works out!

Scott?!?!? I thought his name was Clark?

IMG_0466.jpg.e7be8d1942e8a5544cbc34fc3210ae66.jpg

We are driving from Central Jersey to Naples in April for our daughters wedding. We have to transport the wedding gown, my gown and the maid of honors gown (our other daughter). We will drive straight through to Newport Richey (16 hours) and stop for the night at my moms. I am so afraid to stop at a Hotel and have to take the wedding gown out of the car....too many what if's! We will make the 3 1/2 drive to Naples the next day Wednesday...relax for 3 days have the wedding on Saturday, Then drive over to Miami on Sunday for the night and head to the Port on Monday for a 4 night cruise on the Enchantment...with the our daughter the Bride & son in law the Groom, our older daughter, son in law and 7 month old grandson, and our best friends from California!

I'm sure we won't be as excited when we get off the ship on Friday morning and we are the only ones driving back while the others fly home and the bride & groom head out for a week in Cancun but it will all be worth it....we will be done paying for WEDDINGS!!

We have decided to leave here about 3:00 am on that Tuesday morning to HOPEFULLY avoid all the crazy traffic in the DC area! We shall see how that plan works out!

We recently drove round trip Ormond Beach Florida-Annapolis Maryland. Look into taking route 17 around dc. The southern end is in Virginia, just north of Richmond. Northern end is around Annapolis and you can get back on 95. Also, NO MATTER WHAT, take 295 around Richmond. There are signs telling how long 295 and 95 will take, often not much of a difference. It’s not the time saved, it’s the absolute horror of 95 thru Richmond. It was pure terror! Winding, skinny lanes, construction, a lot of merging traffic. It was awful! 295 was a nice easy road!

Have a safe trip and congratulations on your daughters wedding!

You could look at taking Amtrak from Lorton VA to Sanford FL. Drive your rental car for 4 hours to Lorton VA board the Auto Train enjoy dinner and breakfast then its another 3 hour drive. You could even overnight in Lorton VA to break up the drive.

Then spend a few days in Ft.Lauderdale

If that is too expensive then just keep looking for flights. For me I would not want to be stuck in the I-95 with rush hour traffic, accidents etc. Then you factor in overnight meals gas and the one way rental fee. Its too much for me so I would rather fly or just take Amtrak.

Lets say you ran into a major accident that took 2 hours to clear and you were still 14 hours away from Florida? You did not book the hotels right and now you end up arriving on the day of the cruise. I would hope you factor this in.

The one way rental return fee is very expensive especially you are driving it from NJ-FL out of state returns are always more than in state one ways.

I personally wouldn't call what is probably an 18hr drive on I-95 fun, but if cost is an issue it's doable. I know driving wipes me out so I'd make sure you have time to recover before you get on the ship.

Time to use up those Frequent Flier miles if you have them!

We drove from Minnesota to Ft Lauderdale once for a cruise. There was 5 of us so saved alot of money over airfare. (8-900 dollars) We actually drove almost straight through. We did stop a couple of hours at rest stop so I could get some sleep. We had driven long distances before so everyone knew what to expect. Kids had games and movies and we brought along snacks and drinks. Just plan on stopping fairly regularly to stretch out your legs. I did seem like it was much longer drive home afterwards. :DI would do it again.

That is pure torture . For me I will do anything to fly even if it means booking my Airline Tickets 330 days in advance or using Miles+Cash. Whatever it takes. For us on the West Coast we have to fly to Tampa so I would imagine the same from Minneapolis.

Yes there are 5 people but if you can find a Delta Ticket for $200 r/t that is better than having to drive 2 ways. You arrive tired before the cruise then tired again on the return so its not really a vacation to me. I value comfort over price at time and will willingly save money elsewhere but flying is quicker and you get to your hotel the same day you leave.

I know we all have our own opinions and finances but to drive 1,500 miles or so straight without an overnight is pure torture games or not x 2 now that is super torture.

Sorry but I would rather just fly!

I'll be going on the Anthem in June.

Driving up and back with a friend.

Bringing an extra bag (dive gear), the money will we save for the two of us is quite a bit.

Thanks for all the tips on taking different roads than 95.

We plan on leaving around 2:00 in the afternoon and driving straight through.

We rented a car and drove both ways from LI a year ago. Flights for President's week were insane. It would have been $3500 for the 5 of us to fly. We stopped at the NC/SC border the first night. We were spending a couple of days at WDW before our cruise. We stayed there for 2 nights and then drove to Fort Lauderdale the morning of the cruise. On the way home we stopped somewhere in NC for the night. Originally my kids didn't want to drive but they ended up liking it. They were disappointed this past summer when we flew to WDW instead of driving. Just make sure you add everything up to make sure it makes sense to drive over flying. I would have no problem doing it again if there was significant savings.

Wow $3500 for 5. Now that is steep. I like to share my flight deal story. My Father and I had to go to Israel to help a Family member last minute notice. A week before the flight I booked us a Roundtrip San Francisco-Tel Aviv for $770 thats 7000 miles .

So it amazes me that one could easily spend $700 r/t flying during the holidays. It almost makes taking a European cruise cheaper than staying stateside.

Wow $3500 for 5. Now that is steep. I like to share my flight deal story. My Father and I had to go to Israel to help a Family member last minute notice. A week before the flight I booked us a Roundtrip San Francisco-Tel Aviv for $770 thats 7000 miles .

So it amazes me that one could easily spend $700 r/t flying during the holidays. It almost makes taking a European cruise cheaper than staying stateside.

Yes it was crazy. I expected them to be high since it was during a school break, but not that high. $700 pp was the cheapest, not great flight times with a stop. Nonstop were $850 round trip. No way am I paying that much to fly to Florida from NY.

That's a great deal.