Long Drive to the Cruise

Noreen411

my husband who doesn't like to fly, would prefer to drive. There is a chance we may have to stop at the ER to address our stab wounds when we arrive in Florida and then have to request separate staterooms once we board the ship! LOL

😂😂😂😂 thought it was just me 🙊, men seem to have 'rose colored glasses' when a road trip is involved, I'd rather deal with tsa than start my vacation, wanting to kill me 😂

The flights I am looking at ewr to fll on April 1 are mostly over $300 per person. I have been looking at jet blue.

Our flight home is only $138 per person.

I have some jet blue credit and points so could get the price down.

The bigger issue is now my husband who is super excited about a road trip. He does not like flying commercial flights. The extra time to get to the flight, the rules about what you can and can’t pack, being stuck in a seat for a few hours. And I always book the extra space/extra speed seats.

He can fly himself as flew planes in the Marines. I think that’s why he doesn’t like to be a passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There’s the issue—April 1st is Easter Sunday so you’re traveling on a busy holiday weekend.

We used to drive to FL all the time. We are Upstate NY, so it was a good 22 hours straight through to Orlando for us. It’s not horrible because you’re heading to vacation. The drive home was the worst, but you don’t have to worry about that!

Keep in mind if you leave Good Friday, the roads will be very busy. There also will likely be no hotel rooms along the I-95 corridor unless you book ahead. We found ourselves stuck one Good Friday driving home without a hotel. Lots of people traveling.

We’ve been doing the 22-25 hour drive south for 12 years now and twice a year for the past 6. We take turns driving and don’t stop other than for food and gas. It’s now become routine and we actually look forward to the drive. 22 more days until we do it once again.

Everyone is different. For me, a 2 hour drive is lots, never mind 22 hours.

I'd prefer to stay home than drive across the country just for a vacation. That seems crazy to me! Who would think such a thing is fun?!

I generally avoid going to Europe to see family because of the 8 - 10 hour flight. I couldn't even imagine 20 hours in a car. Actually, I can, I made the drive to NYC from FLL once, NEVER again! Planes were invented long ago.

As I posted earlier. My wife and I think it's fun. So since you're not married to either one of us you are good to go and do whatever you think is fun. Which some people might just think is crazy too.

OP: I would not do that drive straight through, I would stop over for a night. It's not just the distance, which alone will be tiring, but the challenges posed by the amount of traffic down I-95 from New Jersey until Richmond, VA (at the very least). I hope you are planning to leave NJ before dawn and get a jump on that traffic. The traffic volume should be less after Virginia, but it's not like 95 is a beautiful, scenic road. Please also keep in mind that the entire state of South Carolina is a speed trap; be careful on the accelerator there. And there's usually a great deal of traffic around Jacksonville, Fla, and of course you then have much of the Florida east coast to navigate. Lots of traffic there as well.

My wife and I both dislike flying, and we do opt for "road trips" like this, but it's important to be realistic about the negatives (especially during a holiday weekend) and not romanticize the whole "road trip" notion.

Since you live in NJ, I assume you have an EZ-Pass (it's a must for this trip).

Enjoy your cruise!

We’ve been doing the 22-25 hour drive south for 12 years now and twice a year for the past 6. We take turns driving and don’t stop other than for food and gas. It’s now become routine and we actually look forward to the drive. 22 more days until we do it once again.

I am impressed. Glad to hear it can be enjoyable and you chose to do so again and again.

There’s the issue—April 1st is Easter Sunday so you’re traveling on a busy holiday weekend.

We used to drive to FL all the time. We are Upstate NY, so it was a good 22 hours straight through to Orlando for us. It’s not horrible because you’re heading to vacation. The drive home was the worst, but you don’t have to worry about that!

Keep in mind if you leave Good Friday, the roads will be very busy. There also will likely be no hotel rooms along the I-95 corridor unless you book ahead. We found ourselves stuck one Good Friday driving home without a hotel. Lots of people traveling.

Yes holiday weekend unfortunately.

Good point on thinking about the extra hotel. Ideally we drive straight through but who knows how we will feel once we’re actually on the road.

OP: I would not do that drive straight through, I would stop over for a night. It's not just the distance, which alone will be tiring, but the challenges posed by the amount of traffic down I-95 from New Jersey until Richmond, VA (at the very least). I hope you are planning to leave NJ before dawn and get a jump on that traffic. The traffic volume should be less after Virginia, but it's not like 95 is a beautiful, scenic road. Please also keep in mind that the entire state of South Carolina is a speed trap; be careful on the accelerator there. And there's usually a great deal of traffic around Jacksonville, Fla, and of course you then have much of the Florida east coast to navigate. Lots of traffic there as well.

My wife and I both dislike flying, and we do opt for "road trips" like this, but it's important to be realistic about the negatives (especially during a holiday weekend) and not romanticize the whole "road trip" notion.

Since you live in NJ, I assume you have an EZ-Pass (it's a must for this trip).

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi.

We are planning to leave Saturday early afternoon. We have some appointments that were made when I thought we were flying Sunday.

We thought about leaving later to do the bulk of driving late at night thinking less people on the road but now are thinking early afternoon to get a head start.

Good tip in the speed traps. I have a bit of a lead foot so will be more conscious if it.

If we hit a lot of traffic I may not be able to go too fast either.

Yes, have an EZ Pass but didn’t even think about taking it with us. Thank you for that reminder.

Thank you

My husband hates to fly. I don’t live it but will tolerate it.

Our last few cruises were right out of Bayonne NJ so about a 1 hour drive from home.

Thank you for the positive thoughts on a long drive

Noreen. ZoeyVictoria hit the nail squarely on the head. If you are driving down I95 the weekend before Easter, like on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, DONT!!! That is the weekend everyone on the east coast drives down to Florida.

I95 is only two lanes wide thru much of VA, NC, SC and GA. Traffic will be crawling most of the way.

I know this from personal experience. I booked a cruise two years ago out of Port Canaveral. Never realized I’d picked Easter week. Until I tried to merge on to I95. I’m only 6.5 - 7 hours north of Pt Canaveral in SC but we spent over 11 hours getting there that time.

And I’m a driving person. Love love love a long road trip. But even I thought it was horrible.

Just saw this thread and I may have missed it as I read through, but why the big hurry to get to FL? Why not leave earlier and make the drive a part of the overall trip. We love road trips, but trying to make the drive you have planned would be miserable.

Consider a 4-6hour driving day with stops to see things during the day and pick a destination each night where you can walk to dinner and around the downtown area. Then every 2nd or 3rd day spend 2 nights instead of just one in an area for more in depth exploration. We started that about 8 years ago and found that when the drive is part of the trip you don’t notice how far you have driven. Thus, we drive if our trip is in US, Canada or most of Mexico. There are so many fascinating places to see and things to do along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just saw this thread and I may have missed it as I read through, but why the big hurry to get to FL? Why not leave earlier and make the drive a part of the overall trip. We love road trips, but trying to make the drive you have planned would be miserable.

Consider a 4-6hour driving day with stops to see things during the day and pick a destination each night where you can walk to dinner and around the downtown area. Then every 2nd or 3rd day spend 2 nights instead of just one in an area for more in depth exploration. We started that about 8 years ago and found that when the drive is part of the trip you don’t notice how far you have driven. Thus, we drive if our trip is in US, Canada or most of Mexico. There are so many fascinating places to see and things to do along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would probably stress about getting there with too many stops.

We are working Friday, have some appointments Saturday morning and then would hit the road.

If we had more time to spare that would be a good way to do it

Hi

We live in Northern NJ (Bergen County) and our next cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Originally we were planning to fly down the night before the cruise leaves, stay in a hotel that night in Fort Lauderdale, board the ship the next day and fly home at the end of the cruise.

I booked the flight home a while ago since the price was decent but have held off booking the flight down as it’s been more than we normally pay to fly to Florida.

My husband suggested driving down. We would need to rent a car since we have a flight back already booked. I reserved a rental car in case we decide to do the drive down. He thinks it will be a fun road trip.

We were thinking of leaving two days before the cruise and just drive through to Fort Lauderdale and still stay in our pre-cruise hotel the night before.

Any advice? Is this a crazy idea? Would you break it up more?

Thank you in advance.

Crazy. Fly.

Last year, I got to Newark airport (I live 1.5 hours north) just to find out that everyone standing in line at 4 am was there because of a cancelled flight. I wasn't going to let that stop me so we drove. We watched the sunrise twice and one sunset. It was a very memorable trip because I drove w my 18 year old son. Driving 23 hours down just because.....do you enjoy going to LBI on a Saturday high noon😂😂😂😂😂. Fly out! Try frontier out of Trenton!

I would probably stress about getting there with too many stops.

We are working Friday, have some appointments Saturday morning and then would hit the road.

If we had more time to spare that would be a good way to do it

Ugh...work gets in the way of relaxed travel. Hope your drive goes ok.

Our Minnesota family of 4 have driven to New York, New Orleans, Tampa and will be driving to Galveston next week for cruises. We enjoy the two days of driving, good family bonding. We play travel games, get some reading done, enjoy each others company, etc... And counting all the costs, to is about $1,000 cheaper per trip to drive than fly. We can afford to take more vacations.

I would at least break it up and stay overnight in S Carolina or so. Depending on traffic that will be around 11 hours to get to the SC border...and you're probably 9 or 10 hours to Ft Lauderdale from there.

You'll probably be grateful to have a bed to sleep in and a nice shower in the morning before hitting the road again.

Our Minnesota family of 4 have driven to New York, New Orleans, Tampa and will be driving to Galveston next week for cruises. We enjoy the two days of driving, good family bonding. We play travel games, get some reading done, enjoy each others company, etc... And counting all the costs, to is about $1,000 cheaper per trip to drive than fly. We can afford to take more vacations.

So let's look at the ballpark of the net cost of this drive:

Approximately 2400 miles round trip (I used Minneapolis to Galveston RT). Using the approx "federal reimbursement rate" of 50 cents/mile gives us $1200 in gas/tire wear/maintenance/etc. for the car. To that add a very conservative $200 for several meals for four people and $200 for one night in a hotel and then a minimum of $100 (?) for parking at the port. So, the drive (over the long haul) costs about $1700. Add to that the minimal lost revenue of one of the two drive days for one parent at a minimum of $15 per 8 hours for each day (each way) = another $240. Let's round the $1940 total up to $2,000. That nets $500/person.

I don't know what the airfare is but, the conservative $500/person net cost of the drive over two days each way would go a long way to easing the burden of airfare for four.

So let's look at the ballpark of the net cost of this drive:

Approximately 2400 miles round trip (I used Minneapolis to Galveston RT). Using the approx "federal reimbursement rate" of 50 cents/mile gives us $1200 in gas/tire wear/maintenance/etc. for the car. To that add a very conservative $200 for several meals for four people and $200 for one night in a hotel and then a minimum of $100 (?) for parking at the port. So, the drive (over the long haul) costs about $1700. Add to that the minimal lost revenue of one of the two drive days for one parent at a minimum of $15 per 8 hours for each day (each way) = another $240. Let's round the $1940 total up to $2,000. That nets $500/person.

I don't know what the airfare is but, the conservative $500/person net cost of the drive over two days each way would go a long way to easing the burden of airfare for four.

Your numbers are way high! They’re driving one way in a rental car. So rental car and gas, not close to $1200. No parking at the port. No hotel, driving straight through. And pack some sandwiches for food.