Food and drink at Princess Cays

jebridan

We have never sailed to an island like Princess Cays that is owned by the cruiseline. When you are on the ship, your food and drink (well some anyway) are included in the price of your cruise. When you are ashore at Princess Cays, does the cruiseline have a place you can eat for free? Does this work the same way for Disney and RCCL, just so I know for the future in case we ever sail them? Thanks! and hope this wasn't a dumb question!

We have never sailed to an island like Princess Cays that is owned by the cruiseline. When you are on the ship, your food and drink (well some anyway) are included in the price of your cruise. When you are ashore at Princess Cays, does the cruiseline have a place you can eat for free? Does this work the same way for Disney and RCCL, just so I know for the future in case we ever sail them? Thanks! and hope this wasn't a dumb question!

No, not a dumb question at all. On Princess Cays there is a massive BBQ area with all the food included. It's a pretty good take. The island is rebuilt following a recent hurricane and is very nice. There are many areas to sit and sunbathe (the quietier area is to the right as you get off the tender). The BBQ is to the left. The beach is a little rocky so I recommend water shoes. There are a few bar areas sprinkled around and when you get drinks at those you use your cruise card. You will also find one of the ship's bands entertaining near one of the more active bars. There are bathrooms, local craft gifts shops as well as a first aid station.

I do believe that Disney and RCCL's private islands are similar - with the advantage going to Disney because they actually dock at their island.

Have a great time.

Keep in mind that if you buy a soda card it does not work on Princess Cays. They sell canned soda for the same price as on the ship (not sure what that's up to now). Water, iced tea and coffee are free.

The Bar-b-que was typical fare but pretty good. It definitely smells good, from all over the place!!

Water sports equipment and such is additional cost (like a banana boat ride, snorkelling gear, sunboats, kayaks, etc), but they arent really that expensive.

Volleyball, snorkelling with your own gear, etc, is free.

As of the last time I was there, some of the crafts shops took princess cards (ship ones) and some didn't (locals) so if you want to buy something, keep that in mind.

It's great fun, I'll bet you have a really nice day!!

Disney's and Princess' private islands are very similiar, with paved walkways and plenty of loungers. The only main differences is that Disney actually docks at the island and it also has an adults only beach.

Make sure you look at the maps for the islands as things are kind of spread out. People also have a tendency to go to the buffet station closest to the dock. There are several buffet huts around the islands so it could worth it if you walk a little farther so that you don't have to stand in a long line.

RCCL island is not up to the Disney and Princess standard but is nice.

I guess we are nonconformists because we like to avoid the "big tender line" hassle and the long lines at the BBQ buffet. A few weeks ago we arrived at Princess Cay about 10 AM. While most of the passengers were waiting in lines for tender tickets, and than the tenders, we simply lazed in deck chairs on the pool deck. At 11:30 we had a nice lunch on-board the ship (no lines and a good menu) and than about 12:30 we simply walked down to the tender station (they had already stopped the use of tickets by that time) and rode ashore in an uncrowded tender. We than walked over to the left side (that is where the snorkeling is best) and grabbed a couple of chairs. When we walked by the BBQ (it was supposed to close at 1) there was still a few long lines. We did enjoy some fruit from seperate fruit area and had a great relaxing day without any lines. I think we have a phobia about waiting in lines for food on any cruise ship (smile).

Hank

We were at Princess Cays in Oct and wouldn't get off the ship next time to this island. There was 1 buffet line open across the island but yet they rented cabanas on the deserted side. We were very disappointed in this stop. We were on the island for 3 hours and could not wait to get back to the ship.

hile most of the passengers were waiting in lines for tender tickets, and than the tenders, we simply lazed in deck chairs on the pool deck. At 11:30 we had a nice lunch on-board the ship (no lines and a good menu) and than about 12:30 we simply walked down to the tender station (they had already stopped the use of tickets by that time) and rode ashore in an uncrowded tender. We than walked over to the left side (that is where the snorkeling is best) and grabbed a couple of chairs. When we walked by the BBQ (it was supposed to close at 1) there was still a few long lines. We did enjoy some fruit from seperate fruit area and had a great relaxing day without any lines. I think we have a phobia about waiting in lines for food on any cruise ship (smile).

Hank

Now that's the best suggestion yet! From experience, I can tell you that the food on the island is not going to be as good as what is on the ship + you have to wait in long lines (tender + food). The only downside is that by the time you get to the island all the best and quitest spots may be taken. However, if all you wanted to do is lay on the beach or snorkel- no problem.

My experience on Princess Cays is that there is no problem getting good chairs as long as there is only a single ship at that port. There were plenty of good chairs if you were willing to walk over past the buffet hut. We got the impression that most of our fellow passengers did not want to walk more than a few feet from the tender pier. On the other hand, after looking at their "girth" we felt that many of these passengers could not walk more than 100 yards (wish I was kidding).

Hank

I love Princess Cays. This is one of my favorite stops. I love the idea that it is simply a beach with food readily available. No pressures to do excursions and no aggressives vendors. I go to the Carribean to hit the beach (I am from Buffalo) so this stop hits right on the money.

I love Princcess Cays also. A year ago we missed it because of the hurricane damage and this year we made it. The BBQ was good - ribs, burgers, ect and there were pleantly of loungers and shade. Banana boat ride was a blast.

We enjoyed our stop at Princess Cays last march. We were not impressed with the BBQ though. Most people seem to think it is fine, but when we were went there were flies all over the food. They were just everywhere. Was this an isolated incident or are there always lots of flies?

I loved the private islands. Only been to Disney's and Princess'. Food was free on both. Loungers were nicer at Princess. Preferred pretty much everything else (entertainment, beach, experience, etc) on the Disney one. Had waaaayyy more fun on both islands than I expected. it being private was especially nice. No hassles from anyone.

Archived