Help - Any advice? Broke my Ankle Today 2 Weeks From Sailing!

cheaperts

Assuming Dr. clears me to go ahead and go, anyone had or traveled with someone on a knee scooter? So mad at myself, if Im not cleared then we have travel insurance, but if cleared we will go, just wondering what I can even do with a boot and a scooter, Star out of LA to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta fyi.

Broke mine the day before. Fortunately not a bad break.

I got by fine with a boot and walking sticks, used a wheelchair to embark.

But I’ve seen plenty of knee scooters on board.

Do you have a cast? If so, I highly recommend asking that they give you a waterproof one. With that I swam with my broken leg and even did a waterpark. When I asked they said insurance wouldn't pay for it and I just asked, "How much more it was?" Well it was sometime back, but only $30 more. That and even a much greater amount than that would be worthwhile convenience wise just for showering even.

If you can reschedule the trip, I'd actually do that. I went to Disney/Orlando with my broken leg, as it was my son's spring break. But OMG it was exhausting. But silly me, I did things like climb up water slide stair with my crutches, ride down the slides and have them drop down the crutches, all to do raft rides with my kid who was seven. I think I'd be older and wiser now. At the parks I rented those motorized scooters, which were a life saver, but still the broken leg definitely put a damper on the trip for me. In our case, we wouldn't have been able to reschedule due to school schedule, non refundable airfare, and non refundable condo with no trip insurance.

Sending this thread to a friend of mine, who had to use a knee scooter and see if he can add some useful information.

I tore my achilles tendon two weeks prior to a cruise. I had my surgery prior to the cruise and then got around on a knee scooter during my cruise. I also brought along a pair of crutches to use for tighter areas, e.g. inside my stateroom, around the dining table during meals.

I had a choice, cancel my family vacation and recover at home, or tough it out and recover onboard while my family still got to enjoy our vacation.

Being on my knee scooter was the best solution under the circumstances, and I did miss some of the trip like going into the warm Caribbean waters, but I was very happy that I made the decision to go. My family was very attentive to my needs and I became a quasi-celebrity on board our cruise ship.

Good luck and hope that you are on the road to recovery.

Edited by jlee621
Include previous quote.

Well update from me, the OP....

Finally got into the Orthopedic today, he said it was a "good break" no surgery, and didn't even cast it. Put me in the big boot instead, said I can hobble all I want as long as it doesn't hurt.

We told him about the cruise, he said sounds like a great way to relax and heal! Even said take the boot off & get in the pool, just be extra careful with it.

We are renting a power scooter from Specialneedsatsea and already called NCL and told them I need a chair to embark. I'm realistic, all the walking/hobbling would wipe me out fast and probably aggravate the leg, so I'll do what I can slowly in port, and use the scooter most of the time on board.

I will update the world after the cruise how it went and if it was a good choice or not...

Assuming Dr. clears me to go ahead and go, anyone had or traveled with someone on a knee scooter? So mad at myself, if Im not cleared then we have travel insurance, but if cleared we will go, just wondering what I can even do with a boot and a scooter, Star out of LA to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta fyi.

So sorry! I have been on the Epic with a knee scooter after injuring my ankle in a traffic accident. You find out how accessible...or not accessible...a ship is. Scooting the entire length of decks did cause my hip to hurt...really missed a midship elevator. Renting a wheelchair might be an option.

As someone suggested you could use a cab for excursions on your own. I stayed onboard in the some ports as we'd visited there before.

Hope you get the okay from the doctor and can salvage your trip. If not, glad you have insurance.

Finally got into the Orthopedic today, he said it was a "good break" no surgery, and didn't even cast it. Put me in the big boot instead, said I can hobble all I want as long as it doesn't hurt.

We told him about the cruise, he said sounds like a great way to relax and heal! Even said take the boot off & get in the pool, just be extra careful with it.

We are renting a power scooter from Specialneedsatsea and already called NCL and told them I need a chair to embark. I'm realistic, all the walking/hobbling would wipe me out fast and probably aggravate the leg, so I'll do what I can slowly in port, and use the scooter most of the time on board.

I will update the world after the cruise how it went and if it was a good choice or not...

Great to hear about the break in your ankle. I know it may cause you some pain at first but hopefully since it's not complex or complicated it won't cause you too much trouble.

I broke my ankle in 3 places years ago and worked in a school with only a tensor bandage on and my ankle healed really well within 5 weeks (on my feet 7hrs a day, 5 days a week).

Hope you have the same or similar outcome and are able to enjoy your cruise.

Good luck, enjoy and relax.

We just did a Princess cruise to the same ports in January, my wife had a foot injury that was non-weight bearing. We used a transport wheelchair which has four small wheels on it. She also has a knee scooter but we did not take it.

Cruise ship staff was very helpful assisting her on/off the ship, we tendered in Cabo and had no issues. Also people on land where great helping her in/out of a water taxi in Mazatlan.

Good Luck!

Are you flying to your embark point ? I broke my foot in Miami and had to fly home. It was very painful and there was no good way to elevate it on an aircraft.

That is an issue, but when I broke my foot we were in St Maarten and flying home, while not a fun experience it wasn't all that bad.Just knowing we would soon be home and I would be seeing my doctor helped with the few hours of discomfort.

Fantastic news. How well you do will have a lot to do with your attitude. go, thinking it will be a fun and relaxing time and it will be. We cruised a few years ago with our daughter, who had just had foot surgery. Yes she was limited on what she could handle, but still had a great cruise and as I said, earlier I survived and had a great week in St Maarten several years ago with a broken foot.

So, just pace yourself and enjoy yourself.

Great news!

Don't forget to request for wheelchair assistance in advance to take you to and from plane at airports.

DH fractured the heel (side) part of his leg 4 weeks before the Epic TA, and was given the boot. No motor scooter, but we asked for wheelchair assistance (in advance) at the airports so he did not have to hobble long distances to and from the gates.

We had a great cruise! At the end of cruise he donated the boot to the Medical centre who was thrilled to receive it. DH had an ankle brace and a folding cane and was using them.