Scooter Question?

Yehootu

We leave in a month on 19 day cruise. Mom will need a scooter for the first time. She really only needs it for long distance needs. She had a minor stroke and sometimes her cane isn't enough, 93 and she's not letting anything stop her.

She can and will walk whenever she can. I know no scooters in the hallways.My question, when we go to the dining room, is there a place outside to leave scooter. I can always go back to there room to get it for her as she likes to go to the shows. Will be a big relief for me on her after dinner drinks knowing she can sit and ride back to her cabin.

Mahalo.

Thank-you. Also, any one care to comment on the rental companies? Scootaround, or Specialneedsatsea? Can't get specialneeds to load. Think for transportable chair, 12.25 a day from Scoot. She won't be taking it off the ship( I have transport chair and become scooter man) so the $100-200 insurance would be a waste.

So you are looking at a transport chair and a scooter? I'd suggest that you check out Goodwill and other second hand sources. Transport chairs are frequently donated and often are available for purchase for $25-30. They fly for free. After your cruise, you can hold onto it for the next one or donate it back as you see fit. For 2 days of renting a used chair, you can own one.

As to scooters, we haven't rented at Port Everglades. Sorry. At WDW, we pay $189 per week less a 10% repeat customer discount if that helps in any way.

Yes, they will park her scooter outside the dining room.

In my experience, she will be able to ride it close to where she will be seated and the dining staff will park it out of their way & retrieve it when she is ready to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s what they’ve always done for me.

I should add, some of the crew seem to enjoy taking it for a spin.

This is so true.

My dad (86) uses a mobility scooter and when we go to the dining room, they take it away but when we're done, it seems the staff "fight'" over who's going to get it for him. They love riding those things.

I rented one from Special Needs at Sea for an April cruise. Their web site for the one I rented says it is 21 inches wide. When I sent the Mobility Questionnaire to Princess, their response said no wider than 22 inches for a standard cabin. On a previous cruise with Princess, my wife's wheel chair measured 22 inches and would not clear the door. She used her walker in the room and we folded the chair to get it in the room. Hope this helps.

If you don’t know for sure, check the measurements of the chair and the doorway opening. The couple we cruise with found out the hard way that the scooter they always bring, which had always fit through the door into the room did not. They had to upgrade to a accessible cabin. You should call Princess and the rental provider to check for sure.

They had to upgrade to a accessible cabin. You should call Princess and the rental provider to check for sure.

I am shocked they were able to upgrade, accessible cabins are usually the first to sell out. I had to book 19 months in advance to get our next cruise.

Exactly. More than once, we have been unable to go on a cruise that we wanted because there was no HA stateroom available. On the other hand, we were recently able to book one with only about 3 months notice. It all depends on the dates and how the bookings have gone. Bottom line, I sometimes end up scrolling thru cruises looking for availability of an HA cabin.

At this point, we have our eye on a 2019 cruise with no availability. Maybe it will open up, maybe not.

• 2 weeks later...

On RCL the special needs at sea scooters have fit thru the door of the regular cabin but depending upon the room set up it's very tight having it in the room. We leave it in locations near the cabin where there is more space (often an alcove near an elevator, communal area or where the hall widens at a bend) during the day. At night time we contact housekeeping and they will pick it up and take it overnight somewhere to charge it. A call in the morning and it's brought back to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On RCL the special needs at sea scooters have fit thru the door of the regular cabin but depending upon the room set up it's very tight having it in the room. We leave it in locations near the cabin where there is more space (often an alcove near an elevator, communal area or where the hall widens at a bend) during the day. At night time we contact housekeeping and they will pick it up and take it overnight somewhere to charge it. A call in the morning and it's brought back to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are differences among cruise lines. Disney has special alcoves on each floor where scooter parking and plug in is permitted. Princess specifically says that any mobility assist devices must be stored inside your cabin and cannot be left in hallways (you get this notice when you book an HA cabin; I think I've seen it elsewhere, but I'm not sure).

:loudcry:

,,,On a previous cruise with Princess, my wife's wheel chair measured 22 inches and would not clear the door. She used her walker in the room and we folded the chair to get it in the room. Hope this helps.

People and staff forget that the door itself does not opens a little more than 90 degrees. While the door frame may be 23" the door itself gets in the way, hence the 21" opening.

In my experience, she will be able to ride it close to where she will be seated and the dining staff will park it out of their way & retrieve it when she is ready to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have seen the same thing.

We leave in a month on 19 day cruise. Mom will need a scooter for the first time. She really only needs it for long distance needs. She had a minor stroke and sometimes her cane isn't enough, 93 and she's not letting anything stop her.

She can and will walk whenever she can. I know no scooters in the hallways.My question, when we go to the dining room, is there a place outside to leave scooter. I can always go back to there room to get it for her as she likes to go to the shows. Will be a big relief for me on her after dinner drinks knowing she can sit and ride back to her cabin.

Mahalo.

They will help you out.

My question, when we go to the dining room, is there a place outside to leave scooter. I can always go back to there room to get it for her as she likes to go to the shows. Will be a big relief for me on her after dinner drinks knowing she can sit and ride back to her cabin.

Mahalo.

I'll address this best I can remember. About 60% of the tables are on raised platforms, about a step up. You could either make a standing reservation for a certain table without the step and close to the main walkways. OR show up for anytime seating and having to wait for this arrangement to be open. Either way staff will assist with the scooter. They may even fight for the job of driving it. Wife used scooter last two cruises, only problem being elevators on busy nights.