No Show at Port

Um, the "single supplement" on NCL is the exact amount of the fare that a second person in the cabin would have paid -- in other words, the amount that the second person (the no-show) did pay.

I know this because I booked a double cabin as a single for a cruise this fall, on a ship that does not have any single rooms.I paid exactly twice the per-person fare, but only one set of taxes and port fees. There is no further charge for occupying a double as a single. (It's bad enough to have to pay double.)

The solo supplement is because no one paid for the other half of the room. Her friend already paid the other half of the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if the friend calls and lets the cruise line no that she will not be making the cruise, that is in effect canceling her cruise and removes her payment from the room.At that point the cruise line starts processing the refund of her taxes and fees and That leaves the friend solo in the cabin. Subject to the up charge.

Better to just not notify and have her friend be a no show then to risk the above. This has happened to some people on some cruises. It happened to some friends of ours.

I don't understand why anyone thinks there would be an additional charge. I travel alone a lot; I have already paid for 2 people. There is no "single supplement", it's just paying for 2 people in the cabin. There shouldn't be any additional "fees" or "upcharge".

But if the friend calls and lets the cruise line no that she will not be making the cruise, that is in effect canceling her cruise and removes her payment from the room.At that point the cruise line starts processing the refund of her taxes and fees and That leaves the friend solo in the cabin. Subject to the up charge.

Better to just not notify and have her friend be a no show then to risk the above. This has happened to some people on some cruises. It happened to some friends of ours.

They haven't removed her payment, it was forfeited due to terms. NCL has that money already ( not giving it back). Taxes and fees are only returned.

The cabin for 2 pax was essentially paid at the rate of 2.

If you are past the refund period, then no further fares are due. They don't actually care if ANY of you sail...they've got your money! They don't care!

When you check in, simply say that the other person isn't coming. You won't be charged any extra.