What to do in "Sitka" for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

We did Sitka on our own, all of it walking. From the tender port, we walked to the Sitka National Historical Park and hiked our way past totem poles and through the forest to the Alaska Raptor Center where we saw bald eagles as well as other rescued birds. From the Raptor Center, we walked back but took a different route into town where we visited St. Michael’s Cathedral and browsed the various shops featuring Russian artifacts.

We had read (and heard from fellow cruisers) that our plans would be too strenuous, but we were traveling with small children, one who was 15 months old at the time and in a stroller, and we found our plans to be physically adequate, even pushing a double stroller along the paths in the forest.

We would’ve loved to do more, but because of the ages of our kids we didn’t. But what we saw was enough to place Sitka at the top of our list for future Alaska cruises. It’s a truly breathtaking port of call.

8ce5a80deea335302f6b1aae1f18cfc3.jpg5a2102e4263fd0a554af7ae3593218f9.jpgdd0911189fafc2c2c91f3cc3aed279e8.jpg866e7b6f34db2151395d44601bd71971.jpg7012f9210d5c4c068af20c5a9b46f177.jpgbede9bf197a0636c1c13d5b7a8dae224.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

We did Sitka on our own, all of it walking. From the tender port, we walked to the Sitka National Historical Park and hiked our way past totem poles and through the forest to the Alaska Raptor Center where we saw bald eagles as well as other rescued birds. From the Raptor Center, we walked back but took a different route into town where we visited St. Michael’s Cathedral and browsed the various shops featuring Russian artifacts.

We had read (and heard from fellow cruisers) that our plans would be too strenuous, but we were traveling with small children, one who was 15 months old at the time and in a stroller, and we found our plans to be physically adequate, even pushing a double stroller along the paths in the forest.

We would’ve loved to do more, but because of the ages of our kids we didn’t. But what we saw was enough to place Sitka at the top of our list for future Alaska cruises. It’s a truly breathtaking port of call.

8ce5a80deea335302f6b1aae1f18cfc3.jpg5a2102e4263fd0a554af7ae3593218f9.jpgdd0911189fafc2c2c91f3cc3aed279e8.jpg866e7b6f34db2151395d44601bd71971.jpg7012f9210d5c4c068af20c5a9b46f177.jpgbede9bf197a0636c1c13d5b7a8dae224.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! I especially love the one of the cathedral with the mist/fog!

Was recently in Sitka and absolutely LOVED this port!

The highlight for us was the National Historical Park and the Sail Away. More about that in a moment. . . .

We started the day at the Russian Bishop’s House, which is operated by the National Park Service. Visited the lower level and took the 20 minute free guided tour of the upper level.

After that, we went by St. Michael’s Church. The streets in this area of Sitka are lovely and filled with shops. I meant to visit Wild Arts Gallery and Glass to see the glassblowing, but I got my directions wrong (it was in this area) and ran out of time later. We went by the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi shop to see when the 30 minute tribal dance performance would be (their website was down and the voice message did not have times). That day it was scheduled for 11:45am and was $10. They had a gift shop but it was not yet open and I was asked to return later. By the way, the Russian New Archangel Dancers’ 30 minute performance that day was at 12:30pm ($10). Tickets are sold 30 minutes in advance at the door and they seat 500, so I was told selling out is not an issue. Performances are in the building where the ship shuttle drops passengers off. (If visitors wanted to see both performances, there would be time). There is also a museum inside (guide books say it’s free, but it was $5). There is free wi-fi here and benches outside, it is a very nice center. Be sure to check out the canoe out front.

From Totem Square, you have a view of the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi clan house, Russian blockhouse, Pioneer House, St. Michael’s and the Baranof Totem in one photo shot. Back to our day. . . .

From there we went to Castle Hill and enjoyed the view. Then we took the Sea Walk along the harbor to the National Historical Park. This site is a gem! We could have easily spent our entire time at this site. This is the oldest National Park in Alaska. There is a nice visitor’s center that houses a theater (showing a film on the area upon request), a museum and Cultural Center where Tlingit artists work. There was a carving center with old totems in the back. Their website gives a list of special events with the artisans and the ranger-led events at the Park.

We took the trail by the seaside and it was such a lovely walk, both through the forest and by the water. There were picnic tables in picturesque areas to stop and eat at.

The trail led us by the river, and the salmon run had just begun. There were a lot of salmon jumping near where the river met the bay. We could hear eagles nearby. The trail led us to the bridge over the river, we didn’t have time for the Russian Memorial part of the Trail, so we went as far as the bridge. There were LOTS of salmon just resting in the river here. (Other guests said bears had been nearby earlier). There was a bald eagle keeping watch in a tree. He flew overhead, followed by another. It was a beautiful area and a perfect way to end our time in beautiful Sitka.

This is one port where we wished we’d had more time! There is a lot to do here. The Sail Away was the best we’ve ever experienced in terms of whale sightings! We counted 17 from the time we left to about an hour after (about the time we were passing the volcano). Saw very large jellyfish, too. It was a fantastic way to end this perfect day!

Happy Sailing!

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are really looking forward to our visit. I also hope to see the Bear Rescue area. I am hoping that will be worth it. I was thinking of taking the shuttle there and walking back to see the other areas.

Thank you for the review and the fabulous pictures!:cool:

Great thread! I am very interested in taking a shuttle to the Bears and Raptors. Not so interested in renting a car.

Ginny, I researched everything available for Sitka before our Cruise in 2017. IMO, the best tour is Paul Davis' Gallant Adventures (highest rated) Marine Wildlife Tour. He only takes out 6 people at a time for a 3 hour tour. Part of the description of the tour is as follows:

This marine wildlife tour will take you to see some of Paul's favorite scenic spots while making stops when we encounter notable species ofwildlife such as whales, sea otters, coastal brown bears, bald eagles &endemic sea birds (such as puffins, murres & rhinoceros auklets), stellersea lions and seals hauled out on rocks. While cruising through this maze ofislands, you never really know what will present itself as we pop around acorner and out a narrow passageway! It could be a humpback whale lunge feeding ora bald eagle swooping down after a herring. Or maybe it's a sea otter on itsback cracking a clam or a mother otter with a newborn pup on her belly! Whoknows?? Again, hard to say what amazing site we'll see! One thing is forcertain, however...we will see some great action and have a fantastic time!

It is not cheap. The best tours in Alaska never are.

You will still have time to see some of the other things in the town before or after the tour.

Bill

• 1 year later...

We were just in Sitka a few weeks ago - our first time since 1990, which was when we took our first cruise to Alaska.  My husband is disabled so we usually take the ships tours knowing we are paying more for the convenience.

Our tour took us to the Fortress of the Bear, the raptor center, and the aquarium.  I probably could have done without the aquarium, but we enjoyed the bears and raptors.

For those who can, Sitka is an easy place to walk around and the Russian church is interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Sitka on June 1, 2018 on NCL Jewel. We are active older adults so we rented bicycles and explored that way. There is a bike shop across the street from the visitor center that rents bikes for reasonable rates. We rode out to the historical park and Fortress of the Bear. There is a bike path for much of the way out there. We also stopped and took a short hike on the way back.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:35 AM, Cruizer Bill said:

If you would like to see Alaska wildlife up close and personal, take a boat ride with Gallant Adventures.  You will see lots of whales, otters, porpoise and eagles!  They have a good web site.

Hey Cruizer Bill, what is Gallant Adventures email site?

On 10/7/2019 at 7:04 AM, mek said:

We were just in Sitka a few weeks ago - our first time since 1990, which was when we took our first cruise to Alaska.  My husband is disabled so we usually take the ships tours knowing we are paying more for the convenience.

Our tour took us to the Fortress of the Bear, the raptor center, and the aquarium.  I probably could have done without the aquarium, but we enjoyed the bears and raptors.

For those who can, Sitka is an easy place to walk around and the Russian church is interesting.

I'm looking at that shorex for this summer - can you tell me any details about the aquarium that made it the least interesting part of the excursion? It seems small and perhaps not as good as the other two places. Would appreciate any info 🙂