Allure of the Seas - Upgrade Fairy for a fee

jalee7

We got an upsell the old fashioned way... got a phone call from Royal last week offering to upsell our Junior Suite for a Grand Suite for what I thought was a ridiculously high upsale price. Said it was too high and just as a joke, countered with a ridiculously low one before getting ready to hang up. I was shocked when the agent countered with a price right in the middle of the two. So, hopping on the Anthem Saturday and going to enjoy our Grand Suite.

Tim

Good job! Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We got an upsell the old fashioned way... got a phone call from Royal last week offering to upsell our Junior Suite for a Grand Suite for what I thought was a ridiculously high upsale price. Said it was too high and just as a joke, countered with a ridiculously low one before getting ready to hang up. I was shocked when the agent countered with a price right in the middle of the two. So, hopping on the Anthem Saturday and going to enjoy our Grand Suite.

Tim

Congratulations Tim! What a great upsell. Enjoy your GS on Anthem! :D:):D

This is a good point and worth mentioning. Maybe it will change in the future, but many people have reported just what you said. My only additional comment is about making sure the double points go with it. I don't know I would trust a Customer Service Rep/Revenue officer's statement that it would. Based on that thought, I'd take a reasonable upset to a full suite and get those immediate benefits, but I don't know if I would take an upsell to JS for just the bathtub/closet. I did get a free upgrade to a JS once and I can confirm I only got the single points.

Correct. No double points with free upgrade or low cost up sell.

9f0d9741b6bab3d2434979e6152c9706.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sure wish the upgrade or upsell fairy would visit me...we usually book an interior stateroom, so there's nowhere to go but up :)

There's still lots of time before our Dec. cruise. You never know, they may come calling eventually.

This is a good point and worth mentioning. Maybe it will change in the future, but many people have reported just what you said. My only additional comment is about making sure the double points go with it. I don't know I would trust a Customer Service Rep/Revenue officer's statement that it would. Based on that thought, I'd take a reasonable upset to a full suite and get those immediate benefits, but I don't know if I would take an upsell to JS for just the bathtub/closet. I did get a free upgrade to a JS once and I can confirm I only got the single points.

Exact same situation for us. Had a JS, called and offered us GS for $1200. I said make it $500 and you got a deal...she said $700 is as low as I can go. 20th anniversary cruise so we took it!!

Exact same situation for us. Had a JS, called and offered us GS for $1200. I said make it $500 and you got a deal...she said $700 is as low as I can go. 20th anniversary cruise so we took it!!

Was that $700 PP or total for upgrade?

I wonder how they are determining the upsell price they offer. Do they base it off original price paid? Or are they just putting out a variety of numbers, trying to gauge what most people will accept.

I believe that they will always try to get the most out of the customer. They will either go down a list until they find someone to take their original asking price, or they will let the number slide down a little until they get a sale. I'm sure that they have a script that they are required to follow.

Who gets the upsell fairy calls?

Would you get the call if you were already booked in a suite?

Yes, suite passengers sometimes get an upsell call for a more expensive suite.

I just received an email from Royal saying there is a possibility that I can be upgraded. However its for an additional cost. It said I just need to add my name to the list. I want an upgrade but I don't want to pay a fee. Has anyone received this before. I thought the upgrade fairy is suppose to be free :D:D:)

Sorry, it’s not free. RCCL has rooms in higher categories than you’re currently booked and they are offering you to move up if you’d like. The list is because many people will pay the discounted upgrade fee (same as you received) and they’ll do this until the ship is out of available cabins.

Folks in categories below you also received an upgrade letter under the presumption your category will have vacancies as people upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I just did a mock booking for my sailing and it says the ship is sold out. So I doubt that I get a phone call to upgrade. I actually like my boardwalk cabin. No upsell happening this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums