Live report of Viking Sea Transatlantic March 27

Azulann

It sucks that you missed Park Guell because of miscommunication. You are being kind and making the best of it, and I would too..but the lack of knowledge by Viking of the tours is frustrating. In Amsterdam we might have missed our entrance to the Van Gogh museum because they told us the tour operated the opposite direction from what it did. We had to pay for a taxi from the ship rather than walk from where they told us we would end up. We loved our cruise and made the best of it but they really need to step up the excursion game....especially includeds.

So glad you enjoyed the concert with Judy! She sent me pics and it looked great. Enjoy the rest of your time. Next time consider renting an apt rather than the included extension. That's what we do and love it! Cheaper, relaxing, kitchen....Enjoy Barcelona! Did you get tickets to Sagrada?

It sucks that you missed Park Guell because of miscommunication. You are being kind and making the best of it, and I would too..but the lack of knowledge by Viking of the tours is frustrating. In Amsterdam we might have missed our entrance to the Van Gogh museum because they told us the tour operated the opposite direction from what it did. We had to pay for a taxi from the ship rather than walk from where they told us we would end up. We loved our cruise and made the best of it but they really need to step up the excursion game....especially includeds.

So glad you enjoyed the concert with Judy! She sent me pics and it looked great. Enjoy the rest of your time. Next time consider renting an apt rather than the included extension. That's what we do and love it! Cheaper, relaxing, kitchen....Enjoy Barcelona! Did you get tickets to Sagrada?

We have tickets this morning for guided tour of Sagrada. It is pouring rain right now. First real rainy day since we began our vacation on March 25.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Disembarkation was very easy. All luggage is color coded with tag. Easy to find when you walk into terminal. We are doing the Viking extension. Got a bus tour to Mont Juric and seaside and through town to the Hilton near the university. Need to take metro or taxi to get to the old part or las Ramlas.This two hr bus tour was not communicated to us till a few days ago. We missed our entrance time to Park Guell. Things happen like this , so we walked around the neighbor hood after a nice tapa lunch.

We got tickets at the box office to attend concert of guitars including a dance couple who were fabulous, castanets and all.

It was at the stunning Palau De La Musica. Poster on our roll call suggested this concert. Met up with some from our cruise at this event.

So far the rain prediction did not come true. We will be out and about on our final full day in Barcelona tomorrow.

Was this the concert you saw? And worth the 45 euros?

e063fad01da0bcf3460c7f6c566594d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was this the concert you saw? And worth the 45 euros?

e063fad01da0bcf3460c7f6c566594d5.jpg

No, it was Orquestra Guitarres Barcelona. They had about fifteen guitarists , pianist, violin and Spanish dance couple. It was worth $42 to sit in main floor up close.

I would had paid to see the concert you posted. I read a bio of Albeniz . Got the book at a garage sale. Interesting Spanish composer.

No, it was Orquestra Guitarres Barcelona. They had about fifteen guitarists , pianist, violin and Spanish dance couple. It was worth $42 to sit in main floor up close.

I would had paid to see the concert you posted. I read a bio of Albeniz . Got the book at a garage sale. Interesting Spanish composer.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a less expensive concert...a concerto I guess? We have rearranged our itinerary after Sofia to meet hubby’s brother, sister in law, niece and her boyfriend in Barcelona for a few days and thought it might make a fun bit of culture but our frugal budget won’t allow for us to purchase six tickets. Hopefully I will find something else.

Safe (and uneventful)travels home.

Birdsong (recorded) in unexpected places. “Away in a Manger” on the Wintergarden’s sound track. Hot hot disco routine (Laura and Gonzalo) at the ship’s farewell do.

Just a few of the surprise pleasures aboard the Sea’s supersmooth crossing, now alas finito. But thanks for the memories. Disembark a breeze, we dumped bags at swell hotel—the Colón—a gem right on the Cathedral square w fab views of same and perfect location in Barri Gótic. Red marble, polished brass, impeccable service, retro throwback to the 60’s. (Miró lived there for a time.)

Exc city walk tour. Still have crick in neck from Sagrada F. Brilliant regional lonche at fave resto plus two more super super meals there. Abrazos from patrón last night. That guitarra concert at the Palau.

Maritime Museo, Boqueria, St. Just Capella, antiquing (scored 17th c. ceramic plates!), bride & filmbuff bro off to Gaudí’s Casa Milà, site of a bit of Antonioni’s “The Passenger,” surprise chat w ship’s dancer Laura in the Plaça Reial, and so on and on.

Had to cut Barça short to entrain early to France, just missing the crippling transportation strike tomorrow. Now happily ensconced w pals in a small village just beneath the snow-covered Canigou massif. More France, then Iceland (!), then our adobe casita in Santa Fe and a summer of great music.

And missing the Sea and the sea and youse guys!

Birdsong (recorded) in unexpected places.

Yes we even heard them in our stateroom bathroom since we were right above one outside the theatre!

Brilliant regional lonche at fave resto plus two more super super meals there.

Care to share the names and any recommendations?

!

Thanks for any information! Bienvenue en France! [emoji632]

Missing the Viking Sea and all youse guys too, VCDarty. I am sitting in the Newark airport waiting for the final leg of my journey home. enjoying a glass of white wine but nothing like the Explorer lounge or the Living room Bar. LOL?

I had never done a cruise line extension or transportation before. the pick up from the hotel to airport with lots of VO reps all around you.It was easy and effortless. My flight on United was less than full. I had two seats to myself in Economy comfort! Watched two movies and the food was at least hot for airline food.

The Hilton hotel was in a nice neighborhood near the University .Took taxis to the sights and in old town we wanted to see. Wish Viking would pick a different hotel closer to what people want to see on their first visit to Barcelona.

It has been a trip I will never forget. The cruise and all the people I met made it special in so many ways.

I hope you all enjoyed following this thread. I look forward to other's live reviews and threads in Viking forum.

I plan to book a trip,in 2020 for sure, just need to find the sailing that works for my sister for this trip.

final note to keep me humble:We are to have a snow storm in MN on Friday as a reality check for me. [emoji50]

Glad tidings to all of you.

Resto we favor is Café de l’Académia, on corner of Plaça St Just—just down from Plaça Jaume in old quarter. Small. Busy. Reserve for dinner. Enjoy.

Thanks. It is even close to our hotel! Wish they had a website so I could share menu with the family we are meeting. What is the price range for lunch if you know?

Thanks for posting Azulann. I've enjoyed your enjoyment of the cruise and its whetted my appetite for our own coming up soon. The docs arrived today! ��

Happy Dance time ,when the documents arrive in their zippered pouch. The final countdown days are upon you.:D

Re restos, Clay—the mid day menu is a bargain, we think. Three fine courses: choice of two exc starters, choice of two mains, choice of dessert. €15. And à la carte options galore of course, many available in “media raciones” and priced accordingly.

Such a glorious cruise. Great weather, meeting wonderful people, eating great food and really restful time. Loved our 6 sea days. San Juan a beautiful start to our cruise. Barcelona a beautiful city to end our cruise. Came home to a glorious sunny desert day. Love this time of year in Tucson with all the trees in bloom. Back to walking the dog. Thank you to all who made this cruise so special. Would love to cruise with you anytime. Louise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Re restos, Clay—the mid day menu is a bargain, we think. Three fine courses: choice of two exc starters, choice of two mains, choice of dessert. €15. And à la carte options galore of course, many available in “media raciones” and priced accordingly.

Now that works!

Thanks.

Clay

Don’t you just love Azulann’s and Clay’s posts?? Brief, colorful and engaging.

Our six straight seas days across the Atlantic must be a record for the longest stretch without stopping. We’ve heard sightings of a whale (spout, that counts) and dolphins, and just yesterday I spotted small porpoises sailing through the air near the ship. Of course, it was someone’s yell that alerted me ...

Loved, loved Madeira. We did back to back excursions ... Levada walk in the AM, followed by a delightful Taste of Madeira in the PM. The walk was fine, although we have most of the same plants in northern CA, short of sugar canes. Fascinating to learn that Madeirans went to Hawaii (a while ago) to help with the sugar plantations and also brought along the islands’ first ukelele. The terraced farms reminded me of Bali, the narrow switchbacks of rural China, and the cosmopolitan Funchal of ??. But after 1.5 Punchas (not recommended), I was out of it.

Then back onboard for sail away. There’s nothing like the ship’s spa/pool area with its mood lighting. I escape daily for the steam room/sauna, but after a gym workout, of course. It really puzzles me why Viking doesn’t have ‘tv’ on the machines, where they can broadcast BBC news, enticing excursions, future cruises, re-broadcasts of lectures, etc. (Viking, are you listening in?)

But honestly, I have been so impressed by Viking’s responsiveness to our suggestions/comments. They even found ginger beer for our dark-and-stormy.

We are, however, having a bit of an issue with noises in our stateroom. These are most noticeable at night when the ship increases its speed and the seas are rolling (as in the past two nights). Something in the wall behind the headboard slams/bangs with each roll of the sea, and sometimes this cascades down to the wall in the sitting area. These are not normal creakings, and keep us wide awake until sleep finally takes over.

The end of our cruise sadly is coming into view (four more days). I’m starting to taper off the eating to get back to normalcy ... but not the imbibing. And what will I do without my daily Azulann-fix??

Is there generally an issue with cabin noise aboard the ship? We are sailing on the Sun in a few months and are very light sleepers. Has anything been done to fix this problem?

Is there generally an issue with cabin noise aboard the ship? We are sailing on the Sun in a few months and are very light sleepers. Has anything been done to fix this problem?

No, not a general problem by any means.

The noise from the Ocean Patter's cabin and two other cabins were the only ones that were noted at our 2nd meet and greet.

Viking responded and tried to find the source. In one case, it was a metal buckle that was loose on a line outside of the cabin on the upper deck.

It seem to be only when sailing thorugh some deep swells for a couple of nights.

As to sound coming from the hallways... you will not hear anything inside your cabin.

No, not a general problem by any means.

The noise from the Ocean Patter's cabin and two other cabins were the only ones that were noted at our 2nd meet and greet.

Viking responded and tried to find the source. In one case, it was a metal buckle that was loose on a line outside of the cabin on the upper deck.

It seem to be only when sailing thorugh some deep swells for a couple of nights.

As to sound coming from the hallways... you will not hear anything inside your cabin.

We were in 3008 on Sky and during the big swells we had during our crossing there was minor squeaking and such but there was also for us and for those cabins at least from ours forward to the bow a VERY loud clanging every so often. The folks in the forward most cabin had it worst but it was enough to make me wonder what it was...those folks thought it was the anchor chain...which it could have been. It was LOUD metal to metal sound.

We also heard rehearsals from the theatre and the shows on those few nights we were in our room. And the birds from the restroom below could be heard in our bathroom.

I’d suggest beinging ear plugs if you are a lite sleeper.

What floor are staying on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums