Sun on transatlantic

Daddyglove

Hi i am sure this has been asked before but we are looking to book a balcony on a transatlantic cruise on Britannia in October sailing from Southampton and would like to know which side if any would i be best booking for the sun to sit on balcony and get a tan

cheers

Hi i am sure this has been asked before but we are looking to book a balcony on a transatlantic cruise on Britannia in October sailing from Southampton and would like to know which side if any would i be best booking for the sun to sit on balcony and get a tan

cheers

Port side from Southampton. That’s what I’ve booked. Starboard from Barbados to Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, Port side from Southampton. We did this last year and had lots of sun on Balcony but on the Starboard side they had none. I would always book Select for a transatlantic for this very reason. I would also recommend booking a Superior Deluxe Balcony on a Transatlantic as they only work out to the about the same cost or lower than a standard balcony does on the standard fly cruises. Lots more room.

please excuse my lack of nautical knowledge but port out starboard in doesn't always work - far from it, take the example of aurora at the moment which for the past 2 days has been travelling at 260degs and will continue to do so until reaching Antigua which means the sun would be setting on the starboard side if any or if altered to 270degs would be heading direct west and no one would get the sun on the way over - vice versa of course for the return .... cheers

please excuse my lack of nautical knowledge but port out starboard in doesn't always work - far from it, take the example of aurora at the moment which for the past 2 days has been travelling at 260degs and will continue to do so until reaching Antigua which means the sun would be setting on the starboard side if any or if altered to 270degs would be heading direct west and no one would get the sun on the way over - vice versa of course for the return .... cheers

That is assuming that Aurora is on the equator.

As the ship is north of the equator the sun will be on the port side for most of the day and only just reaching the starboard side around sunset.

That is assuming that Aurora is on the equator.

As the ship is north of the equator the sun will be on the port side for most of the day and only just reaching the starboard side around sunset.

disagree - sorry. they are definitely north of the equator - transatlantic travelling south of west all the way to Antigua - impossible for the sun to be on the port side all day - unless the sun doesn't set in the west anymore

disagree - sorry. they are definitely north of the equator - transatlantic travelling south of west all the way to Antigua - impossible for the sun to be on the port side all day - unless the sun doesn't set in the west anymore

We have been twice from Southampton to Caribbean, once to Antigua and once to St Maarten, both via Madeira. Both times we had sun most of the day on the Port Side balcony and passengers on Starboard side had little or no sun for the whole crossing. I don't understand the science of it but that is what happened.

We have been twice from Southampton to Caribbean, once to Antigua and once to St Maarten, both via Madeira. Both times we had sun most of the day on the Port Side balcony and passengers on Starboard side had little or no sun for the whole crossing. I don't understand the science of it but that is what happened.

ok I give in also lol

It is pretty simple on the transatlantic crossing, most of the time (Southampton to Barbados direction) the ship is sailing Westwards so Port Side Balconies face the South. Southampton to Madeira this is not the situation.

Regards John

I did say the ship is north of the equator. Your argument seemed to be based on the ship being on the equator.

If the ship is heading southwest you will get port side sun. for the majority of the day

It's not rocket science! The sun rises in the east and sets in the west and is due south around midday in the northern hemisphere.

It's not exact due to time zones and the 'equation of time' and once inside the tropics it can be a little more complicated but basically If you are travelling from Funchal to the Caribbean the port side will be favoured for most of the day and vice verca when returning home.

We book aft balconies overlooking the wake. That way you get sun most of the day whichever way you are going.

Not only that but the superstructure of the ship shelters you from wind created by the forward motion of the ship